Author Topic: Some tones are not ringing  (Read 1243 times)

6120ga

Some tones are not ringing
« on: November 05, 2018, 04:10:31 AM »
I have recently a bought a 2 year old Taylor 814ce (sitka spruce top and Indian rosewood back/sides). It sounds really nice, but from 5st to 8th fret on the thick E-string it does not ring out (after 7 seconds there is no sound/stringvibration left). If I compare with the same frets on the A string it takes 11 seconds before there is no sound/vibration left. There is absolutely no fret buzz, I have tried different strings, and I just had it adjusted at my local luthier who said that it is something inside the guitar that is not perfectly made. He thinks that it can not be fixed but that the vibration will probably increase over the years. Has anyone experienced the same? Can I do anything about it?

Sorry for my bad english :-)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:58:02 AM by 6120ga »

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Some tones are not ringing
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »
Welcome!  Your English is fine!

I've never noticed a specific example of what you're describing in my collection, although one may exist.  But the observation that yours occurs at specific frequencies leads me to speculate that what you're hearing is the natural variation that can occur in every guitar that is built.  Taylor does a very good job of achieving consistency from guitar to guitar in any particular line (e.g., the 816's); but sometimes one comes out a little better-sounding -- or worse-sounding -- than the norm.  That characteristic could be a result of natural variation in materials, a periodic (and likely, inadvertent) deviation in construction technique, or just an oddity that has no obvious explanation.  In the end, though, it sounds like your 816 may be less responsive to some frequencies (i.e., low F, F#, G, G#, and A) than the average 816.

Unfortunately, if my theory is correct, this would mean that your luthier is also correct when he says that probably nothing other than time will improve the condition.  Playing the guitar, thereby causing it to resonate, will help it to "open up" -- in other words, resonate better -- which might loosen up the 'tightness' in this observed frequency range.  Good luck!
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:33:23 AM »
Adding to what Tim said, try stringing the guitar with medium strings (56-13) for a while, or at least mediums on the bass side.  The extra tension will drive the top a bit harder, and may solve your issue, at least partially.  A bigger guitar like a GS or a DN generally wants medium gauge strings anyway.

By the way, I've never "measured" the decay time of individual strings on my guitars.  It is an interesting exercise that I might try.  A friend has an 816 that is noticeably quieter than many other guitars, even when I play it.  So it happens.  He plays quite softly and never really drives the guitar as intended.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 01:42:17 PM »
interesting, never tried, but there are a ton of variables.

try changing strings?
maybe needs a setup? (neck angle, action, nut or saddle adjustment)

one way to reduce variables is open strong tests. are you using a timer?
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

MrYelnats

• Stanley backwards...
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
All makes of guitars can have some dull or quick-to-decay notes which *may* improve over time, and I have occasionally noticed this effect on some guitars, but I just play on through and don't worry about it. Here is a post from today from a user on the "unofficial Martin forum" as an example that no guitar maker is immune to this behavior.

"I had a 2013 OM-28 Marquis that I bought used online.  When I got it, I noticed it sounded really tight and that quite a few bass notes were dull and decayed quickly (i.e., did not seem to sustain).  I went through several brands and types of strings looking for some magic.  I bought a tone rite and left it on for weeks, and in between played the heck out of it.  The tone and sustain improved marginally during this time, but I decided to move it along for an OM-28 Marquis Madagascar that blew me away immediately.  I realize that Adirondack spruce tops are known to have a long break-in period, but I believe that a great guitar will sound impressive from day one and that it’s hoping against hope that a mediocre guitar will someday blossom into a tone monster if only given enough time."

-Hope your guitar gets sorted out to your satisfaction!
-2018 312ce Limited NAMM Lutz over Blackwood
-2016 614ce with Florentine Cutaway
-2012 414ce Ovangkol
-Martin 00015SM
-Martin CS 000, Red Spruce VTS top, Guatemalan back/sides.

6120ga

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 05:53:49 AM »
Thank you very much for your reply. I will try medium gauge strings to see if that helps (I normally use 011 strings).
I have thought of Tonerite but mabe it is a waste of money...

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »
11's are quite light for an 816.  I'd bet that heavier strings help, but your fingertips may object - at first.  You can start by tuning down a whole step (D-d) for lighter, more familiar tension, then gradually work your way back up to standard E-e pitch.

As for the Tonerite, if there are two people commenting you'll likely hear three different opinions.   :o   I'll leave it at that.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply. I will try medium gauge strings to see if that helps (I normally use 011 strings).
I have thought of Tonerite but mabe it is a waste of money...

As for the Tonerite, if there are two people commenting you'll likely hear three different opinions.   :o   I'll leave it at that.

Plus one on everything Earl said.  Tonerite is a hot topic, some people love them, others think they are just useless, while others proclaim hierarchy.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

DenverSteve

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »
Since you have lighter strings on the guitar than it was set up with, I would have a complete/quality set up done to include nut-slots.  I would also check your saddle to make sure it's not grooved or wonky - hence the complete set up.

DO18

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »
All great answers and the recommendation to try different gauge of strings and different strings is good advice.  From past experience I've noticed that tweaking the relief of the neck can make a difference on the low end.  Raise the relief a little and see if that helps the 6th string.