Author Topic: Picking hand will feel identical across entire Taylor line (2-3/16" spacing)?  (Read 3336 times)

nolegsfngrpickn

As a fingerstyle player, I really could care less about nut width. To be honest, I somewhat prefer 1-11/16". Most people talk about 1-3/4" nut width being better for fingerstyle, but I think that's a complete myth; what really matters is saddle spacing.

2-3/16" saddle string spacing is the standard across the entire Taylor line. I thought the GS Mini was 2-1/4", but I used my calipers last night and it also measured 2-3/16". So regardless of nut width or scale length, is it safe to say that if you back off from the saddle a bit to the soundhole where your picking hand is playing, it will feel almost identical no matter which Taylor acoustic you play?

If there is a difference between guitars, I feel we're getting into dimensions smaller than 1/32"
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 02:06:42 PM by nolegsfngrpickn »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
To my understanding, Taylor has only one saddle spacing size - 2-3/16" as you measured.  I vaguely recall people asking about other spacing before in Wood & Steel for BTO a long time ago, and the answer was a definite "no".  I believe it would require re-programming the CNC machines that cut bridges and drill bridge pin holes, which is a big undertaking.

You are right that the dimension differences will be tiny.  I've never felt any difference finger picking on 1-11/16" or 1-3/4" necks, or even the few 1-7/8" necks I've tried.  Admittedly, I don't appear to be all that sensitive to that dimension, like I am to nut width.  I learned to finger pick on a D-28, which has 2-1/4" bridge spacing IIRC, and I've played a few others that are even wider, like 2-5/16".  After a minute of playing, I have adapted - if there were a perceptible difference to begin with.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
Theoretically they should feel the same, though I think other factors -- the guitar's shape, the guitar's finish, string gauge -- might come into play a little bit.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

nolegsfngrpickn

Theoretically they should feel the same, though I think other factors -- the guitar's shape, the guitar's finish, string gauge -- might come into play a little bit.

I absolutely notice the difference when jumping between my 2-3/16" and whatever my Cordoba classical is. Especially faster fingerpicking stuff, those small difference quickly trip your fingers if you're not acclimated.

I agree with the guitar shape, big time. I measured the spacing on a parlor and it was pretty close to that of the GS Mini, but the smaller body really threw things off.

jpmist

• Soundcloud
Just to add to that different shape thing. I noticed when playing a recent purchase of a guitar larger than my OO harem that because the body is an inch wider not only is the angle of the guitar on my lap slightly different, but where my right arm lands on the upper bout to hang over the strings is in a different spot as well. The bridges have the same string spacing, but because of the flatter angle of the larger guitar my picking was a bit more accurate because it felt there was more room between the strings.

All very subjective, of course, and to measure these things would be no more than a 1 or 2% difference, but, say, when playing 8 measures of 1/8th notes without a single flub versus my usual 2 or 3 is kinda significant.

So, I'd say the picking hand will feel the same across identical body sizes but maybe not from GC to Dred or GS . . .
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

rushrocker

I definitely agree with jpmist.

I find the body size/shape to have an impact on the perceived width of the string spacing. Depending on where your arm comes over the upper bout and where your picking hand eventually lands is very dependent on the body of the guitar. I have noticed that I am slightly worse at finger picking on my DN3 than I am on my GA guitars. And I am even better on my Martin OM or electric guitars!

It's surprising the subtleties that humans can notice!

nolegsfngrpickn

Interesting. I definitely got tied up in nut widths before, but it was relatively recent that I came to the realization. I'm receiving a 322ce this week, so I'm curious how it's going to feel coming from the GS Mini.

Only a <1 in" difference in most dimensions, but with that slightly bigger body and 1-3/4" nut, I wonder what it will be like.