Author Topic: Any Other "Spendy" Hobbies?  (Read 4735 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
Any Other "Spendy" Hobbies?
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:52:01 PM »
I think we can all agree that, once you're bitten by "GAS", guitars can become an expensive hobby. And, if you like to collect guitars from certain luthiers, the costs can eclipse that of some fine automobiles.

But what about other pursuits?

I'm big into photography. While I still earn money with it (I work for a small local magazine and shoot for a couple of nationwide race companies), it's still my passion; one which I've had since the mid-1970's. I almost always have a proper (read: not a cell phone) camera with me. While I cringe if I spend too much at the grocery store, I think nothing of dropping cash on new camera gear. I've currently got five Canon DSLR's, and I'm looking at adding one more, if not two, to the line-up in the near future.

Lenses? Geez, don't get me started. They're more important than the bodies in most cases so, naturally, I need to have a lot of them, and I do. 600mm, anyone??

Sadly, I've learned that "GAS" isn't an affliction that affects only guitarists!

I also enjoy traveling, both domestically and internationally. I've been to Ireland, Italy and Scotland in the last ten months and have more boxes to check off on the ol' bucket list. I'm heading to New York on Saturday for two weeks, and then Ohio (and the Rock n' Roll Hall Of Fame!) in July.

So, what else do you spend your money on?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 08:11:15 PM by Shutterbug »
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Any Other "Spendy" Hobbies?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »
These days, not that much.  In the past I have spent a LOT of money on: owning and flying a Cessna, Gold Wing motorcycles and good riding gear, competitive target shooting (ammo can add up if you expend 10,000+ rounds per year), scuba diving including trips to warm and exotic places, and kayaking.  Music expenses included PA gear for performing, but my Guitar Acquisition has slowed considerably.  I've been to 16 week-long music camps too in Alaska and Hawaii, but having curtailed all commercial flying means no more camps for me.

I'm a recovering photographer, but that "12 F-stop" program worked wonders -- haven't touched my pre-digital film cameras or lenses or darkroom equipment in years, and the last time was to shoot a friend's wedding for her about 15 years ago.  Funny how the camera bag that was once so very important to me and now sits untouched in the garage.  BTW, nice 600 mm lens.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
I think we can all agree that, once you're bitten by "GAS", guitars can become an expensive hobby. And, if you like to collect guitars from certain luthiers, the costs can eclipse that of some fine automobiles.

Funny you mention fine automobiles, my other hobby.  If I didn't get into it decades ago, too expensive to get in now.

www.stage1registry.com
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Violeiro

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:46:09 AM »
Mine used to be guns. My guns collection is mostly 1911s and AR15s, however it has been shrinking since I got into guitars  ;D

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:49:48 AM by Violeiro »
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:34:12 AM »
I'm a recovering photographer, but that "12 F-stop" program worked wonders -- haven't touched my pre-digital film cameras or lenses or darkroom equipment in years, and the last time was to shoot a friend's wedding for her about 15 years ago.  Funny how the camera bag that was once so very important to me and now sits untouched in the garage.

I've got a couple of medium format film bodies; a Mamiya 645 Pro, a Bronica RB67 and a Hasselblad 555ELD. I've toyed with the idea of trying to find a digital back for one of them, but they're expensive as Hell. I haven't run film through any of them since the Clinton administration, and the results were wonderful. Medium format definitely ups your game, but its use is somewhat limited...

BTW, nice 600 mm lens.

Thanks. It's a beast. I've thought about selling it over the years, but I can never bring myself to do it. It's not the most practical piece of glass Canon has ever made but, man, if I ever go on that African safari...!
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:37:38 AM »
Mine used to be guns. My guns collection is mostly 1911s and AR15s, however it has been shrinking since I got into guitars  ;D

I've got a few firearms; 15, maybe? My favorite piece is my Dad's Colt Government Model .380 that I got after he passed away. It's my go-to CWP sidearm.

I got into guns around the same time I got into watches, which has proven to be yet another drain on my wallet!

Violeiro

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »

I've got a few firearms; 15, maybe? My favorite piece is my Dad's Colt Government Model .380 that I got after he passed away. It's my go-to CWP sidearm.

I got into guns around the same time I got into watches, which has proven to be yet another drain on my wallet!

Nice!!!

I am no longer into them anymore. They were seating on my safe just for pride of ownership, I started selling them and buying guitars which I am enjoying soooo much more. I will keep a few of course, and lots of ammo in case the zombies attack. But definetly not interested in buying or keeping what I don't need anymore.
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 11:28:53 AM »
I've been shooting competitively since 1977, so the 1911 and AR platforms are near and dear to me.  I too am doing less shooting and reloading over the past few years, but still get my hand into a match now and again.  Knee replacements made standing and kneeling position feasible again, but my recent rotator cuff surgery (dominant hand side) has sidelined my pistol matches for the year. 

I am back to playing guitar, however.  Fingerstyle can now go for an hour, but 20 minutes of strumming still jostles the healing tissues a bit too much.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

bukarew

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 06:09:13 PM »
Guns and guitars....two ways to really keep a wife on edge about toys.  Bless her heart, bad luck being married to someone with two expensive illnesses! I shoot some sporting clays and used to shoot 1911's competitively a long time ago.
2004 Taylor 514ce cedar
2001Taylor 512ce Adi
2016 Taylor 214-ce qm deluxe
2015 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2012 Martin HD28
2014 Martin HD16R adi
2001 Martin D15
2013 Martin 000EC
2013 Martin LX1E Ed Sheeran
PRS SE24
Ibanez AF75
Fender Tele
Fender American Strat
Epiphone Sheraton

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 08:13:57 PM »
Nothing besides guitars - and now that's all but stopped now that I'm retired ( I know, we'll see...). I used to be a pedigree cat breeder with my now ex-wife in the 80s and 90s. That was expensive to say the least - we sold kittens, but we traveled a lot to all the competitions - then there's care and feeding, vet bills, yaddy yadda....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »
It would probably be easier to list my inexpensive hobbies -- of which I seem to have very few...!  No matter what hobby grabs my interest, it seems to costs money...!  Fortunately, I have only myself to answer to for the expenditures...  And I almost never trade or sell; just accumulate...  On the upside, I tend to meander from one hobby to another at any given point in time, so I'm not spending money on all of them simultaneously...

But one or another responder to this thread has already covered most of my expensive ones:  coins, photography, firearms, aviation, cars, SCUBA diving, guitars.

I've been shooting competitively since 1977, so the 1911 and AR platforms are near and dear to me...

I did some local-level IPSC competitions when I was living in Virginia and Kansas in the mid- to late-90's; also tried my hand at some high-power rifle.

... My favorite piece is my Dad's Colt Government Model .380 that I got after he passed away...

Similar to you, I wound up with one of my father's prized pistols when he passed away:  a Colt Model 1905 Marine Corps.  It's one of the civilian models; less than 1,000 made.  My father had served in the Marine Corps during the Korean War, so anything connected to the Marines was special to him.  He had stipulated that the pistol was not to be sold; he wanted it to remain a family heirloom.  So it will get passed on to one of my nephews.

Funny you mention fine automobiles, my other hobby.  If I didn't get into it decades ago, too expensive to get in now.

My youngest brother was always into the classic GS Buicks -- although he's never owned one.  And like you said, with the values always reaching for the sky, he's not likely to ever own one (pardon the pun) at this stage...

I myself gravitated to the Corvettes and Pontiacs.  I still own a 1989 Firebird Formula that I ordered new from the factory; it only has 53,000 miles on it.  What makes it unique (other than the low mileage and almost complete originality) is that it has a 5.0L tuned-port V8 with a 5-speed manual transmission and a factory dual-catalytic-converter exhaust system.  Very rare combination.  Production numbers are largely based on speculation for these cars, as the records have seemingly been lost by GM, but Car & Driver magazine once hinted that mine may be one of only about 50 built that year...

Some years later I picked up a 1998 Corvette coupe in a rare color (Aztec Gold Metallic); it's one of only fifteen built in the color, and in fact, mine is the final one built (#15 in the sequence).  Then, to tie in that hobby with guitars, I picked up an early Taylor T5, also in Aztec Gold.  So I have a C5 and a T5 in the same color (see attached photo)...! :)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

sacredground

• Give me a good guitar...or two good guitars, or...
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 07:31:59 PM »
Going fast on bicycles. Carbon. Titanium. It’s a sickness!!! Right now I’m allowed only three guitars. But only TWO bikes. My world is a dark wasteland...
Making music since 1973

Lowden Bensusan adi over honduran rw
Lowden Pierre Bensusan Old Lady
2019 Taylor 914ce V Class Sitka over EIR
2019 614ce Torrefied Sitka over flamed maple

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 02:33:21 AM »
Horses, hence my UTGF name. They eat a lot and there are some significant expenses associated with having these large pets including feed, tack, vet bills, barn maintenance etc. But I couldn't imagine looking out my back door and not seeing them.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:36:49 AM by Guitar Cowboy »
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 12:09:08 PM »
1.  Bird Watching.  Swarovski binoculars, Leica spotting scope, special software,  lots of gasoline $$ spent tracking down desirable birds, etc.  Relatively speaking, 1/10 the investment of GAS.
2.  Wine.  Have around 150 bottles, some dating back to the 1980's, and a 1970 vintage port .  Total value somewhere near a custom Taylor made from any wood other than Brazilian.  Most expensive bottle now worth somewhere around a GS Mini, originally bought for what around three packs of Elixirs cost.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:05:47 PM by Jersey tuning »
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »
My youngest brother was always into the classic GS Buicks -- although he's never owned one.  And like you said, with the values always reaching for the sky, he's not likely to ever own one (pardon the pun) at this stage...

I myself gravitated to the Corvettes and Pontiacs.  I still own a 1989 Firebird Formula that I ordered new from the factory; it only has 53,000 miles on it.  What makes it unique (other than the low mileage and almost complete originality) is that it has a 5.0L tuned-port V8 with a 5-speed manual transmission and a factory dual-catalytic-converter exhaust system.  Very rare combination.  Production numbers are largely based on speculation for these cars, as the records have seemingly been lost by GM, but Car & Driver magazine once hinted that mine may be one of only about 50 built that year...

Some years later I picked up a 1998 Corvette coupe in a rare color (Aztec Gold Metallic); it's one of only fifteen built in the color, and in fact, mine is the final one built (#15 in the sequence).  Then, to tie in that hobby with guitars, I picked up an early Taylor T5, also in Aztec Gold.  So I have a C5 and a T5 in the same color (see attached photo)...! :)

SWEET!!!!!!
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX