Author Topic: TAYLOR XXX-MC LIMITED EDITION 30th ANNIVERSARY GRAND CONCERT #250 of 250 MADE  (Read 8862 times)

Bill Evans

See this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140680168436?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649 Is the 'separation' of the binding from the body easy to fix? Is it a major problem? Any other comments about this guitar would be welcome. Ta. I'm not seriously thinking about buying it. Just curious.

Thanks.

Bill
3 G&L electrics and 2 Taylor acoustics

coldshot

• Express Yourself
G day Bill,
The seperation of the binding is not a huge problem to fix, although if the guitar dried out it may have other issues.

Can you go and play it? I see they offer inspections.

Price looks pretty good.

When i saw the R Taylor I bought on E Bay it had a pic which looked like a crack near the cutaway and didn't get much attention from bidders.

It was only a scratch and an easy fix and I got it for a steal.

2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

jalbert

• I should be practicing
That's good advice about the separation being a potential warning of other issues. I hope you are in a position to play the guitar in person to try it out. I do have to say that (R.) Taylor grand concert cedar/mahogany guitars are just about my favorites among all Taylor models. A friend has an XXX-MC and it's a life keeper for him.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
i've seen binding separation with ivoroid & faux tortoise bound guitars that were about the same age
(8 years old or so) that had been subjected to extreme changes in temperature & humidity in the past &
also on wood bound guitars as well (finish cracks between the binding & purfling, in a pronounced curve) -
fixing it properly, without any gaps in between the binding & ab purfling should be possible (& invisible) &
the area in the second pic of the binding on the back of the guitar may  possibly need finish touch-up also

coldshot & jalbert have offered some great suggestions, imho -
i hope you are able to inspect/play the guitar before-hand & that it has the tone & playability you're looking for

good luck & please let us know how it goes :)

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
An acquaintance of mine bought a 2nd-hand, 10-year-old W14ce that had slight separation of the ivoroid binding at the waist.  We took it to a Taylor repair guy for a repair quote.  The repair guy noted that he could not just push the binding back in place, and that meant that the binding had shrunk.   He said that can happen with ivoroid after a number of years (which makes me wonder why Taylor still uses it on some of their guitars). The repair process was to the push the binding back as far as possible, clamp it in place, and fill the gap with numerous applications of superglue.

My point is, that if you can push the binding back in place, then the fix is a simple super slue fix and a bit of buffing.  If the binding cannot be pushed completely back, it has shrunk.  It's still a super glue fix, but will take multiple applications over several days to fill the gap, and then some light sanding and buffing.

If the guitar dried out enough at some point to shrink the binding, then be sure to look for other issues as well.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

Bill Evans

Thanks all. Some good suggestions and lots of caution advised. It is 7 years old after all, and if it hasn't been cared for properly, there may be other issues. I shall be cautious. It is only a 'possibility' that I may pursue this one. Having just purchased a 412CE Fall 2011 Ltd, there's not a lot more money left in the bank now! I don't want to be buying something which is likely to cost £££s to fix.

Can anyone here provide more details about this particular model please? Anything on the Taylor website? I've had a good look, but may have missed any archived material.

Thanks.

Bill

Edit: Found a copy of the Spring 2004 'Wood & Steel'. Will have a good read of that!
Edit: Here's the guitar with the full asking price. I wonder how much the auction will attract? http://shop.musical-money.co.uk/guitars/611-taylor-xxx-mc-limited-edition-30th-anniversary-number-250-of-250-grand-concert-acoustic-guitar.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 01:34:40 PM by BillEvans1956 »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
the archived area that has the 30th anniversary GC models (XXX-MC, XXX-MS, XXX-RS, XXX-KE & XXX-BE)
doesn't seem to be linked to anything, the first page comes up, then the rest has 'an unexpected error' -
looking at the 'shop' description, i don't believe that i would place too much  weight on them coming up
with accurate information, as the 05 354ce they just sold had  african mahogany (khaya) back & sides &
pre Standard II (scalloped-x) bracing, rather than sapele & Standard II bracing (shown in the description)

please let us know if you need additional info, after looking over W & S, Bill :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Bill Evans

Thanks everyone.

Having now found out the 'true' value of this guitar, I think it is beyond my means; especially as I have recently spent as much buying my new 412CE Fall 2011 Ltd. So, regrettably, I shall not pursue this one - even if the condition was 'mint' and a guaranteed 'good buy'. I asked the seller about the 'history' of the guitar. Their reply: "As to the history of the guitar, I'm sorry but I can't help at all with that. We bought it from a shop which closed down near us and we know absolutely nothing of its history."

Hmm. Pity. I shall watch it to see how much it fetches.

Bill

jalbert

• I should be practicing
I think you made the right decision. May I suggest not watching to see how much it sells for? If it did sell for a really low price you might have regrets.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Bill Evans

I think you made the right decision. May I suggest not watching to see how much it sells for? If it did sell for a really low price you might have regrets.
Thanks for that. I agree. I may feel 'sick' knowing it sold for a really low price. I shall enjoy my new acquisition just the same. This Fall 2011 400 series (Spruce/Rosewood) is a fine combination.

Bill

Bill Evans

Well, it sold for a lot more than I was prepared to pay.  Bill

edited for price
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:58:19 PM by michaelw »