Author Topic: Any Other "Spendy" Hobbies?  (Read 4734 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Any Other "Spendy" Hobbies?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 11:33:45 AM »
Well this is a horribly...........expensive thread!  ;D

Those watches above.........gosh...I'm also a watch guy.....and recently just started to collect specific baseball cards again...
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 01:38:57 PM »
... just started to collect specific baseball cards again...

Got this one yet...?  That one's a bit on the expensive side too...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »
Health insurance!
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »
Well, back to the "spendy hobbies" aspect, I threw the shutter on my Canon 6D MKII while at the Mecum auto auction in Kissimmee two weeks ago.

I'm a CPS Platinum member, so I get a discounted repair rate and fast turnaround, but it'll still be $200 or so to fix...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
The repair bill on my 6D MKII is $339, plus standard overnight shipping of $23.

Canon covers the overnight shipping both ways and the 30% discount on the repair for my CPS status brought the total repair cost down to $237.30.

I can live with that...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 12:50:53 PM »
The repair bill on my 6D MKII is $339, plus standard overnight shipping of $23.

Canon covers the overnight shipping both ways and the 30% discount on the repair for my CPS status brought the total repair cost down to $237.30.

I can live with that...

Gotta be cheaper than a new camera body...  I recently had to shell out over $600 to have my 2013 MacBook Pro repaired:  video was crapping out, and Apple replaced the logic board, sound board, speakers, and heat sink for the flat-rate repair fee -- and I hadn't even lodge a complaint about the sound quality.  It was money I definitely could have used somewhere else at the moment, but comparable replacement models start around $2,400...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 10:33:58 AM »
Gotta be cheaper than a new camera body.

Oh, absolutely.

I could pick up a used 6D MKII for well under a grand, but I wouldn't know anything about it (shutter count, etc).

I have a rule: I'll fix the shutter on a camera once (nothing else ever really seems to break). If it breaks again, it's time for a new camera.

My repaired camera should be here Monday...

jbobb1

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »
RC Helicopters Can spend a lot of money!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:58:14 PM by jbobb1 »

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2020, 05:05:20 PM »
That picture is waaaaay too big to view on a computer monitor. Can you resize it?

jbobb1

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 03:59:34 PM »
Hope the change is better. I'm not too computer saavy!

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2020, 12:42:32 AM »
Hope the change is better. I'm not too computer saavy!

Nicely done!!

416ce

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2020, 11:51:22 PM »
I think we can all agree that, once you're bitten by "GAS", guitars can become an expensive hobby. And, if you like to collect guitars from certain luthiers, the costs can eclipse that of some fine automobiles.

But what about other pursuits?

I'm big into photography. While I still earn money with it (I work for a small local magazine and shoot for a couple of nationwide race companies), it's still my passion; one which I've had since the mid-1970's. I almost always have a proper (read: not a cell phone) camera with me. While I cringe if I spend too much at the grocery store, I think nothing of dropping cash on new camera gear. I've currently got five Canon DSLR's, and I'm looking at adding one more, if not two, to the line-up in the near future.

Lenses? Geez, don't get me started. They're more important than the bodies in most cases so, naturally, I need to have a lot of them, and I do. 600mm, anyone??

Sadly, I've learned that "GAS" isn't an affliction that affects only guitarists!

I also enjoy traveling, both domestically and internationally. I've been to Ireland, Italy and Scotland in the last ten months and have more boxes to check off on the ol' bucket list. I'm heading to New York on Saturday for two weeks, and then Ohio (and the Rock n' Roll Hall Of Fame!) in July.

So, what else do you spend your money on?

Wow I did not know they came out with a full Thermos now! I only got the half version of that when it first came out.

So far it's the Canon 40D/60D : Fuji X-100 Black LE 8)

Would like to venture in on a Leica and Sony. ;)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:37:26 PM by 416ce »

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 09:37:52 AM »

Wow I did not know they came out with a full Thermos now! I only got the half version of that when it first came out.

So far it's the Canon 40D/60D : Fuji X-100 Black LE 8)

Would like to venture in on a Leica and Sony........It was either that or Rolex watches. (one so far) ;)

I've got a 40D, as well, although it's gotta' be two years since I've turned it on. It was my last crop body; went full frame with a 5D after that.

My daughter turned me on to the Fuji X100F. Man, what a cool little camera. With the fixed 23mm lens you've got to get creative sometimes, but I dig it. Once upon a time I would always have a DSLR with me. Now, if I'm not shooting with a DSLR the X100F is always within arm's reach...

416ce

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 01:40:05 PM »
Canons are great amongst others, just preferential taste. Reminds me to grab the 40D when I get home and turn on just in case the innards are beginning to stick etc. :(
The Fuji's in other hand is a wonderful camera, I do a lot of street shooting with my X100 and to this day it's all the MP i need really , fast or not it does the job as I take my time anyways with shots. The 60D I use to film with. Great hobbies guitars and cameras. 8)