Author Topic: Does Anyone Else's NT Neck Look Like This?  (Read 5767 times)

Jeremy

Re: Does Anyone Else's NT Neck Look Like This?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »
hi Jeremy,
congrats on the GS Mini :)
i'm glad that you were able to find one that 'spoke' to you

i've played several different examples of the Mini &, to me, there can be
audible tonal variances in them & i've heard & played a couple that had
a bit more depth & warmer, stronger midrange projection than the others

looking at the pic, to me it appears that the fretboard extension shim has a significant degree
of taper, which may  have been necessary to set the neck at the proper angle in relation to the
bridge height, while still maintaining standard saddle height for adequate string break angle -
that being said, there may  be another shim combination that will set the fretboard
extension lower into the fretboard pocket in the neck block & if this is done, the saddle
may  need to be lowered as well, in order to bring the action to within factory specs

i am interested to hear back if  you decide to talk to Taylor's repair department again
at a later to see what their recommendation is in order to lower the fretboard extension

from the outward appearance it is  an aesthetic concern, as you have mentioned that the
tone & playability of the guitar are to your liking (with good intonation & tuning stability ???)

i have complete faith in Taylor & their staff & i believe their stellar customer service will resolve this
concern with your guitar to your total & complete satisfaction in the future, should you deem it necessary

please let us know what happens & until next time ...
play on :)

Thanks for your thoughts. It definitely spoke to me. My first reaction when strumming this guitar was literally and almost involuntarily saying "holy crap!" out loud. The people at the counter just outside the acoustic room laughed when they heard me. I'm actually a bit glad that I didn't notice the neck until I'd played it some, otherwise I would have passed on a great sounding guitar.

After some period of acclimation to my home it's holding its tuning just fine and intonation checks revealed nothing abnormal.

I appreciate everyone's input into this. Thanks.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:01:08 PM by Jeremy »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 08:32:40 PM »
Then it's all good, Jeremy.  You clearly know what you want, and that's good.  Congrats on a guitar that speaks to you ...that's never something to be overlooked or undervalued!
:D

Edward

Jeremy

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
Then it's all good, Jeremy.  You clearly know what you want, and that's good.  Congrats on a guitar that speaks to you ...that's never something to be overlooked or undervalued!

Edward

Thanks, Edward.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 09:52:06 PM »

Edward

Thanks, Edward.

Agree!  As long as you like it then there's nothing to worry about!  Congrats again!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Jeremy

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »

Agree!  As long as you like it then there's nothing to worry about!  Congrats again!

Thank you.