Author Topic: Clear Pickguard, or not ...thoughts?  (Read 12570 times)

Iplay2

Re: Clear Pickguard, or not ...thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
Does anyone have expericane with removing a clear pickgaurd after it has been on for awhile?  Did the wood age evenly or was there still a bit of a tan line?

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
i haven't done that on a Taylor, but i've done it on other models that had a similar type of material used for the clear pickguard -
i don't believe that there is any UV 'resistance' in the clear guard, but if it had been on there long enough to where it has darkened
then i would think it would inhibit the light transmission to some degree. i haven't seen any clear Taylor guards like that, though

usually, if a Taylor has been exposed to that much UV, the nut & saddle (Tusq) will have noticeably darkened to a 'coffee with cream' color
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
Edward,  Last year I was fortunate to be able to pick up a really good playing, sounding, and beautiful guitar in Tabacco Burst, see my signature below.  When I ordered it, I asked for the removable pickguard and am glad I did so.  When playing the instrument myself, I do not worry much about "me" scratching the finish.  However, I knew someone somewhere would want to be playing it.  I also knew that some of these people are a little more aggressive than I am in my playing, so I wanted to be prepared.  I am thankful I got one.

The removable pickguard goes on  and comes off very easy.  Like stated in another post here, I do not worry about smoothing out all the bubbles as they are most likely never noticed by people in the room.  After all, we are moving around by swaying our body and feeling the music when playing.  Light reflects off the guitars and in our movements those few bubbles are never noticed.  The finish on my 814 has never been affected by the removable pickguard.  My vote is for the removable pickguard.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
Hey, thanks for all the thoughts, folks!  I don't really care for the removeable ...I don't like to fuss over things, so in my head it's got to either have a pg or not.

I think I'm going to end up with "not."  While I am predominantly a strummer, my strumming style is not terribly hard on the guitar, and now that you all make me think of it, every guit I've had, even an old ca.70s Ovation, including current Taylors, had surface scratches in the finish, never breaking the surface.  And you're right about the Taylor fin: it's seriously tough stuff as all I've got are merely light surface swirls. 

On "regular" topped Taylors, I like the look of the tortoise pg.  But on the more "special" tops, I prefer the aesthetic "purity" of no pg.  So even though the clear permanent one is hardly visible, I think I've decided to go pure, go naked!  OK, maybe not that far, but you get the idea.  Thanks for all the feedback, all!!
 ;D
Edward

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
i like 'em 'nekkid', even on the regular tops, but it's just personal preference
GS Mini

now, you see it ....                                                                                 and, now you don't ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

mcookoc

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »
i have a gc-5 and i put clear removable ones on even though i am not a heavy strummer i do leave finger marks on the guard which wear on the guard and i replace from time to time. i bought two at a time for very little money from a dealer on ebay they look like martin tear drop type but fit fine. also i leave it on all the time and have had no coloring problems.

Redwood Tree

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 09:47:03 PM »
Yep Congrats on this Blingy Taylor, We need pictures!. If you are a carerful player, Don't worry about a Pick guard. But If you Are wild and strike the top much, Do the clear guard. I've had Taylor put some on and I love them, You almost cant see them.

I prefer no pick guards on my Taylors , But clear Is OK, It can always be removed without any ghost lines in the future.
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

Iplay2

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 01:12:10 AM »
I think I am going to give the clear removable ones a go.  That way I can change my mind back and forth every other day.

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 06:47:43 AM »
I let one of my friends play my K24ce, and I am now in the market for a removable pickguard.  I'm pretty easy going when some one wants to play one of my guitars, but the removable guard would give me a little peace of mind.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin