Author Topic: NGD-sort of-K65  (Read 1741 times)

0018g

NGD-sort of-K65
« on: October 27, 2018, 07:34:56 PM »
  I have always been intrigued by Koa Taylors, particularly in a 12 string.  I wasn't looking for another guitar, but I saw a deal I just could not pass up on Reverb.   OK'd by management, and the deal was made.

The guitar arrived Friday.   It was absolutely beautiful......and pretty much unplayable :(.  The seller was cool about it, and we reached an agreement that will allow me to send it back to Cali for an overhaul package.  I'll have a little more invested, but I'll have a guitar that plays as good as a new one, but has the benefit of 20 year old koa.

So no pics yet.  It's ready to head west next week.  Taylor says 6 weeks for a reset, fret dress, etc.   

This is a big reason I switched from that "other" maker.  It would be six-twelve months and the cost of the guitar all over again to get a factory reset.   Or the hassle of doing it myself-I hope I never have to drag my steamer out again!

When it comes back, I'll do my official NGD thread with the pics.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: NGD-sort of-K65
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 08:38:32 PM »
Sounds like in the end, you're gonna have a pretty special Taylor 12 string. Please post a NGD down the road. Would love to hear your review of it, and see some pics. Oh, I'm a lover of Taylor koa guitars too.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 09:47:23 PM »
Almost bought one of those in the late 90s - I always regretted that. Looking forward to living vicariously through you !
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:39:18 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

splendora

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 10:49:32 AM »
Would you be able to say anything about what made it unplayable, if possible? I'm still learning about evaluating guitars, and any information might help out.

I've been looking at a gorgeous Custom GA that ... just doesn't sound nice at all.  Of course, the corroded strings on it probably have a lot to do with it -), but the seller isn't replacing them yet.  Hard to evaluate it beyond that, although I suppose I could measure string heights, and try to get some idea of the neck relief - still learning here.

Tx for any info!

0018g

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »
The action was at 8/64", and the frets were uneven.  Someone had done a poor grind and polish and neglected to set the nut slot depth afterwards.  All of these thing combined made for an uncomfortable playing experience.

I hope Taylor can save the frets, but maybe not.

0018g

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 06:17:17 PM »
Got the call today, and a UPS tracking number.  They even did some stuff they weren't obligated to do.   Pretty cool.

It won't be long now.

splendora

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
I hope it works out great for you;  looking forward to seeing it and hearing your reactions!

0018g

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 04:34:15 PM »
I've had a little time with the Taylor, and....

Does anyone know if these are Elixir strings they use?  Just back from a factory service, and this is the only 12 string of my 3 that I can't bar a clean B chord at the 7th fret on.  It is very stiff-feels like mediums, but they're not.  The relief, the action-everything measures fine.  It seems reasonable to start with strings, although my normal 12 string set gauges out the same as these.  I've heard Elixirs can feel stiffer than other strings.

I'm not disappointed yet, but I'm certainly a little concerned.