Author Topic: The dreads are gone  (Read 2129 times)

ClassicRock

Re: The dreads are gone
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
.....While I personally am apprehensive about the change, pretty much understand why and the need to do it across the board.

I'm right there with you, Eric.  I sincerely hope they know what they are doing, and that it all works out.  Taylor is certainly "all in" on the change.  As I said in another post, my limited trials of V-bracing were inconclusive - at least for my ear and my finger style playing.  But I have not lived with one for weeks to "re-calibrate" my mental image of acoustic guitar tone.  That seems to be necessary to get it.
Earl, since you are a finger style player and I see no mahogany in your collection, I recommend you spend some time with the Cedar top 514ce V-Class. Sublime.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 08:15:11 PM »
I'll make it a point to test drive a 514 if my LGS ever gets one in, or if they host another Road Show someday.  A rosewood / cedar 714 was my dream guitar for years, but by the time I could afford it, they had stopped making them with cedar tops.  BTW, my signature does not list everything that I own - actually there is a cedar / mahogany guitar in my stable, but it's not a Taylor.  I like it for finger style and for moderate strumming too.

Candidly, these days if I ever add another guitar I am far more likely to buy carbon fiber than any new wood guitar.  [I know - kick me off this forum if you must].  I kinda have my eye on the Blackbird El Capitan which is eKoa linen composite, but has a very pleasing Taylor-esque GA tone.  Having lived in Alaska for many years, I've paid my dues maintaining temperature and humidity for wood instruments, fighting indoor RH of 15-20% for months at  time.  Our home in Idaho is far more forgiving, but I'm just tired of the maintenance.  CF is a better bet as we move into retirement and may be gone for weeks at a time.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Sprintbob

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 08:25:50 AM »
I have a Rainsong Parlor P-12, worry free for travel and awesome tone.
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)