Author Topic: Performance bracing with relief rout  (Read 2487 times)

Coco Kid

Performance bracing with relief rout
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:08:28 AM »
Does anyone know if Performance bracing with relief rout is the same as Standard II bracing with relief rout, or if it's something different?

The reason I ask is because I can either buy an older Taylor with CV bracing or a newer Taylor in the same woods with Performance bracing. If the Performance bracing is something new Andy came up with, then I would likely go with that, but if it's the Standard II bracing, then theoretically the CV bracing is an upgrade and I would go with that. In any case, it would be interesting if Performance bracing is in fact Standard II bracing, which means they took out CV bracing and only had Standard II and Advanced Performance for 2014-2017.

I cannot try either guitar in person before buying.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Performance bracing with relief rout
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:30:07 AM »
Hi Coco-

Performance bracing is something new - it is not Standard II. I own both CV and performance bracing types, and while I think that the CV is generally an improvement over the Standard II, the Performance bracing is a wonderful fit for my 2018 custom sitka/mahogany GA. In addition, I think that it is equally good as my new V-braced 614.  I'd go with the Performance bracing.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Coco Kid

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:53:34 PM »
Do you mind if I ask how you know it's not Standard II? A quick look at the Taylor website seems to no longer show Standard II:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/features/bracing

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 07:39:58 AM »
Several years ago, Andy Powers redesigned bracing across all shapes. What began as advanced performance became more simply known as performance bracing. I have two 90s Taylors  with Taylor's original bracing. I've also owned a few Standard II braced Taylors, but they're gone now. It was my least favorite of the bracing iterations. I still like CV, but the performance bracing really shines with more presence and articulation.  I  think you'll agree once you play it.

Coco Kid

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:28:04 AM »
Several years ago, Andy Powers redesigned bracing across all shapes. What began as advanced performance became more simply known as performance bracing. I have two 90s Taylors  with Taylor's original bracing. I've also owned a few Standard II braced Taylors, but they're gone now. It was my least favorite of the bracing iterations. I still like CV, but the performance bracing really shines with more presence and articulation.  I  think you'll agree once you play it.

Hope you don't mind me questioning but when you say "what began as Advanced Performance became more simply known as Performance bracing" - if you look at the link I posted, both Performance and Advanced Performance are listed, whereas Standard II is no longer there.  Wish I could play in person...  If Performance bracing is indeed different from Standard II then I'd like to think that Performance bracing rumbles against one's body like Advanced Performance bracing did on the 600, 800, and 900 series, based on my experience with those models.  My experience with Standard II bracing was that it did not rumble against one's body when strummed, neither did CV bracing, although CV bracing had more bass.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:34:40 AM »
If you look at the descriptions on both advanced performance and performance, they're not that different. Side bracing is the most noticeable distinction, and IMO that yields a subtle change at best.  They were all redesigned by Andy, and in my experience, they don't sound anything like their Standard II counterparts. As I said, I am absolutely thrilled with my 2018 custom GA (sitka/hog). Since I'm quite familiar with the spruce/hog combination, having owned close to a dozen across different brands, I have to believe that the game changer here is the performance bracing. If I may, what is the wood combination you're considering?

Joseph

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 04:30:23 PM »
For my experience... as Strumming Fool said also.. i would go with the one that has the Performance Bracing and relief route. I own a 2009 Custom GS with CV bracing and relief route. To my ears at the time.. it was better than any Taylor I had played up to that point ..i am not a professional player... But when i played and bought 2 Grand Orchestra models (518e with mahogany b&s and a Limited 358e 12 string with Tasmanian Blackwood b&s).. both with the Performance Bracing ... i noticed a tremendous difference in the power of the bottom end bass response and volume overall. Some of that due to body size differences but i think that the bracing difference is a major improvement.
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

Coco Kid

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 12:36:38 AM »
Thanks for the time and replies guys, confirmed with Taylor customer service that they are not the same and Performance bracing is effectively “Standard III” bracing.