Author Topic: Favorite travel guitar?  (Read 3259 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Favorite travel guitar?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 06:51:35 PM »
Another vote for the GS mini, of course!!!!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 03:06:44 PM »
Thanks so much, everyone.  I appreciate the thoughtful posts.  Lots of great ideas here.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

d18dan

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
I am a lurker on this forum just to keep tabs on Taylor stuff. I’d like to say that I have been flying across the country a lot the last few years and have been taking my Big Baby on board every time.  In its case it isn’t very thick and it always fits in the overhead.  I fly Alaska Airlines and have never been questioned about it. I also like its size, 15/16th dreadnaught with a full scale length of 25.5”. It puts out a very good sound and plays like butter.
Taylor JKSM 2000
Taylor Big Baby
Martin D18 1953
Guild JF30 1993

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 12:28:22 PM »
Another vote for the GS mini, of course!!!!

I just picked up a GS Mini this week and I cannot believe how good it is at fingerstyle.  For fingerstyle, it is superior to everything in my collection save my 324ce, and it yields very little to that one.   Because of its size, I understand why it is referred to as a travel guitar, but for fingerstyle in can hold its own against a number of full sized instruments. 

In terms of size, I think it could fit in an overhead compartment approximately 60-75% of the time.  I don't think it will work at all on some of the smaller jets.  My backpacker, which isn't in the Mini's league with respect to sound, is very slim and compact and is a more versatile traveler in that regard.   The backpacker is a perfect guitar to practice with and maintain my callouses while on vacation - if you can get past its tinny banjo like tone quality, it might be passable at a campfire, etc - but I wouldn't use it for anything more than that.

WalnutMan

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 03:37:04 PM »
I own the Journey OF-660 and think is sounds great for the small size. The neck is easy to remove and put back on and the hole thing fits in a bag that fits in the overhead compartment of the airplane.

Violeiro

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 05:36:34 PM »
I have not found a travel guitar that would call my attention. Mostly because I can't stand anything less 1.75 nut width...so having a guitar bit small to travel that I would not enjoy playing does not appeal to me.
I did just ordered a 317 to be my "travel" guitar this summer, but it is a full size guitar.
Psalm 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

Violeiro

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 10:16:32 AM »
My Voyage Air has served me well for years. Full size, full scale OM sized body. No compromise on tone, best sounding travel guitar I have ever tried. I will mention that at one point it would not fit into an overhead compartment on a flight.  Bonus points for a backpack style case that also accepts a laptop and all playing gear. 

https://www.voyageairguitar.com/songwriter-series/vaom-04

Wow, just saw this. Looks amazing! Love it... oh crap, now I have to get one  :o

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 07:52:10 AM »
I have not found a travel guitar that would call my attention. Mostly because I can't stand anything less 1.75 nut width...so having a guitar bit small to travel that I would not enjoy playing does not appeal to me.
I did just ordered a 317 to be my "travel" guitar this summer, but it is a full size guitar.
That 317 should be a great “travel” guitar. I just wanted to mention that the Rainsong line has 1.75 inch nuts, sizes from parlor on up, but the Shorty/OM size is the same as a Taylor GC and holds up well as well as having good sound. My Blackbird Lucky 13 checks those boxes as well and is a bit smaller.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Violeiro

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 08:24:43 AM »
Another thing I want on a travel guitar is NO electronics. I will be taking the guitar to the shore and the salt / moisture in the air will certainly start corroding the metals inside of the guitar.