Author Topic: Question about the T5z  (Read 1044 times)

Beacher

Question about the T5z
« on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:10 AM »

I currently have a used T5z Koa for evaluation. I notice a slight buzz on switch positions 3 & 5. Would anyone who owns one of these let me know if this is normal? If position 3 is a humbucker by itself, it should be dead quiet? I am dead quiet on positions 1-2-4 but not 3 & 5 with 3 being a bit louder. It is not a huge buzz but enough to bug me so I am thinking possibly, that there might be a grounding issue with this particular guitar?

PS: I quite like this puppy.
Taylor T5z
Taylor GS Mini with Fishman Neo-D02 humbucker
Telecaster FMT (modified with locking tuners)
Telecaster MPP (modified with SD Pups)
Ibanez S5470 KOA (Floyd Rose)
Hughes & Kettner ERA1 Acoustic amp

KM Frye

Re: Question about the T5z
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 04:18:49 AM »
I have the mahogany top version, but the guts are the same.  After I read your post, I plugged in and ran a finger exercise on each of the five positions-  also let it sit untouched with the volume up and ran the toggle through all five clicks...  nothing.  The guitar was pretty silent.

I suspect your cord, actually.  In my experience some pickup types tend to get noisier with even very small breaks in the shielding. My old Ibanez was horrible for it.  Maybe pick up a new, good quality cord and try again before sending your T5z back.

FWIW
Kevin Frye
Composer, conductor, player

Taylor T5Z
Rickenbacker 370/12
Gretsch 6122 CG
Fender FJ
Beaver Creek classical parlor guitar

Beacher

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »
KM Frye .... thanks so much for the reply. As I thought. I have tried different amps, chords and the battery is 100%. The problem follows. I really think there is a little grounding issue with this particular guitar at this point? It isn't noticeable embedded in band play but it bugs me when I am solo at home. For the cost of this guitar it shouldn't buzz at all. I have a gig tonight so I will really get a chance to put it through it's paces but it sounded great at rehearsal last night.

In the end, if I need to buy one, I will get a mahogany version. For the same guts the Koa is seriously more expensive even used. About 65% more retail for the Koa where I live. Can't afford to go there.
Taylor T5z
Taylor GS Mini with Fishman Neo-D02 humbucker
Telecaster FMT (modified with locking tuners)
Telecaster MPP (modified with SD Pups)
Ibanez S5470 KOA (Floyd Rose)
Hughes & Kettner ERA1 Acoustic amp

Der Geist

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 08:55:49 PM »
It may very well be a grounding issue.  I had a buzzing on my 714 that no one could figure out.  Called Taylor, took it to a factory authorized tech.  Nothing.  Plugged the amp into a different outlet and it’s gone now.