Author Topic: What song are you working on now?  (Read 9467 times)

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
Re: What song are you working on now?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »
I just completed working on a solo finger style version of Lorenna McKennitt's "Dante's Prayer" in DADGAD tuning.  Been working on it for about two months.  I have the whole thing arranged the way I like it, and I can play it through pretty well.   Not smooth enough for a performance, but well enough for now.  Knowing my past history, it will be at least six months before I can play it really smooth and well.

I just started working on Eltjo Hasselhof's "The Mayo Jar".  I downloaded the first page of the TAB from his web site while I'm waiting for the full purchased version to arrive.  Been working on it on and off for about two weeks, and I can slowly bump my way through the first page of the TAB.  This is the first time I ever tried anything in Orkney tuning, and I like it.   I've fumbled a couple of self-composed musical segments and melodies playing around in this tuning.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

AugustWest

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »
I've got three I've been working on over the past week or so:

Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution - Black Crowes
Born to Run - Emmylou Harris
Try Not To Breathe - REM
-AW-

2011 Taylor GA4
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

Go Navy

• Northern California
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:43 AM »
Here's something maybe a little different.  I fell in love with a latin-type ballad called "Solamente Una Vez" (also known as "You Belong to My Heart") by Augustin Lara.  I have it on a recording by the great Cuban jazz pianist Gonzalo Rubalcaba, and the famous American jazz bassist Charlie Haden, plus other musicians.   The name of the album, case you're interested, is "Land of the Sun", listed under Charlie Haden, and it's available at iTunes.  It's the best stuff, if you're into jazz at all.

So, I have the lead sheet for this song;  it's in E flat major and the changes aren't too complicated.  I'm trying to work out a chord melody approach to it.  I have the lead/melody nailed down and now the hard part starts.
Guild Manhattan X-175 (1976)
Ibanez GB10 George Benson 1980
2012 Taylor 812ce Cedar