Author Topic: Big Baby  (Read 1061 times)

mbwiel

Big Baby
« on: January 25, 2019, 08:25:04 PM »
Hello all. I’m new to this group so I apologize if this queation has been asked before.  I currently have a 210e and a Big Baby.  The Big Baby is a seemingly great guitar, but does anyone have problems keeping the neck adjusted right?  I feel like I constantly have to adjust the truss rod.  It just seems very unstable.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Big Baby
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:55:32 PM »
I've never owned a Big Baby, but I have recommended them to students.  I have never heard of this issue before, and I bought my Baby Taylor the first year they came out in 1996.  If you are the original owner Taylor might be interested in hearing about this.  A constantly changing neck does not sound normal.  Just be aware that everyone is at the NAMM show through this weekend, so getting a response might be slower than normal.  It is old school, but I also suggest calling on Monday, not sending an email.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

mbwiel

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »
I am not the original owner.  I bought it used about two years ago and when I bought it, it needed adjusted and has had numerous issues ever since to the point I had to buy the truss rod tool.  I am actually considering selling it for a Yamaha LS6M ARE.  I like the Taylor, but I don't think the neck should need constant adjustment.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 04:49:05 PM »
It is worth calling Taylor even if you are not the second owner and have no warranty rights.  They may have some useful suggestions, and have been known to go above and beyond helping folks.  They don't want defective products out there representing them.  Costs nothing to call except your time, right?

I'm assuming the neck isn't twisted.  The only reasons I can think of for constant movement requiring truss rod adjustments to maintain relief would be a) a broken truss rod or b) loose neck bolts.  Can you check the bolts inside yourself?  They might be hidden under a paper label.  The exposed screws in the fret board at about the 15th fret are easy.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

mbwiel

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 05:53:23 PM »
The screws are fine.  I adjusted the truss rod again last night so I’ll see how long it goes before it pulls relief into it again. At first the problem wasa back bow, recently it has been relief that is the issue.  I might call them...because the Yamaha is looking better by the day and selling this looks like a better idea.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 08:14:18 PM »
One other point is that you should not adjust the Truss rod more than a quarter turn per adjustment, then let it sit for a while to determine if it needs more adjustment. It is easy to overdo it.   
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

mbwiel

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 09:09:47 AM »
I'm aware of that as an acoustic player for 25+ years.  The reason I asked my original question is that I have never had a guitar with a neck that seems to be this unstable.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 11:39:27 AM »
Measure the relief ...as in measure it for consistency.  Use a precision ruler: buy one at your local Home Depot or Lowes for like $5, or use a business card, a pick, anything to ensure you are actually seeing what you think you're seeing with absolute consistency.

Only with this info can you then say that something is amiss with the TR/neck acting like a limp noodle.  In which you can call the factory and they can direct you to the closest factory-auth tech that will have the say so should warranty work be required.

Like you, I have been around guitars for quite some time and I have never in my life experienced wild changes in neck relief, even recalling the cheesy imported junk I had played in youth sitting out of its case loooong before I even knew about humidity's effect on acoustics.  Tuning changes subtly with changes in RH, but what you're describing seems very strange, indeed.  Troubleshoot with measured certainty and see what comes of it :)

Edward
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:41:19 AM by Edward »