Author Topic: Tweaking the ES2  (Read 1830 times)

sacredground

• Give me a good guitar...or two good guitars, or...
Tweaking the ES2
« on: March 17, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »
Happy Sunday, everyone. Hoping I can get some direction on tweaking the treble end of the ES2. Playing this morning in the W-team and got some overly bright highs. I play into an high quality preamp, and have ruled out any outboard sound or processing issues. Have any of you tried adjusting the sensors in the bridge? I have the white paper from Taylor, but would appreciate any other insights.

Thanks, folks...appreciate this forum.

Greg aka Sacredground
Making music since 1973

Lowden Bensusan adi over honduran rw
Lowden Pierre Bensusan Old Lady
2019 Taylor 914ce V Class Sitka over EIR
2019 614ce Torrefied Sitka over flamed maple

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
Re: Tweaking the ES2
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 02:33:35 PM »
Hi Greg,

You can search the forum for many threads on ES2 adjustments.

Here's one - http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=9190.0

Good luck!
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:17:09 PM »
Not to be negative - I know that many folks like the ES2 - but I cannot help noticing all the threads here and elsewhere about struggling to tweak it, or replacing it outright.  To me the near-universal presence of ES2 is a major barrier to considering any new Taylor guitars.  You pay for the pickup whether you like it or not.  (I know that you can order without electronics, but I really prefer to test drive any guitar before buying).
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

sacredground

• Give me a good guitar...or two good guitars, or...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 06:00:59 PM »
Very helpful conversation with Taylor customer service. In another thread the comment was made that the sensors need only touch the bridge saddle lightly. Taylor echoed this, and suggested:

1. Back off each allen screw until it moves with almost no effort
2. Begin turning the allen screw clockwise until you feel it tap the sensor - sometimes it helps to reverse and do it a second time to get the feel of a slight touch
3. Set the ES2 bass and treble knobs at 12 o'clock [this is VERY important so that your tone is uncolored]
4. Take any pedals out of your signal chain and plug directly into your amp or PA - again, so that you're working only with the output of the ES2 with no added color or gain
5. Strum through some chords up the neck...fingerpick...play scales...whatever your style may be, and adjust the allen screws in 1/8 turn increments until you get your desired tone
6. After that you can add your pedals back into the signal chain

FWIW, I swear by the LR Baggs Session for adding warmth and compression: https://www.lrbaggs.com/preamps-di/session-di-acoustic-guitar-preamp

Hope this helps!

BTW, I won't be replacing the ES2 with an aftermarket pickup  ;D
Making music since 1973

Lowden Bensusan adi over honduran rw
Lowden Pierre Bensusan Old Lady
2019 Taylor 914ce V Class Sitka over EIR
2019 614ce Torrefied Sitka over flamed maple