Author Topic: Pickguards  (Read 756 times)

fast eddie

Pickguards
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »

Howdy,

How does a pickguard affect the sounboard?  Does it deaden vibration on the portion of soundboard it covers?  If so, to what degree?  Does anyone think it is significant?  Anyone out there ever install one and regret it due to sound deterioration? 

Thanks!
Eddie

“ If Emmanuel Kant,,,, can Ghenghis Kahn? “

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Pickguards
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:55:46 AM »
Everything you do to the soundboard affects the sound, whether you install a pick guard, build a cutaway, or just rest your arm against the guitar while you play.  The question is, are these differences even perceivable?  In my experience, no, they are not.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

fast eddie

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 09:05:24 AM »

Thanks DG.  I  ordered a custom Taylor two months ago. A bucket list/once in a lifetime splurge.  I paid a premium for the soundboard wood upgrade and bracing. But I like the look of a tortoiseshell pick guard. And also to protect the surface.  (Wouldn’t want it to look like Willy Nelson’s guitar). So I elected to install one. Just wondering if I am going to regret that decision?  Spent a lot of time designing on which options to concentrate the expenditure and not compromise, and what fru-fru i could not justify.  They don’t offer a program on their website where you can preview how the dozens of options will blend, you can’t get an idea if what you are ordering will yield what you want and envision.  Like Toyota.  They need to do that.  Sooooo,,,,, in the end i fired away and adjusted for effect and took the leap of faith.  Spent a lot of time on the phone with the guys in El Cajon.  They were helpful and patient over several calls. Took a final inventory, put my trust in Taylor Guitars and (ouch), got the chekbook out.  The beast will be in my hands in another month I am told.  Total fabrication time about 3 & 1/2 months they advertise.  We will see.  More to come.
Eddie

“ If Emmanuel Kant,,,, can Ghenghis Kahn? “

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 10:01:04 AM »
I was going to suggest that one way to test  would be to go to your favorite guitar shop and A/B a 900 series(no pick guard)  with the same model  in a 800 series (with pick guard)  and see if you can tell a difference.  But,  ultimately its two different guitars  in two different series, so I don't know that you would be able to attribute  any difference  specifically to the pick guard.

I  have the same concern as I am considering swapping out the tortoise pick guard on my 816ce with a  thinwood rosewood  one.

All my guitars all have pick guards...basically because I need them for their intended purpose.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:08:31 AM by Guitar Cowboy »
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »

Thanks DG.  I  ordered a custom Taylor two months ago. A bucket list/once in a lifetime splurge.  I paid a premium for the soundboard wood upgrade and bracing. But I like the look of a tortoiseshell pick guard. And also to protect the surface.  (Wouldn’t want it to look like Willy Nelson’s guitar). So I elected to install one. Just wondering if I am going to regret that decision?  Spent a lot of time designing on which options to concentrate the expenditure and not compromise, and what fru-fru i could not justify.  They don’t offer a program on their website where you can preview how the dozens of options will blend, you can’t get an idea if what you are ordering will yield what you want and envision.  Like Toyota.  They need to do that.  Sooooo,,,,, in the end i fired away and adjusted for effect and took the leap of faith.  Spent a lot of time on the phone with the guys in El Cajon.  They were helpful and patient over several calls. Took a final inventory, put my trust in Taylor Guitars and (ouch), got the chekbook out.  The beast will be in my hands in another month I am told.  Total fabrication time about 3 & 1/2 months they advertise.  We will see.  More to come.

I just recently picked up a PRISTINE 2008 Fall Ltd. Koa GS and the first thing I did was call Taylor and order a clear permanent pick guard. I hope it all works out and you like your custom!
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle