Author Topic: V braced guitars at Taylor Visitor Center  (Read 1884 times)

splendora

V braced guitars at Taylor Visitor Center
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »
Living near the Taylor Visitor Center in El Cajon certainly has its advantages, like walking in and finding...

https://imgur.com/p9s6kBA
https://imgur.com/0tFlSS5
https://imgur.com/IiFn7MK

a wall-full of V braced guitars!  2 K14ces, 2 914ces, and 2 K24ces. (There's a 914ce hanging in the PS14ce slot.)

(I couldn't get images to display here, even while following the FAQs step-by-step; sorry. Any advice?)

This is the first chance I've had to play any of them (I've been looking at reviews and videos on-line of course).  I was particularly interested in the K14ce Builder's Edition, and I was just blown away by it. I didn't expect to be - the videos I've seen made me think, "Well, OK, but nothing special".  On the contrary, the two I played today were really something. Lots of overtones (which I like), a hefty and well-defined lower end (which I didn't expect with Koa, or from the videos I've seen), and all-in-all just a beautiful sound for me. Another played tried one out while I listened and confirmed the lower-end sound really came through nicely-defined for a listener as well.

I'd buy one in a minute if I didn't already have a fine Taylor, and too many other instruments to play. -) 

Curiously, the top of one K14ce (rightmost in 2nd photo) is noticeably darker than the other at the left.  Torrifed tops I think, so perhaps that's part of it.

I did not particularly take advantage of, or test, the higher regions where V bracing is said to shine. But the tone of the K14ces I played in my normal way (ranging up to 12 pos or so) just really pleased the heck out of me, with a better sound than my present guitar. 

So give one a try yourself and see what you think. -)

(I spent a shorter amount of time with the K24ce and 914ce, so I probably can't say anything useful about them.)

Sprintbob

Re: V braced guitars at Taylor Visitor Center
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
What Taylor should do is to make sure there are X-braced K-24’s and 914’s for folks to A/B with the X-braced guitars in their visitor’s center.
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)

Der Geist

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:07:12 PM »
I don’t think that the average person who buys a Taylor is going to know (or even care) about the bracing.  The average person just cares how it sounds.  And what brand their favorite artist plays  8)

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:59:19 PM »
I don’t think that the average person who buys a Taylor is going to know (or even care) about the bracing.  The average person just cares how it sounds.  And what brand their favorite artist plays  8)

Well that is certainly not what Andy wants to hear.  ;)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:29:16 PM »

Well, I use to believe that about my favorite artist thing but not anymore.     
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 12:14:37 AM »

I think a lot of guitar shoppers would be very interested to know that Taylor guitars feature the latest bracing technology, and the benefits of that technology are fairly easy to explain and demonstrate.  I've already witnessed this scene playing out a number of times already, since my dealer was among the first to get V-braced guitars.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke