Author Topic: Small room humidifier  (Read 1730 times)

Airborne

Small room humidifier
« on: March 23, 2018, 02:31:13 PM »
Living in central Michigan can get pretty dry in the winter. I have a small room that I play and keep my guitars in (GS Mini & 214cd dlx). I like to have the guitars uncased because I find I play them both more often this way. My question to those more experienced than I, would a small room humidifier be an adequate alternative to an in-case type humidifier? Thank you for any opinions!

Bill

StrummingMadMan

Re: Small room humidifier
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »
I also live in Michigan, so I feel your pain. I keep some of my guitars in a regular size bedroom with a small humidifier I got at Walmart. As long as I keep the door shut, I can keep the room perfectly humidified. It may take a couple days to get it there though. Just make sure you have the humidity gauge also. Bob Taylor recommends getting 2 gauges to make sure they’re correct and I agree with that. In short, yes, it can work.
414-L2 (2003)
614ce (2015)
810e DLX (2015)
K24ce (2015)
516e-FLTD (2013)
Gibson J-15 (2016)
Larrivee L-05 (2018)
Larrivee OM-40R (2018)
Martin D-18 (1959) -my grandpa, then dad's guitar
Rockbridge SJ - German Spruce/Cocobolo (2011)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 05:01:51 PM »
We have one of the three humidifiers in our home, in our music room. Have been going this route for 30 years. Not a problem. I'm in Northern Michigan.

Bob Taylor recommends getting 2 gauges to make sure they’re correct and I agree with that.
I agree with this too. We have several throughout the house.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

TheWeaz

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 01:03:50 PM »
Living in central Michigan can get pretty dry in the winter. I have a small room that I play and keep my guitars in (GS Mini & 214cd dlx). I like to have the guitars uncased because I find I play them both more often this way. My question to those more experienced than I, would a small room humidifier be an adequate alternative to an in-case type humidifier? Thank you for any opinions!

Bill

I have 3 of these, one in my guitar room. They're expensive, but I have gone through many other cheaper brands and I think they're well worth the money. I've had mine for a number of years with no problems at all. Easy to clean as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/BONECO-AOS-S450-Steam-Humidifier/dp/B00HGDRUZ2?crid=1RQ3GXV80XHEX&keywords=airoswiss+humidifier&qid=1537203556&sprefix=airoswi%2Cmi%2C164&sr=8-4&ref=sr_1_4

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:34:46 AM »
 During the dry winter months, I've been using a Vornado Evap3 whole room (up to 700 sq. ft.) evaporative humidifier for about 5 years. It's easy to operate, clean, and maintain. I use a cap full of bacteriostatic algae and odor treatment every time I refill the water tank. I replace the filters when they get hard and don't absorb the water properly. 2 sets for the season.

There's a newer model out called the Vornado EV200 Evaporative Whole Room Humidifier. Amazon has them along with the replacement filters and BestAir Original BT treatment.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 12:34:37 PM »
Hi Bill,

Yessir, a room humidifier is perfect for what you want.  FWIW, my guitars have been on the wall for maybe two decades now and between a wall-mounted hygrometer and the humidifier, they've all been perfectly happy.  And just as you, I found that keeping them at arm's reach is the best way to ensure they get lots of play ...soooo much better and worth the minor hassle of checking RH and filling the humidifier on occasion.  A couple of points you'll need to remember:

- keep that door closed as much as you can to maintain consistent conditions and avoid big swings in RH.
- I keep the humidifier maybe 15' away from the closest guitar ...hopefully to ensure that the moist air flowing from it gets diffused into the room and not blow directly or too closely onto any guitar.
- I keep the hygrometer on the same wall as the guitars are mounted.

Hope that helps you. :)

Edward