Author Topic: Taylor Neck Differences Question  (Read 12429 times)

zyx345

Taylor Neck Differences Question
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
First post on this forum, thanks for having me.  :)  I've been playing acoustic a lot more these days and I have a Takamine G series guitar which has a 1 5/8" nut width which I like. Its a great couch and travel guitar, but its all laminate so I'd like to have a Taylor xCE to accompany it.

Anyone who has played both the 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" nut width Taylors, do you notice a considerable difference in the two?  I ask because I heard that the difference is subtle and I am considering the Modify a Model program for an xCE.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Taylor Neck Differences Question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:59:20 PM »
I haven't played a 1 11/16" Taylor neck...but my "other" guitar has that nut size.  My Taylor that I got this year...does have the
1 3/4" nut size...and I really did notice the difference.  I use a capo quite often and many songs that I play happen to be capo'd on the 4th fret.  That's when I really noticed the difference.

Welcome to the forum as well!!!  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

byrd

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:36:05 AM »
I can't answer your directly, but I will mention something that may be worth noting. 

I currently have a 714ce.  Prior to purchasing it, I "test drove" a 314ce for about 2 weeks.  On the old Taylor web site (the info doesn't seem to be listed on the new site), both models were spec'd as having 1 3/4" nuts with 15" radius necks.  What was not mentioned was the string spacing.  Unfortunately, I did not take an actual measurement of the string spacing on the 314ce, but I can say that the spacing at the nut on the 714ce, which is 1.555in (take from the outside of both E strings), was most definitely wider that the 314ce.  I have an old junker Oscar Schmidt, that had very similar spacing to the 314ce. I never noticed any difference when swapping between the two.  The Oscar Schmidt spacing is about a 1/10" narrower than the 714ce, so I would say that the 314ce is roughly the same.

I'll add, that the spacing of the 714 threw me for a little bit of a loop for the first week or so of playing it.  The difference seems quite subtle, but it did take me a bit to adjust.  My accuracy (which isn't stellar to begin with) when forming chords and flat picking was a bit off until I got used to it.  Also, with the same width neck/nut and wider spacing, the strings are closer to the edge of the fretboard.  Until I adjusted, I frequently pushed the high and low E strings off the sides of the fretboard.  This was probably bad form on my part to begin with, and happens very rarely at this point.  NOW, I'm really enjoying the spacing.  It's much nicer for finger style, and much more forgiving for flatpicking.  It also much more comfortable for my large fingers.

Since the 1 11/16" nut is narrower than the 1 3/4" I'd suspect that the string spacing is also narrower.  It would be nice if Taylor listed these specs on their web site since the spacing isn't necessarily the same even if two different models have the same width nut.  This may be something to consider depending on what model(s) you are thinking about.

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 03:12:17 AM »
I just got my R Taylor Style 2 and did a 1 7/8 wide nut. I had tried one on a BTO at a road show, and liked it.. But generally most people prefer the 1 3/4 for their guitars...

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
All of my Taylors have a 1-3/4 nut width. My son has a 214 with the 1-11/16 nut width.    I play mainly solo finger style, and I definitely notice a difference when playing his guitar.  I find the 1-11/16 to be a bit cramped when moving my fretting fingers around.  I much prefer the 1-3/4, but if you mainly strum chords, the difference is not so significant in my opinion.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
I have three acoustics with the 1-3/4 nut, and one (my 000-18) with 1-11/16. I think that the 1-3/4 is a bit more comfortable over all, but the 1-11/16 nut is certainly playable as well. 1-5/8 is a very narrow nut for an acoustic.

I have no trouble switching from neck to neck, but from what I've noticed some people are more sensitive to neck size than I am. I recommend that you go try out some guitars and see what you think about nut sizes – that would be the best way to go.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »
First post on this forum, thanks for having me.  :)  I've been playing acoustic a lot more these days and I have a Takamine G series guitar which has a 1 5/8" nut width which I like. Its a great couch and travel guitar, but its all laminate so I'd like to have a Taylor xCE to accompany it.

Anyone who has played both the 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" nut width Taylors, do you notice a considerable difference in the two?  I ask because I heard that the difference is subtle and I am considering the Modify a Model program for an xCE.
hi zyx,
if you have a chance to try a 100 or 200 series model at your local music store, these
have a 1 11/16" nut & if the store has a T-5 or T-3 (also 1 11/16", with 24 7/8" scale),
it will give you some idea of how different neck carves will feel. also, the big Baby has
a 1 11/16" nut with a 25.5" scale, along with a slimmer-feeling carve to its neck profile

hope this helps
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
Hey there ...welcome to the forum!!

I have Taylors both in the 11/16th and 3/4 nut width.  There is a difference, but it is indeed subtle; only you and your preferences can determine whether the difference is insignificant or a deal breaker.

If I may use myself as an example, I had a 210E that I "liked" well enough, but the 11/16th nut width kinda bugged me.  That was years ago.  Fast forward to now where I have a DN-E where the very same nut width feels great and I love this guitar.  OK, so makes no sense, right; what gives?  Well, it's everything in sum.  Where on the 210 I had convinced myself that the nut width was part of the reason I "couldn't bond" and so needed to sell it, when in reality it had to do with the overall guitar and my brain likely just zeroed in on that one difference.  If the guitar sings to you, then the minor diff in width may not even play a role in your head.

On another Taylor with the standard 3/4" nut, not only do I find myself having no problem going back and forth, I don't even notice the difference ...except maybe when I have to do a thumb-wrap for a bass note, or more fingerpicking, then the minor difference in neck width plays a role, but not enough to make either guitar a "deal killer."

Bottom line is play both (all 100/200s are 11/16th nuts) and decide yourself which is the more comfortable.  Side note: resale may be a bit tougher for the narrower nut, not that this is a primary concern, but lets face it, we often tell ourselves "this one's gonna be a keeper."  And Michael raises an excellent point about T5s and their narrower neck carve.  Check that out, too, as carve and nut width are items you can "check off" should you choose to mod a model.  Just food for thought.  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:34:35 PM by Edward »

zyx345

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »
Thanks to all for all of the replies.  I went to GC and tried the following Taylors:

214ce
314ce
414ce
614ce
714ce, two of these

Although I normally like a 1 5/8" nut width, something about the neck carve and the mild V profile of the 1 3/4" necks made them feel comfortable and I feel as though I may be able to adjust to them.  I found the 1 11/16" nut width along with the neck carve on the 214ce to be not as comfortable as the 1 3/4" necks on the 414ce - 714ce's I played.  It was more of the top of the neck on the 214ce digging into the top joint of my thumb a little that I think would bother me longer term on the 1 11/16" neck.  With the 1 3/4" neck I was able to position my thumb more comfortably.   

This was the total opposite of what I was expecting.  So now the process begins with finding the right wood combos but I did like the sound of the 314ce the best out of the ones I've played so far. 

On another note, I also played a Martin OMCPA3 as well as a Martin Eric Clapton model which I thought were really nice as well.