Author Topic: Hey Now from Portland Or  (Read 1523 times)

AugustWest

Hey Now from Portland Or
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »
Greetings,

Just signed up here & am happy to find a new home for Taylor fanatics.  No sooner than a few days after acquiring my new GA4 did the Taylor sub-forum at the AGF go bye-bye. 

Anyways, I'm a relatively new guitar player.  I used to play bass in a garage/party band in my early 20s.  Once that dissolved, I bought a cheapo used dreadnaught at a music shop in my late 20s but never played it as it was uncomfortable, couldn't stay in tune, & just didn't connect with me.

About 2 yrs ago my daughter wanted to get into guitar & take lessons so we bought her a 3/4 size Oscar Schmidt. I kept picking it up when I'd get home from work & got the bug to play. After doing a lot of research I bought myself an Art & Lutherie folk cedar guitar in June '10. It's a nice guitar & sounds great.  With the help of the internet & you tube, I found chord charts & lessons for lots of classic rock songs I like (Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, Neil Young, U2, Bob Dylan, Black Crowes, etc).  I recently hit the big 4-0 & got the green light from the Mrs' to get a better quality guitar with more volume/headroom for strumming.  I picked the Taylor GA4 & absolutely love it!  I have a friend to jam with a couple times a month & am having a blast with my guitar obsession.  I test drove many many guitars by different builders before choosing the GA4.  It was a major purchase for us & I'm happy to say I have zero buyer's remorse with my pick.  Taylors are amazing!

Cheers - I'll post pics later in the pic folder. 

-AW-

2011 Taylor GA4
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hey Now from Portland Or
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »
AugustWest, great to have you here!  Make yourself at home!   :)   I think the next Taylor I get will either be in a GA or GC body style...
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
Welcome August! :) Thanks for sharing your background and how you now own a Taylor. I love the sound of ovangkol paired with sitka and have a 414ce. The 3xx and 4xx series are amazing guitars.

A friend and her husband bought their daughter an Art & Lutherie folk guitar when she was still in high school. I was quite surprised with how nice it sounded as well as how nice it played. It's definitely a great guitar. Unfortunately the daughter didn't stick with it so I don't know whatever became of the guitar. :(

Does your daughter still play her Oscar Schmidt?
Cindy

AugustWest

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
Thanks Cindy... she picks it up occassionally, but she won't invest the time to toughen up her fingers... maybe I should have gotten her a nylon string guitar to start with... but they are hard to find with a skinny neck for kids.
-AW-

2011 Taylor GA4
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

Terry

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:42:22 AM »
Welcome from down the road in Salem. Stay dry!
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini