Author Topic: What other stringed instruments are you interested in?  (Read 4340 times)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
What other stringed instruments are you interested in?
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
After reading about Taylor's ukulele and the interest it is generating, I looked online to read up about them. I came across an instrument called a Guitalele which supposedly is a cross between a guitar and a ukulele. Of course there are other stringed instruments such as a mandolin and lute plus many others too numerous to mention.

I'm satisfied with just the guitar (had to learn the orchestral strings in college) but don't play any other stringed instruments. What other stringed instruments do you play or would want to learn if money wasn't an issue? Or are you content with GAS?
Cindy

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: What other stringed instruments are you interested in?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 11:00:26 AM »
After reading about Taylor's ukulele and the interest it is generating, I looked online to read up about them. I came across an instrument called a Guitalele which supposedly is a cross between a guitar and a ukulele. Of course there are other stringed instruments such as a mandolin and lute plus many others too numerous to mention.

I'm satisfied with just the guitar (had to learn the orchestral strings in college) but don't play any other stringed instruments. What other stringed instruments do you play or would want to learn if money wasn't an issue? Or are you content with GAS?

The cello hands down.  I love those!  I'm too old to learn...and there are too many Taylor guitars/ukes now to try now...  :-[
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

byrd

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »
If money wasn't an issue, time would still be a big one for me.   I could sit with my guitar for hours, but unfortunately that's not realistic on a day to day basis.  :(  I have a LONG way to go before I am where I would like to be.   I just can't think of investing that kind of time into learning a new instrument at this stage of my life.  I really wish I was more exposed to music at a young age... kind of like children who learn multiple languages very young.

I will say, however, that the Guitalele looks very intriguing.  I had never heard of them before.  This little demo on youtube has a nice little description.  It's basically a Ukalele with 2 extra low strings.  It's tuned just like a guitar with a capon on the 5th fret.  That might be fun little toy to mess around with at some point in the future...

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
I play the fiddle and do alright on the upright bass!  I too agree with the cello comment!  Beautiful instrument.  I would love to play banjo too but the fiddle and guitar take up all my practice time.
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »
If money wasn't an issue, time would still be a big one for me.   I could sit with my guitar for hours, but unfortunately that's not realistic on a day to day basis.  :(  I have a LONG way to go before I am where I would like to be.   I just can't think of investing that kind of time into learning a new instrument at this stage of my life.  I really wish I was more exposed to music at a young age... kind of like children who learn multiple languages very young.

I will say, however, that the Guitalele looks very intriguing.  I had never heard of them before.  This little demo on youtube has a nice little description.  It's basically a Ukalele with 2 extra low strings.  It's tuned just like a guitar with a capon on the 5th fret.  That might be fun little toy to mess around with at some point in the future...

Thanks for the video link! According to it, he says the strings can be tuned like a guitar (although the lowest string doesn't have a lot of tension on it). The instrument can then double as a travel guitar as well as a uke (if only using the top strings). Pretty interesting!

Josh, I had to learn to play the cello a little...playing it IS an incredible experience. :D Of the brass instruments, I really liked the baritone. I already play the flute, but the most difficult of ANY instrument I've ever had to learn was the bassoon. But there's just something about stringed instruments....:)
Cindy

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 12:40:04 PM »
I play the mandolin and bass.  I don't really have time for any others, but if Taylor were to make a uke, I would have to own one of those.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
I play the mandolin and bass.  I don't really have time for any others, but if Taylor were to make a uke, I would have to own one of those.

They are making ukes.   ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
At some point I would like to learn the mandolin and bass guitar.  Right now I am being disciplined and sticking to the guitar - I do grab my ukulele from time to time to have some fun and plug in my electric when I feel like channeling Jimmy Page.

I'm visiting the Martin factory in February and looking forward to see their manufacturing process, I have been to the Gibson Acosutic factory in MT and someday will get to the Taylor factory.  I am interested in the Martin ukes but hoping Taylor hurries up and puts out one themselves - preferably a tenor uke.

It seems (to me) they are not responding to the popularity of the instrument quick enough.  I would think that they could manufacture a ukulele at the Mexico facility at a nice price point.

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 01:13:27 PM »
I'm with Josh on wishing I could play the cello.

Right now I know how to make small snippets of music with a mandolin, 
and I can strum and pluck a few strings on a banjo (but don't tell anyone ;).)
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »

They are making ukes.   ;D

I should had specified a reasonably priced uke.  I wonder if they would consider building me only the uke, since I already have a K24ce ;D
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 06:15:13 PM »
I should had specified a reasonably priced uke.  I wonder if they would consider building me only the uke, since I already have a K24ce ;D
but the guitar is a GS model, which would complement your K26ce quite nicely, & the GSceLTD K-BR
(i'm guessing on the name) has solid lining & side braces that are likely adapted from R Taylor :o
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/builders-reserve/series-iv
the uke is hand-built with matching inlays & the guitar looks like it has koa tuner buttons :)

i guess i'm not helping much, am i ???

oh well, i tried ;)
alrighty ... moving along then :-[
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Andromeda

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 07:13:47 PM »
I weas given an autoharp yesterday. I am very eager to learn how to play it.
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »
What other stringed instruments do you play or would want to learn if money wasn't an issue? Or are you content with GAS?

Other than acoustic & electric guitar, I play the following (decently at least):

Mandolin
Tenor Guitar
Banjo
Bass guitar

I have tried violin in the past but I could never really master the bow ...
As far as confidence in public with other musicians, Tenor Guitar and Mandolin.  Banjo is just so much fun and I'm decent enough to play my limited repertoire... Bass guitar is a new endeavor and I'm going through a book right now to try and get more proficient ... it's hardest to find the time to devote to these other instruments though I find them very enjoyable ...
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
Good topic Cindy,

I am still trying to learn guitar.....  Just ask my daughter :)  In all seriousness, I'd love to learn to play the mandolin and bass guitar.  Around my parts, everyone has a guitar and at times it can get to be a little too much in a jam situation. 

I once played in a country gospel group and the bass player brought a mandolin to practice one evening.  He asked if I could learn to play it for a cpouple of songs we did.  He gave me a computer printout of some chords and his just purchased ebay mandolin.  The next week I played two songs on the mandolin, nothing fast or complex.  I never learned anything else and the band broke up about a year later.  The bass player also wanted to fingerpick a few songs on the guitar, so he and I would switch out on those.

I am looking for a cheap bass (used most likely) around my parts right now.  I'd like to become proficient with it to the point I could run with anyone in a jam situation.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »
Well, after much debate on a builder's reserve(my wife said no, end of debate) I went out and bought a uke.  I picked up a Makai LK-80w.  I haven't sat down with it for an extended time, but it's been a fun little instrument so far.  Maybe Taylor will put out a less expensive uke in the future.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:39:03 AM by bo1142 »
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass