Author Topic: Hello From Kentucky!  (Read 597 times)

kymountainman

Hello From Kentucky!
« on: July 04, 2019, 11:47:00 PM »
I am a seasoned player, from Kentucky, that has been playing for a little over 30 years.  Well, technically, I've owned a guitar for 35 years, but I took a 5 year break during my first marriage.   ;D

My musical focus is on Bluegrass, Country, Blues, old Classic Rock tunes, and Music Theory on the guitar.

Would you believe it if I told you that in my 30+ years of playing the guitar I've never played an electric?  Nope, never have and probably never will.   My ear is tuned to the sound of wood and steel, and I personally don't care for Electric guitars. 

At any rate ... I recently purchased my first Taylor, and was wondering what took me so long to try them out.  I live in a small rural community, and started out playing Alvarez and Yairi guitars back around 1985.  I was a die hard Alvarez and Martin fan until a local buddy let me play his 614CE-V a couple months back.  I've been a convert since that evening!  I've sold / traded a Martin 000-16GT, D10E, D-18, and 000-18 to buy a "New in Box" Taylor Custom 414CE-V from Guitar Center, and never looked back.    Just last night I purchased my second, and most played guitar to date, a GS- Mini Ivangkol, and couldn't be happier with my purchase.  It was a toss up between the Mini and a 150E that was hanging on the wall at Moore Guitars in Evansville, and I decided I'd get the Mini today, and talk to the wife into letting me pick up the 150E next week.  Or, maybe a 'El Cajon' model if I can find one I like in my price range.

At any rate, I'll stop talking and get to posting.  I'm glad I ran across this group, and hope to learn a few more things.  I'm sure to have a few questions along the way. 

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hello From Kentucky!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:22:01 AM »
Welcome, you are not alone. In my 46 years of playing guitar, I have never owned an electric guitar. Congrats on your new Taylor's, maybe you could share some pictures of them with us.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 12:00:47 PM »
Welcome to our forum. I too was a dyed-in-the-wool Martin fan until 1997, when I acquired my first Taylor. While there are a lot of good makers out there, you've got to find what works for you, regardless of the  name on the headstock. Taylors have a lot to offer, and I hope you get to take full advantage of their offerings. Play on!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »
Great to have you here and congrats on your new Taylors!  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard