Author Topic: Favorite travel guitar?  (Read 3263 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Favorite travel guitar?
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:59:38 PM »
I've got a 17-day trip to Europe planned for October, and I would very much like to bring a guitar with me.  Here are my criteria:

- Reasonably small
- Durable
- Decent sound
- Affordable
- (optional) full scale

I know lots of you use travel guitars, and I'm hoping you can recommend your favorites, and describe how your favorites address the above criteria.  Thanks in advance for your help.

- Dennis
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
Re: Favorite travel guitar?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:47:02 PM »
Dennis,

If I may suggest, travel guitars often require another compromise. Presuming plane travel, I think it would be helpful to share experiences simply traveling there and back with a specific guitar. How plane-friendly a guitar is might make all the difference. Can it be carried on board and stashed in an overhead should be important information. Or if it needs to be checked, what kind of cases should be recommended.

FrettingFlyer Dave might have some empirical info on this.

I have no experience myself with this, but had to give it some thought a few years ago, so I know how important this can be.

Have a safe and enjoyable journey.

And not to make light of the situation, I did watch "United Breaks Guitars", which does of course feature Taylor guitars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Don
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:51:10 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

GrainWave

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 01:55:29 AM »
Hi Dennis, I would suggest also looking into renting a 'proper' guitar when you're there, if you're going to be staying in the same general area.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 02:41:10 AM »
Hi Dennis, I would suggest also looking into renting a 'proper' guitar when you're there, if you're going to be staying in the same general area.

Hi GW,

I think if I were staying in a single major city, renting would be a very viable option, and your suggestion would be perfect.  But I'll be traveling all over Italy, mostly in small villages — one night here, one night there, etc. — so renting might be impractical.  Thanks for the idea though.  If I do a different kind of trip in the future, I'll definitely consider that.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:01:58 AM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 08:11:13 AM »
You do sacrifice one thing or another when purchasing a travel guitar. I will throw this one out there.....I just picked up  a Martin LXK2. Small, short (but decent) scale, decent tone, very durable, inexpensive, good quality and intonation, and fun!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:53:05 AM »
Its been a year or two  but  I have flown a couple of  times  with my GS -mini. It fits in the overhead bin as long as you are the first one in. I  always ask if I can board early , but  American  has never shown  any flexibility in that regard. I guess  they want you to pay for that privilege. I have not taken it with me recently  even though I had no problems when I did. I have to admit , I was super nervous during the pre-board and boarding process and finally relaxed when the guitar was safely stowed away.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 09:07:41 AM »
You're getting plenty of guitar suggestions already; I'll only add that my choice in this area has been the GS Mini; about the only place it fails your checklist of requirements is it's a short scale with a more narrow nut.

I'll also mention having seen a travel guitar somewhere that could be broken down (i.e., the neck came off of the body) into a more compact size, packed away inside it's case, then easily re-assembled for use.  I don't remember the brand, though; I don't how well it actually works in practice; and I never had a chance to play it to see how it sounded.

Switching to travel-related issues:  I know that the rules domestically say that the airline must accommodate musical instruments as carry-on luggage IF there is space available.  So, being cynical, if they claim it's a full flight and there's no space available, that's their way to dodge that requirement.  That being said, the one time I've traveled with a guitar (domestic US carrier, probably about 7-10 years ago now -- and before, as "Guitar Cowboy" points out, the airlines started nickel-and-diming folks for every little perk like pre-boarding...), the gate agent and crew were actually quite helpful:  the gate agent saw me standing there with a guitar case as I waited for general boarding and offered me pre-boarding; and the crew let me stow it in their closet up at the main cabin door.  Keep in mind that the rules for international travel (or domestic carriers abroad) may be different; you'd need to inquire.

I'm also not sure what the rules for carrying Humidipaks inside the guitar case would be if it was brought on as carry-on luggage.  TSA is fussy -- and also quite inconsistent from airport to airport -- about what they'll allow past the security checkpoint; and oddball things like Humidipaks tend to send them into "I don't know what it is, so it shall not pass..." mode.  Plus it's never been entirely clear to me what category Humidipaks would fall under on the TSA's "YES-NO" list.  But given they won't let passengers bring a bottle of water past the security checkpoint, I'm thinking whether it's considered a packet of water or a "gel substance," its chances of getting past security are low unless it falls below the minimum requirement for carried-on liquids & gels...  I personally wouldn't even bother with Humidipaks; or if I was going to be away for an extended period to a particularly arid part of the world, pick up one of those humidifiers that just has a sponge in it, and that can be wetted with tap water as necessary.

Good luck and have a safe trip!
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

29er

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 09:20:09 AM »
My Voyage Air has served me well for years. Full size, full scale OM sized body. No compromise on tone, best sounding travel guitar I have ever tried. I will mention that at one point it would not fit into an overhead compartment on a flight.  Bonus points for a backpack style case that also accepts a laptop and all playing gear. 

https://www.voyageairguitar.com/songwriter-series/vaom-04

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 11:48:38 AM »
For a travel guitar the Martin backpacker is the only one I've seen where you have a realistic chance of fitting it into 90% of the overhead bins of most aircraft.  It doesn't have a great tone, but if portability is your top factor, it is tough to beat.  The GS Mini which has a MUCH better overall sound does not seem like it will fit in some overhead compartments. 

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Everyone's definition of "compact" or "travel sized" varies wildly.  The best example I see over and again is the GSmini, recommended here and on innumerable places for its portability.  I dissent.  The GSm just isn't that much smaller than any full sized, full scale "smaller" guitar like a GC or "parlor" bodied guitar.  If I'm taking a GSm, I'd much rather have a full neck and scale length for the scant increase in size offers more feelgoods, IMHO.  But that's just me.

So in much of my previous travels and vacationing, I always toted my Baby Taylor.  I valued space saving with decent tone as my primary goal.  That was some time ago as in recent years, I've come to take a strat or tele.  Thin, light, and indestructible.  I don't have to plug in, but if I want to, I use my phone with JamUp and small apogee interface, earbuds and I'm good.  That said, if you're looking at acoustic, I don't think how anyone can not look at Voyage Air.  They get near universal praise for their playability and tone, and they are uber compact!  They come up used now and again, and I am always tempted, but I don't really want to put that much dough into such a narrow-focused instrument.  But one can easily see how it can check off one's boxes for the ultimate travel acoustic, again IMHO.

It's already been said: how you weigh each different criterion will help determine your ultimate choice.  :)

Edward

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 12:41:02 PM »
Last time I flew with my GS  mini , I did have humidipaks with me. (I  was traveling to Arizona, but didst think about the potential travel restrictions. They were highly scrutinized by TSA  and I eventually made it through, but I wouldn't  count on that again. Timfitz's  suggestion  of using sponge humidifier is  the way to go.
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 01:29:03 PM »
.....I'll also mention having seen a travel guitar somewhere that could be broken down (i.e., the neck came off of the body) into a more compact size, packed away inside it's case, then easily re-assembled for use.  I don't remember the brand, though; I don't how well it actually works in practice; and I never had a chance to play it to see how it sounded.....

The travel guitar that Tim mentioned is the Journey OF-660 in carbon fiber, or they also make less expensive versions in wood with the removable neck.  For a smaller guitar, it sounds pretty good (I do not own one, but have played them).  Ted at LA Guitar Sales is the go-to source.   https://journeyinstruments.com/product/carbon-fiber-of660/

Voyage Air is a good option too.  I used to own one but sold it.  However, when folded the neck heel sticks out beyond the outline of the backpack, which can be an issue at times in really small overheads.  It is also more vulnerable if you are forced to check it.

It is a given that for a travel guitar, you will give up something for the convenience.  It might be volume, sound quality, scale length, etc.  Personally I would choose a CA Cargo or an Emerald X7, but we already own both.  Back when I was traveling by air, I bought a used Seagull S6 and my most expendable hard case.  With minimal investment, it was a package that would satisfy as a player yet cause fewer tears if it were destroyed or lost.  Another option might be a $200 Yamaha FS700 (less used) or something similar.  From bitter experience, I don't trust airlines and their systems, period.  My solution was to leave a 114ce with friends in Anchorage, where most of my airline travel occurs these days.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

botofogo

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 02:29:58 PM »
I fly all the time with my GS Mini. I’ve personally never had a problem and I’m OK with the sound for the brief time I’m gone.
Mike
Some Taylors, some Martins, some Larrivees, a Gibson and a Waterloo.

sacredground

• Give me a good guitar...or two good guitars, or...
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »
I've looked around at carbon fiber guitars, the [I think out of production] Martin Backpacker, and a few others. The Taylor GS mini is reasonably priced and fits in a lot of spaces: airplane, van, compact car. You can get one used for $300, but you won't cry as hard if it gets crushed because you added it to your home insurance policy anyway.  8)
Making music since 1973

Lowden Bensusan adi over honduran rw
Lowden Pierre Bensusan Old Lady
2019 Taylor 914ce V Class Sitka over EIR
2019 614ce Torrefied Sitka over flamed maple

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 05:33:56 PM »
I travel for a living by air, and can almost always bring mine in the cockpit, but it has led me to try most of the travel guitars out there over the years. I carried a GS Mini for about 5 years, with no issues on trips where I wasn’t doing the flying. I did switch to carbon fibre a few years ago for durability and less worry if checked, plus lighter and a full scale with decent sound. I recently took my Blackbird Lucky13 to Europe and had no trouble fitting into overhead bins on British Airways on each flight. In it’s bag it looks small enough not get the “eye roll” from the gate agent or Inflight crew(yes, they prefer that title to Flight Attendant nowadays).
Blackbird also makes a Savoy which is made of a flax pressed linnen and sounds great, even smaller. As Earl pointed out the OF660 sounds good and fits into a backpack. I also travel with my Rainsong Shorty which is the size and scale of a Taylor GC 12fret and fits nicely in an Access Stage 1 small guitar gig bag.
In all, over a million air miles on the Mini, no problems. That would be your cheapest option and has good sound but I found the scale length a little too short for some of the stuff I play. CF guitars are more expensive but really take the travel bit well, fwiw.
Good luck on your search.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable