Author Topic: Greetings from S.W. Missouri  (Read 3326 times)

Transm

Greetings from S.W. Missouri
« on: January 24, 2012, 02:10:15 AM »
Hi everybody....my name is Brian Holt,I'm 29 years old, from S.W. Missouri....about 25 miles west of Branson. I love to play guitar,although I'm not that great yet,I have been playing on and off for about 5 years.  Im getting alot better than I was....I am a self learner(no lessons) and I have came along pretty good for not playing solid. My first guitar was a Takamine EG440C transparent black(I still own).....and I recently acquired  a brand new 2011 Taylor 816CE for Christmas....my girlfriend and I went to Nashville to hang out for the holidays....and we had stopped in the Guitar Center there.....and I played tons of guitars of all kinds.....Takamines,Martins,Gibsons,and several Taylors....and my favorite guitar in the store was this Taylor 816CE.....something about it shined out to me.....it sounded absolutley amazing and played incredible. Well while I was sleeping in the Motel room one morning,she went back to guitar center and bought it and came back to the motel,woke me up and said "honey,could you get up and help me carry in some bags out of the car",I said "yeah...let me wake up for just a second",I went out to the car....and there It was.....my new Taylor 816CE in the nice brown alligator case...along with a Snark headstock tuner and a soundhole humidifier.....I was so excited!!  I Absolutley love it.....it usually gets played some daily.....  :)   anyway.....sorry for the long story.....I am so glad to be part of this Taylor forum......I also became a member over at AGF not to long ago....  :)

Thank You,  Brian
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:13:37 AM by Transm »

RichM752

Re: Greetings from S.W. Missouri
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:47:23 AM »
Does your girlfriend have a sister? If so I'd like to meet her, in Nashville.
2011 Martin OM-42
1919 Martin 0-28
2010 Taylor JMSM
2010 Taylor T3B
2009 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2010 Fender Telecaster
1977 Takamine FS-400

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:22:10 AM »
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum! :) The 816ce is an incredibly nice guitar, and your girlfriend sounds amazing, too! :D

You should consider getting some type of case humidifier to go along with your soundhole humidifier. It would humidify the fretboard. Otherwise you may eventually wind up with fret ends sticking out the sides of the fretboard. I used to use the humidipaks but found not all of them work well (too dried out to start with) so I eventually switched to the soap box (drilled holes in the top) and a sponge which some members here use.

We'd love to see some pics of your guitar if and when you have the time. ;D
Cindy

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »
Hi Brian, nice to have you here!  Wow what a gift!   :o  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
hi Brian,
good to see you here :)
WELCOME !thanks for sharing about yourself, your girlfriend & your new guitar -
i really enjoy posts like yours because it has history & tells of a journey  8)

your user name is interesting also & i was wondering if
there's a story behind it that you would care to share  -
i found that transom is a cross post & trans am is a racing series, or this :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krEp5grhYlk

hope you enjoy the place - please make yourself comfortable :D

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Transm

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
Thanks for the welcome everybody!!   :) I really appreciate it.

Cindy......I would love  to show you'll pics of my guitar.....I will see if I can get some posted.

Michael.... my user name "transm"  stands for Trans Am.  Cars and drag racing is my other huge hobby.....I own a 1978 Trans Am with a stroked 400 c.I. engine(461c.I.)....it makes in the neighborhood of 475hp....this is my street car, my dad owns a 1986 Trans Am that has a 383 smal block and a D1SC Procharger,this is his street car also and makes around 650hp, and then we have a race car,which is a 1991 Trans Am. We run it at our local drag strip.....1/8 mile.....it is a Drag Radial car,which means we have to run it on a DOT drag radial tire,no slicks.  We run a 434 c.I. small block in it with a Dart block and an F-2 Procharger that pumps 24 lbs. Of boost and we run it on Methanol(alcohol) with a C&S blow-thru carburetor along with 18* Trick Flow heads. It makes in the neighborhood of 1250hp so far and has ran a best of 5.45 at 131mph in the 1/8,which equates to around an 8.45 to 8.50 at 160+ mph in the 1/4 mile with a 1.33 60ft time. It has a lot left in it too,with more boost,say 32 lbs or so along with a little more timing advance,it will probably make around 1500-1600 hp.....   :)

Brian

Transm

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »
And yes.....I do have an awesome girlfriend!!  :)

RichM752

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »
I used to drag race bikes. Once I moved on to other hobbies I had an abundance of cash on hand. It was a blast though. I quit when diesel rose above 3 bucks a gallon. Towing that rig all over the country got to be too big of an expense.
2011 Martin OM-42
1919 Martin 0-28
2010 Taylor JMSM
2010 Taylor T3B
2009 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2010 Fender Telecaster
1977 Takamine FS-400

DMBfan41

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »
Hey there and welcome here.  Great story.  Have your girlfriend give my wife a shout, maybe I'll get another guitar!

Seriously, where in SWMO are you?  I too reside in this land we call the 417.  Great place.  Weather sucks.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

Transm

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Hi Chad.....I live about 25 miles west of Branson....in a small town called Cape Fair.....its right on Table Rock Lake.....  :)  where about do you live?

Brian

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »
Thanks for the welcome everybody!!   :) I really appreciate it.

Cindy......I would love  to show you'll pics of my guitar.....I will see if I can get some posted.

Michael.... my user name "transm"  stands for Trans Am.  Cars and drag racing is my other huge hobby.....I own a 1978 Trans Am with a stroked 400 c.I. engine(461c.I.)....it makes in the neighborhood of 475hp....this is my street car, my dad owns a 1986 Trans Am that has a 383 smal block and a D1SC Procharger,this is his street car also and makes around 650hp, and then we have a race car,which is a 1991 Trans Am. We run it at our local drag strip.....1/8 mile.....it is a Drag Radial car,which means we have to run it on a DOT drag radial tire,no slicks.  We run a 434 c.I. small block in it with a Dart block and an F-2 Procharger that pumps 24 lbs. Of boost and we run it on Methanol(alcohol) with a C&S blow-thru carburetor along with 18* Trick Flow heads. It makes in the neighborhood of 1250hp so far and has ran a best of 5.45 at 131mph in the 1/8,which equates to around an 8.45 to 8.50 at 160+ mph in the 1/4 mile with a 1.33 60ft time. It has a lot left in it too,with more boost,say 32 lbs or so along with a little more timing advance,it will probably make around 1500-1600 hp.....   :)

Brian
whoa ... :o
& here i thought the 88 X-TX DPS 5.0 LX notch with 1.7 rockers, 3.73s, h-pipe, Borla pro XSs
short belt, K&N cone & 26x8.5" ET Streets i used to have was doing ok with 8.35 - 8.45s ...

in the 1/8 mi & 13.1 @ almost 102 in the 1/4 ;)

the mustang actually ran better on DOTs than ET Drags &
quicker with the Borlas than with straight pipes (turn-downs) &
it might  have had 1/2 as much power as your 78 T/A street car ...

on a good day ... with a tailwind ...  going downhill ...  or, maybe not :-[

any chance you might have, um, perhaps a pic or 2,
or maybe a youtube video of a track outing we could see (pleeeez)

there's a thread here, if you'd like to 'copy & paste' or share a bit more about 'em
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=251.0

again, thanks for sharing Brian ... very, very cool  8)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

DMBfan41

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 06:17:51 PM »
Hi Chad.....I live about 25 miles west of Branson....in a small town called Cape Fair.....its right on Table Rock Lake.....  :)  where about do you live?

Brian

Pretty cool.  I put the boat in down there. 

I reside in the giant metropolis of Aurora.  Maybe we can get together sometime and jam when life slows down.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat