Author Topic: What New Song Are Your Currently Working On?  (Read 11181 times)

TrampsLikeUs

Re: What New Song Are Your Currently Working On?
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »
I've been working on Eric Claptons unplugged version of Layla.  I first learned to play the 'TAB' notes of the two lead solo's,  now I'm working on putting those notes in rhythm.  It's tough.  But I'm getting it.  It's fun ! 
1985 Washburn D-12CE
2015 Ibanez Artcore AS73-TBC Electric
Washburn WCG66SCE GA Acoustic
Fender Statocaster SRV 1997 artist series
Taylor 856ce 12 string Indian Rosewood
Taylor K-14 2019 KOA Builder Edition
Taylor 2019 GS-Mini Koa  (2)
Taylor PS-18 2015 Tobacco Sunburst Sitka Spruce Top, W/ Brazilian Rosewood back/sides
Taylor GA Custom 2019 Sinker Redwood Top/ Cocobolo back/sides

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2021, 09:52:33 PM »
New update, or rather not so new at times.

"I Walk the Line" by Johnny Cash
Getting a good rhythm is still the hardest part. I actually now do it slightly slower and it seems a whole lot better for me. I think I was rushing it.

"Save the Last Dance For Me" the Drifters.
Still very pleased where this is right now.

"Black Mountain Side" by Jimmy Page
From last time,"Started, but tough sledding so far. Real life intrudes. Will probably tune my 355 12 string jumbo to DADGAD in the near future. May help inspire me on this one."

Well I dropped the ball on this, but started it up again last week, so still under construction. Not as easy as I thought (hoped?) it might be.

On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I did tune my 355 to DADGAD, but since I started tuned at D# standard, I ended up tuned down two semitones to C# Keltic for lack of a better term. Sounds great though, maybe because I'm used to my 12 strings being tuned down a notch. Real life is unavoidable, but finding a bit of time here and there.

"Ain't MIsbehavin"
. . . kind of petered out. I guess I misbehaved. Couldn't come up with an arrangement that I liked, so it's on the shelf for a while. Oddly enough, I do go back to earlier stuff, just not always sooner than later.

"Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out"
Got a more than working version going, but ran out of gas deciding which lyrics to use. Ended up using a lot of arpeggios as I thought, and swapped out that D7th in the E shape for a cowboy D7th to make the fingering easier, and also to use my little finger to hint a 'D' note/shape during the measure. That 'D' note also serves as a passing note to the next 'E' note on the treble string which is also becomes the passing 6th for the G6th Chord which ends the measure and verse. Using arpeggios, the F major followed by the F# dim still sounds delicious.

I think I'm talking myself back into getting back into this song again. 

Random recent thoughts and things:

"Somethin' Else" by Eddie Cochran has been running round my brain. Thinking of using a Mr Bassman kind of thing to fill in the drum/bass parts in between the words. Just a catchy thing is this song. Might lead to a rejuvenation of "Summertime Blues" for me too.

Playing as instrumentals, the Irish song, "Rising of the Moon", and Donovan's "Three Kingfishers" raga style on the now C# Keltic-tuned 12 String was a epiphany for me. Wow. The drone effect was amazing, which closely mimics a Uilleann pipes role for the "Rising of the Moon". And the drones played a big part in filling in for a multi string raga instrument like a sarod or a sitar.

And because I renewed my acquaintance in the Music Association Game thread with the Johnny Cash versions of If "I were a Carpenter" (duet with June) and "You Are My Sunshine", I kind of put those songs into my sights (and ears and brain). Already picked out the chords and notes for "You are my Sunshine", along with the lyrics. Actually a sadder song than I remember.

Due to too many barre chords, I now play "My Back Pages" in C instead of E on my 458e-R 12 string (tuned standard to D#). Good news is the solo can still be played in the octave courses.
Always loved the Byrds version. And speaking of which, "The Bells of Rhymney" is still in my mix, mostly using a Thumb and two-finger picking with occasional lapses back to thumb and three.

About "Walk Don't Run", I wrote,
"Kind of stalled out with not having something I like for the drum solo. Tried a few finger tapping things, but didn't like any of them. Thinking of something along the lines of slapping the strings over chord(s) and capping it off with a descending note thing, maybe the same one used a few times already from the Ventures version. Maybe just slap descending chords instead of notes (E,D,C,B,A) for that part?"
Haven't come up with anything I like yet, so I guess I'm waiting for inspiration, but that's not something you can conjure up. Might even come from something totally unassociated with music. Just have to be open to receive it.

Enough for now, Hopefully not too wordy, but I get a kick out of learning and researching new things. Which is why I will eventually get back "with Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out". With which I have already had a great deal of fun. Gonna try it on 12 string tomorrow with my 458, which is tuned standard, down to D#. Just got that idea while writing this. Might spark up "Ain't Misbehaving" too.

Edit> So I took my own advice, tried 'Down and out' on both 12 and 6 strings. Especially after playing it twice on the 12 string, this song is a lot more fun again now on both 12 and 6 strings. Renewed my interest in an interesting song. Hit me with your best shot. Bam!

Be well all, and be safe,
Don
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:39:35 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2021, 09:02:05 PM »
I've added one of my originals back into the mix, and it's taken on a whole new life. I'm using banjo tuning in the key of G. Nice harmonics, great imagery in the lyrics, fun to sing - and best of all, it's a love song to my precious wife!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2021, 01:10:34 AM »
I think Beatle Paul
said it all
about this.

What's wrong with that?  8)

Don
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 01:14:48 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2021, 03:00:50 AM »
3 AM by Matchbox 20.
 I’ve been struggling with the rhythm for years , but now finally getting it .
By the way, check my post time
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Jetster

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2021, 02:49:39 AM »
I've got a name, Jim Croce

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »
Three songs that I wrote in the last few months.  One about a hike in New Hampshire with a surprising discovery("Mountain Bird"), one about my first car ("White Wonder '62"), one about the enduring winters in the Northeast ("Winter Solstice", aka "April, Will She Come?").
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2021, 02:57:03 PM »
Update: three new original songs written: "Thanks To Grace" and "Ears To Hear" along with what may be permanently an instrumental appropriately titled "Wordless Meditation"!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2021, 02:05:57 PM »
Two songs by the Zombies -- She's Not There and Tell Her No
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2021, 01:21:31 PM »
Two songs by the Zombies -- She's Not There and Tell Her No

Good choices. Couple of my favorites.

Don
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2021, 12:06:37 AM »
Q3

Sometimes I fiddle with songs and ideas and they only get so far and then kind of wait in guitar limbo when something else catches my ear. One song which I've been fiddling with for 55 years is "It's Only Love" by the Beatles. Resurrected it yet again and worked out a new arrangement as an instrumental and I like it a lot (again). On 6 string for now, but only a matter of time before I see if it works on a 12. Not quite ready to try that yet and not all songs sound good making the transition. Play it in 'C' and mostly worried about some crazy transposing 'G' chord variant at the end of the verses. Can barely do it on a 6, but for a 12, who knows? That's why it's still being worked on.

Gave up on a  drum solo substitute for now for "Walk Don't Run" and simply integrated it 'as is' into both 6 and 12 playlists. Enough that I have a whammy bar substitute for the ending.

Currently learning "Massachusetts" by the BeeGees. Inspired by a video done acoustically from a Mike Douglas TV show. 3 brothers, 2 guitars, and that vocal by Robin. Wow. Playing it in 'G'. As a bonus, as I was working out the melody, I played this variant intro on the basic melody and bent the note over 'back' (lyric) in the first line at the 'A' on the 'e' string. I was playing my new Epiphone spruce over solid maple J-200 at the time, and during the (not excessive) bend, the A note was still echoing from the body as I raised the note slightly for emphasis, maybe to A# and it just hung there. Amazing sounds including the overtones. I'm keeping that bit in there. Think I've got a working melody so far, and maybe just need some chordal hints to make it into an outro, or a full outro and/or break. Plan a vocal over arpeggio chords for the most part.

Got working lyrics and guitar chords so far for "S.O.S.", but don't know how that will turn out. Never tried an ABBA song before. Thinking 'country' style for some reason. Playing it in 'G', and there's a neat Gsus4 in the chorus to play with.

Don

« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 12:40:46 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2021, 12:57:59 AM »
Q4 '21

Not as much song progress per se, since I've spent a lot of time acclimating myself to my new Epiphone Inspired By Gibson J-200. Actually been using it for some new-to me stuff as part of my learning process-

Beatles "It's Only Love" coming along nicely. Beatles intro is also their outro, so now using arppegiated chords for background for lyrics, and one verse and chorus of my instumental arrangement for the the outro. Coming together nicely, but still needs some more work.

"S.O.S." has been a bit ignored by me, but I still like the idea even without the piano and THOSE singers. (sigh)

"Massachusetts" is working out much better than expected. Using my melodic variant as an intro, and also a full melody variant for an outro, ending on a variant arpeggio and a quick lick.

Now about trying new stuff on the Epi J-200, I actually went back to old stuff. That is, old stuff for me. One of the first songs I ever learned was "Big Rock Candy Mountain", but not the somewhat sanitized version by Burl Ives. It was on a record by a country singer who used a shadier version of the depression era song. The record was one I had 'inherited' from a grand uncle who had passed. The record also included a version of "Rye Whiskey", which was one of the first two songs I learned. Maybe/probably both about the same time. Which was kind of fun for a 7 or 8 year old. Anyway, it was a good thing for me to re-visit, and a good simple initiation for my J-200, even if I only remember the first verse of that version of "Big Rock Candy Mountain".

The first two records I bought (on '45 rpm) were "Caribbean" by Mitchell Torok and "Red River Rock", an instrumental by Johnny and the Hurricanes featuring a cheap organ sound and a smoking hot sax solo, presumably by Johnny. So "Red River Valley" and Caribbean were then on my radar. Caribbean is kind of a fun country style song with easy chords to figure out. Frankly that applies to Red River Valley too.

Burl Ives makes an appearance here, as "A Little Bitty Tear" was one of my grandfather's favorite singers and songs, and I played the '45 record whenever he wanted to hear it. He also hid it, but he had a wonderful singing voice. Add in "San Francisco Bay Blues" by one man band Jessie Fuller, and this was a lot of what I was playing for new (to me) playing material for quite a while, plus a lot of other stuff I usually play.

As a reminder to myself, I was playing around with the intro and chords for "Here Comes The Night" by Them. Love the intro (E => A ) notes, so this is a self-challenge to figure out something to play using that song.

Been listening to some Marty Robbins lately, and figured out "Big Iron", but there are a lot of lyrics as it is a 'story song', along the lines of "El Paso". So with "Ghost Riders in the Sky", I guess I got a lot of lyrics for my aging mind to wrap around those three.

Stones "Country Honk", aka "Honky Tonk Women", sounds real good on my new guitar, as does Johnny Horton's  Honky Tonk Man, and Lead Belly's "Midnight Special".

Kind of all over the place with all of this, but sometimes that just happens. As an aside to this, I have been known to spend a lot of time with some unfinished or unsatisfying arrangments. Took me years to arrive at an arrangement of "Spanish Harlem" that I liked.

Don
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 07:32:21 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

PaulWood

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2021, 08:19:32 AM »
Just started working on Jason Isball's 'Cover Me Up'. Saw a YouTube vid of him performing it in Nashville with the 400 Unit and his wife Amanda Shires. I was knocked out by the song and the arrangement. The arrangement part gives me a lot of work to do on Pro Tools to get an approximate backing track but I've managed to tie down Jason's guitar riffs (again, approximately!)

eatpasta

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2021, 05:33:17 PM »
I actually bought the Taylor that i have now specifically to (hopefully) go out and start playing live again

This is what Im currently working on;
- Ryan Adams: Sweet Caroline
- Dylan: Wagon Wheel
- Floyd: Wish You Were Here
- RHCP: Under the Bridge
- Jackie Green: Write a Letter Home
- Social Distortion: Ball and Chain
- Dixie Chicks: Easy Silence
- Jet: Shine on

I have a few more but this is my active list.....there's just not enough time to practice!  If only I didn't have a busy job, wife, two kids, and a garage full of motorcycles and some cars to maintain

:o
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time

TS Eliot

1970 Les Paul Custom - '54 Reissue
1983 Les Paul Standard - Tobacco burst
1991 Taylor 712
1994 Fender Strat (first guitar)
1995 Blueridge Acoustic
2005 Taylor Big Baby

Bob Womack

• Now we've got 'em where they want us!
    • The Musician's Room
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2021, 09:11:12 AM »
I spent the last quarter arranging, polishing, and working up a bunch of Christmas carols, songs, and hymns.  It's funny because these tend to be "comfort music," pieces that I remember from my childhood and have loved to revisit.  Though I play sessions, I have no live gig right now, so this music is just for me.  The pieces included:

Christmas...
New arrangements
Angels We Have Heard on High
It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
Joy to the World

Old and being polished
Tennessee Christmas
Greensleeves (What Child is This)
Silent Night
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (electric guitar) - I just wanted one "smoky bar" jazzy piece.

Hymns
Great is Thy Faithfulness (new)
My Faith Looks Up to Thee
We Gather Together
Our God Our Help In Ages Past

Bob

"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE  MUSICIAN'S ROOM