Author Topic: Your string of choice?  (Read 19056 times)

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Re: Your string of choice?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »
Not sure what strings are my fav's, I just don't have enough experience with the different varieties yet.
I'm trying to figure it out though, so I've been trying different ones each time I change them on my GSLJ. 
I know I don't really care for the Polywebs, I thought they just felt too coated.  Kinda waxy, almost.  Those were also 80/20's and they lacked the punch and sparkle of the PB's. 
Then I tried Nanoweb PB's, liked those much better in feel and sound. 
Right now I've got on John Pearse uncoated PB's, I really like the sound and definitely feels a lot different than a coated string. 
Next up will be D'addario EXP's.  I think that is what I started with on this guitar. 
Haven't tried any DR's or Martin's, but I'm sure I will eventually.
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 09:08:05 AM »
I have been using D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings for years on all of my guitars. I love the way they sound. The only thing I don't like about the strings I am using is the squeak on the lower strings from moving my fingers on the strings. I'm going to try some Elixers on one of my next string changes. I will also give D'Addario EXP and Flat Top Bronze Wound strings a go.

Any preference between 80/20 and Phosphor Bronze strings?

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 01:17:26 AM »
Not sure what strings are my fav's, I just don't have enough experience with the different varieties yet.
I'm trying to figure it out though, so I've been trying different ones each time I change them on my GSLJ. 
I know I don't really care for the Polywebs, I thought they just felt too coated.  Kinda waxy, almost.  Those were also 80/20's and they lacked the punch and sparkle of the PB's. 
Then I tried Nanoweb PB's, liked those much better in feel and sound. 
Right now I've got on John Pearse uncoated PB's, I really like the sound and definitely feels a lot different than a coated string. 
Next up will be D'addario EXP's.  I think that is what I started with on this guitar. 
Haven't tried any DR's or Martin's, but I'm sure I will eventually.
-K
i think that if you prefer the tone of the JP PBs over the elixir PBs & the feel of a string that is closer
to an uncoated one, then i believe you will be pleasantly surprised (or hopefully you will) with the EXPs :)

i feel that strings & picks (if one uses them), can be can relatively easy to overlook when
one is trying to 'tweak' that last bit of tone out of ther guitar to make it more to their liking -
trying as many different strings as you can (which it sounds like you're doing) & personal preference
is all that matters in the end, imho ... what sounds & feels the best & lasts the longest to you :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 03:08:38 PM »
Has anyone here tried the Newtone PB strings?  If so what has been you experience.  I have been wanting to order a set to try.
Thanks!
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

dangrunloh

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »
I always liked the sound of PB's.  My new 414ce came with one year old Elixer 80/20's that were pretty mellow. I next put on Elixer PB's for a while and they were louder and sounded fairly brassy to me even after a month.  I felt I need to at least try the 80/20's again because that was what first sold me on the guitar, but I was concerned they would be too bright. So to get in the mood for them I first put on GHS silk and steels as I hoped they would sound like worn Elixer 80/20's.

I like the silk and steels very much and they reminded me of the sound (in the middle strings in particular) that attracted me to that Ovangkol guitar.  The low strings were a bit weak for my tastes however and soon I put on a fresh set of Elixer 80/20's.  Within 3 days that original sound of the 414 returned.

I still like the sound of PB's but my voice goes much better with the 80/20's played with a pick and more importantly I am reminded of something Tommy Emmanuel said.  "You should put on the type of strings the guitar likes."  My particular 414ce prefers the 80/20's and responds to them better with a beautiful tone (when played with a pick).

I recorded the guitar with the different strings.  The PB's produce some extra harmonics on top of the primary that kind of bounce around and don't quite blend into the overall tone (to my ears).  I guess I'm stuck on 80/20's and I like the coated Elixers for reduced finger squeak.

I use slightly heavier solids on E and B (13 and 17) because I tend to rattle them by picking too hard.  MY 414 is very good at amplifying any of those string rattles.

Slightly off topic I read an old post on AGF under "B String" where the person claimed he played all the Taylors at a GC store and they all rattled on the B-string.  He concluded and announced that all Taylors buzz on the b-strings. Perhaps his instructor would have something to say about that. ;)

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 11:47:31 PM »
My string of choice is D'Addario EJ or EXP,however, I bought some WalMart Creamies lights at a salvage auction the other day and they are dang good sounding strings. Don't know how they'll last, but they're great for rough set-ups.The tension seems to be lower than the D'Addario which my old left hand appreciates.I only bought 43 sets.

YEA, Yea I hear ya'll laughing.
Goodnight,Starting a re-fret tomorrow. Gotta have my rest
Steve
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:24:03 PM by UTGF-Team »
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 12:05:30 AM »
Just an update, been playing the JP medium PB's for a bit now, and they still sound really great! 
Bell-like tones, endless sustain (even from my maple b/s dread) and equally bold bass tones and bright trebles.

Still gonna try the D'add's that I bought (of course) but the JP's are definitely on my 'like' list.
-Kris
Member #34
I'm not darth.

SoloTaylor

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
I really like  Elixirs  PB's.

Cheers,

Solo :)

Cheers,

Solo

dbf909

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 09:38:17 PM »
I've tried a few different strings but seem to keep coming back to Elixir Nano PBs on all of my Taylors.  I have Cleartone PBs on my HD-28 at the moment and they seem to sound decent.  I've got a set of Dragonskins that I plan to try on the Martin next but have no plans to deviate from the Elixirs on the rest.

By the way, I put Savarez 520P strings on my NS32ce.  It comes with plastic wound G and B strings and a plain nylon high E.  The wound trebles give the set a bit more "Zing" to my ears - very lively and fun to play.  The down side is the finger squeak is a bit more pronounced so you have to be a bit more deliberate.
2010 Taylor GC8
2011 Taylor GS-Mini
2007 Taylor 214e (my son's first acoustic)
2003 Taylor NS32ce
2003 Taylor Baby Ltd. Maple
2003 Taylor 414ce Ltd. Rosewood w/ES
2003 Taylor 455ce Ltd. Rosewood w ES
1979 Martin HD-28
Various Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, and Gretsch electrics from 1960's to 2011

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »
I just installed a set of Newtone Master Class phosphor bronze on my BTO and wow it came alive.  They really have a great tone so far, not as bright as the Elixir's but that is what I was looking for.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

mescobar

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 10:47:46 AM »
I, like several others here, have gone back and forth from Elixir to (insert brand here) and keep coming back to the Nanos.
I guess they are the sound I hear in my head when I imagine my guitar tone. The DR Dragon Skins are probably on my try next list though.
Taylors:
Custom GACE 12 fret (All Hog)
Custom GA (Sinker/Hog)
Custom DN (Adi/Rose)
LTD GACE 12 fret (Koa)
T5C2 (M.Ebony)
616ce (Maple)
PS16CE (Coco)

Others:
Martin Bellezza Bianca
Breedlove Phoenix
Martin Custom 000-18GE
Martin OMCE Mahogany
PRS Starla
PRS Artist V
PRS ME Quatro

silvereagle48

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »
Elixirs on all the gits below.  Most consistent strings available imo
hoffman j, taylor bto ga, taylor bto jumbo 12 string, huss and dalton custom 00-sp, huss and dalton custom ds 12 fret, cole-clark fl3ac, martin hd-28-2r, larrivee om-05

Jannie

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2012, 11:39:52 PM »
I felt like the Nano Light 80/20 were stiffer than the PB's, just the opposite of what everyone else has said about them.

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »
I just strung the 412 w/Martin FX lights PB last night.Let them sit 30 min after stringing&tuning,then cut the  tags off ,played about 10 min,re-tuned and put it in the case.18 hrs later(after work) checked the tuning-still dead on.They sound good,and seem to be a little bassier than the orig Elixers.Tension is a little less also,or so it seems. The Creamies are still the best feeling(LOL) .
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

Roseadi

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2012, 06:33:45 AM »
I've been using Newtone MC's 80/20 on my 714 for the past two years. Really like the round core sound and feel! I also like the Pyramids. Another round core, and interesting, it's the first PB that I like on my 714. I really need to try some John Pearse as a lot of people seem to really love those strings!
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen