Author Topic: T5z Ground Fuse  (Read 784 times)

shooten

T5z Ground Fuse
« on: February 12, 2018, 03:38:13 PM »
Within a month or two of purchasing my T5z, I experienced a popping or crackling sound while I was playing (almost like the battery was dying).  I brought it to my dealer who replaced the ground fuse.  He told me that I must have been playing through "dirty" electricity.  I am experiencing the same issue again.  I have a fuse to replace old one, but before I replace and start using it again, I want to make sure I prevent this from happening again.  Any suggestions?

KM Frye

Re: T5z Ground Fuse
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 06:44:37 PM »
"dirty electricity"?

Call me confused, but that's a term I've never heard.   I've also been playing acoustic-electrics onstage since the mid 1980's and never had something similar happen.

If you could elaborate on his diagnosis, I am sure I would appreciate it.
Kevin Frye
Composer, conductor, player

Taylor T5Z
Rickenbacker 370/12
Gretsch 6122 CG
Fender FJ
Beaver Creek classical parlor guitar

Der Geist

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:48:12 PM »
What I think he means when he says “dirty” electric is that you are in a area or building that sees fluctuation in the line voltage.  In short Spikes.  Most spikes cause problems with computers, sometimes they don’t like these fluctuations however surges and spikes can wreak havoc with sensitive music gear as well.   What I would do if I were you is get a good power conditioner, you can get the Furman ones at Sweetwater.  Try the SS6B.  They are less than $30 at Amazon.  If you are getting surges that are blowing fuses in your guitar I would think that you are putting your equipment at real risk.  In some extreme cases a surge can fry a device beyond repair especially during an electrical storm.  Its small $$ insurance for what it would cost to replace an amp or the electronics in a Taylor.  Wiki “power” conditioner for a pretty good explanation.

shooten

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »
Der Geist:  Thanks for the response.  I will look up the power conditioner. 

KM:  Thanks also.  I have never had this problem with any of my guitars over the years either.