Author Topic: Light strings on a GS mini  (Read 25681 times)

beedee

Re: Light strings on a GS mini
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 11:06:38 AM »
I have a radial nerve problem in my left hand and have great difficulty barring and stretching problem in fretting chords etc due to the weakness in it. I have persevered with 13s but to no avail ! The action causes me no amount of problems ! Could any of you excellent guitarists advise me if having the strings changed down to 11s and the action lowered would solve any of these problems!! I thank you all in advance for any kind replies and advice !!

cc7

• The Elderly Brothers of Chicagoland on YouTube
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
The good news is that it will play easier. The bad news is it won't sound very good - I tried it once.

Guitargeak99

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »
I think each guitar model is very different with regards to how they respond to strings.
My spruce top GS sounds better with lights, and plays like a dream.
However, I cannot do any “down tunings” - the strings are too flimsy.
-Taylor 322 12 Fret
-Taylor GS Mini / Spruce

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:53 PM »
Maybe have the action lowered first, then see if that doesn’t solve your issue? A setup can really change the way a guitar plays. Then switch to lighter strings if you still need to?
Good luck,
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

DenverSteve

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 11:50:15 AM »
To me the answer is - only you can tell. Many, many.....many people use light strings on GS Minis and love it.  Your experience may, or may not, be the same.  It's a short experiment and will cost you around $25 - if you decide to immediately switch back.  Fortunately, this is the same procedure for every guitar owned by every guitar player.  The first thing I do with new guitars is to experiment with the 6 or 7 different string sets that I like on various guitars and judge whether any of them sound, TO ME, better than the stock strings.  Then the result of that experiment becomes the new baseline for that guitar.  Have fun experimenting.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »
My wife used light gauge strings on her GS Mini mahogany, and even tuned down to Open G (DGDGBD).  She was happy with the easy playability.  If there was a noticeable loss of tone, I don't recall (it's been a couple of years now).  Mini also sounded OK the few times it was ever in standard tuning.

First thing I would try is to put the lights on then tune down a half step across the board to Eb.  That will be about the lightest tension you can get without going to electric guitar string gauges, and it is easily reversible.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

AmericanEagle

• Veteran Member
  • <><
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »
I put lights on my GS Mini mahogany.
Still sounds great, and is easier to play!
Medium strings hurt my fingers and tire my hand quicker.

imorroy

• I assess...
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 02:02:10 AM »
I switched to lights strings today. So much easier to play. I sacrificed some volume in the bass strings, which is fine since I usually play plugged in.
612ce 12-fret
GS Mini
Pavan classical
G-String solid koa concert uke
Ohana solid wood concert uke
Kala tenor uke
Kamaka tenor uke