Author Topic: Favourite settings for expression system ES2  (Read 3321 times)

tremolo arm

Favourite settings for expression system ES2
« on: April 03, 2018, 09:13:42 AM »
Hello
New to this forum, just joined today.

I recently bought a 214CE - the 2017 model with KOA laminate sides and back.
It comes with the ES2.

Whilst I love the tone of the guitar unplugged, I am yet to find a convincing setting amplified, which resembles that sound. I am plugging into the vintage channel of a Fender 68 Custom Vibrolux 68.

I have read many opinions about the ES2 sounding hollow and muffled and I can relate to that description. If I have to offer my own take on the subject, the sound I am getting is more akin to that of an electric guitar, not an acoustic. I am aware my amp is not a dedicated acoustic amp, but I was hoping it would do the Taylor justice.

Any trial trial and error experience that ES2 users can offer me in terms of how they set their ES2 pickups and EQ controls?
Thanks

Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Taylor GS-Ltd. 2011 Fall Cocobolo
Baby Taylor
Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
Fender Team Built Custom Shop Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Duesenberg Alliance Joe Walsh
Gretsch Electromatic 5622T
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

Mark Stone

• Littledog Music
    • Littledog Music
Re: Favourite settings for expression system ES2
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »
Hi tremolo arm, and welcome to the community!

I think using a dedicated acoustic amp helps quite a bit. My ES2 runs through a Fender Acoustasonic 40 at home and the tone is nearly identical to the nekked guitar. At church (where I play lead acoustic in our worship band) I set all three knobs to neutral and allow our brilliant sound tech to adjust everything at the board, and I'm very happy with the sound over the PA. Looking at your post I'm thinking the missing piece for you is the dedicated acoustic amp?

I know fer sure the ES2 on my 110e outperforms the LRBaggs element that was on my last Gibson.

Another thought is that the pickup may need to be adjusted on your instrument - check out this page, close to the bottom of the page for ideas: https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/electronics/taylor-expression-system-2 --

Hope this helps, and again welcome to the community!!  8)
2015 Taylor 110e (ES2)
1977 Kazuo Yairi Conquistador (Classical)
https://litledog.blogspot.com/p/introduction_26.html

tremolo arm

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »
Thanks. I was afraid my post might result in a temptation to acquire a new amp...  :)
Does an acoustic amp really sound that dramatically different to what is a lush, high end, high wattage, tube and reverb-equipped clean amp?
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

troystory92

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »
Same thing happens to my 214ce-k dlx when I plug into my 60w Orange Crush electric guitar amp. It works but sounds like a clean, hollow, electric guitar.

I usually use a 450w Samson PA system and go right in. Sounds great. All I do is dial the bass back a bit, go middle with the treble, and 3/4 with the volume.

Sometimes it does come down to preference but I would base what you're hearing on the amp. Try it through something else.

Sprintbob

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »
Acoustic amps and electric amps are apples and oranges. You need the right tool for the job. I love my Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)

ericjungemann

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 03:21:59 PM »
I tend to think of electric amps being almost an instrument unto themselves.  They color the tone based on the design goals for that amp.  That's why all the discussions about tube vs. solid state, tube types, gain circuits, speaker types, cabinet construction etc. etc.  To the point of fanaticism.  Discussions talk about vintage tone, modern tone, overdriven tone . . . which are different than a pure reproduction of the output of the guitar.  Obviously the pickups impact this as well but it is a whole category unto itself.

Acoustic amps are more like PAs (as pointed out above).  Their major (but not exclusive goal) is to reproduce the sound that they receive subject to the space they amplify.  They certainly produce a broader range of frequencies.  You hear lots of discussion about favored brands of acoustic amps but they are all pointed at the best reproduction of the acoustic sound. 

It doesn't mean that an electric amp, with proper EQ, can't get closer to that goal, but they weren't designed for it, and side-by-side produce very different sounds than an acoustic amp with the same input.

Some amps are dual electric and acoustic.  A main characteristic I've noticed is that they have tweeters or horns to get more high frequency sounds.  I'm not sure if they are cut out on the electric side.  Some folks here may know more.

With more and more modeling amps out there, I wonder if they are really closer to acoustic amps but with lots of front end effects and modeling going to a pretty generic speaker cabinet.  Not sure.  Katana being an example . . . many many more.

Eric
K65ce

Eric
Eric Jungemann
GS Mini E Koa Plus
150e

tremolo arm

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »
Acoustic amps and electric amps are apples and oranges. You need the right tool for the job. I love my Fishman Loudbox Mini.

Sprintbob, I notice you have quite an arsenal of Taylors - presumably with different pickups. How do they all compare when plugged in the Fishman?

Granted, they are all mounted on different guitars, if you were to rate them, which pick up system would come on top and where would the ES2 sit?
Thanks
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

tremolo arm

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »
I've been doing some tests with the screws behind the saddle - the ones which control the tension on the sensors.
I seem to prefer the sound with the screws somewhat loosened, i.e. with less tension on the sensors. In doing so I seem to get a more natural (unaffected) sound, but I'm not sure if thats' because I might be hearing more of the acoustic sound of the guitar as a result of the reduced volume.
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass

tremolo arm

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 02:50:40 PM »
I tend to think of electric amps being almost an instrument unto themselves.  They color the tone based on the design goals for that amp.  That's why all the discussions about tube vs. solid state, tube types, gain circuits, speaker types, cabinet construction etc. etc.  To the point of fanaticism.  Discussions talk about vintage tone, modern tone, overdriven tone . . . which are different than a pure reproduction of the output of the guitar.  Obviously the pickups impact this as well but it is a whole category unto itself.

Acoustic amps are more like PAs (as pointed out above).  Their major (but not exclusive goal) is to reproduce the sound that they receive subject to the space they amplify.  They certainly produce a broader range of frequencies.  You hear lots of discussion about favored brands of acoustic amps but they are all pointed at the best reproduction of the acoustic sound. 

It doesn't mean that an electric amp, with proper EQ, can't get closer to that goal, but they weren't designed for it, and side-by-side produce very different sounds than an acoustic amp with the same input.

Some amps are dual electric and acoustic.  A main characteristic I've noticed is that they have tweeters or horns to get more high frequency sounds.  I'm not sure if they are cut out on the electric side.  Some folks here may know more.

With more and more modeling amps out there, I wonder if they are really closer to acoustic amps but with lots of front end effects and modeling going to a pretty generic speaker cabinet.  Not sure.  Katana being an example . . . many many more.

Eric
K65ce

Eric

Thanks Eric
Of course this all makes sense. Financially speaking it's not a great outlay - for example a Fishman Loudbox mini (the one favoured by Sprintbob) costs just £250 here in the UK. I need to find a way to try an acoustic amp with my guitar. If I am convinced that the difference with my Fender Vibrolux is dramatic (in a positive way), then I will probably invest in one.
Taylor 812CE DLX 12 fret
Baby Taylor
Fender Baja Telecaster
Epiphone Riviera P90
Epiphone Firebird Bass