Author Topic: Maybe it's me.........  (Read 1279 times)

69Lespaul

• "Go where the guitar takes you"
    • DezignZ by Soup
Maybe it's me.........
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
 :o :o :o

So back in March I treated myself to my first Taylor. A 114 CE. xx  from Sweetwater. Yes I know it's on Taylor's lower spectrum price and feature wise. But it is a nice looking guitar and was set up great and sounds pretty darn good unplugged, although I have other acoustics that sound just as nice that cost a lot less. Here is my problem.....I didn't buy this to use it unplugged.

I play rhythm in a 4 piece classic rock cover band. I bought this guitar hoping to improve my acoustic tone overall. From the moment I uncased it and plugged it in, I have been disappointed. Extremely so. Here are all the steps I have taken......

Yes I have changed the battery several times....like 5
I have tried the phase switch in both positions.
Tried multiple guitar cables.
Purchased the TRS-XLR cable for 20 bucks from Taylor.
I have plugged this into...... A Boss Katana Amp (using a BBE Acoustimax pre-amp, and without it)
My Hot Rod Deville (clean channel with same pre-amp and without it)
A nice 8 channel Yamaha mixer with good quality speakers (our P.A.) with and without pre-amp
And finally a Marshall AS50 Acoustic amp.

No matter what I plug this guitar into, it sounds flat and lifeless. No amount of bass, treble, and mid adjustment has helped. I can get no real volume out of it, to cut thru the band mix, without feedback. I switch the phase and the feedback goes away but so does what little volume I had. I really expected to love this guitar because everyone talks about how great they are. I have called and sat on hold for Taylor support a few times but have never been able to talk to a person there.
I have a local pal that swears by these guitars and has 5 or 6 but he uses a Bose system that costs a ton of money. Side note he says he like the ES 1 better than the 2...
My dealer suggested that I buy a 350 dollar Fishman pre-amp......ummmm for an xx dollar guitar that is advertised as not needing a pre-amp???

So I am turning here for help. Am I missing something? Is there some hidden unknown THING I have not tried to get a good acoustic tone out of this thing? Any help would be appreciated. The manual talks bout adjusting the piezo in the saddle but WTH? Should that have to be done with a brand new guitar?

Sorry for the rant. I am just very frustrated.

$, per forum rules
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:51:58 PM by TaylorGirl »
Taylor 114ce Grand Auditorium
Breedlove Atlas Series AD25/SM
Takamine (Guild Lawsuit mdl) 12 String
Gretsch G5022CE Rancher Jumbo Cutaway
Martin DCX1KE
78 Les Paul Deluxe Cherry burst
Joe Strummer Tribute Telecaster
Squier Pro-Tone Thinline Telecaster
MIJ Foto-Flame Telecaster

Hoosierguy

Re: Maybe it's me.........
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:34:39 PM »
I have the 214ce Deluxe and use it with the BOSS Acoustic Singer Amp.  I am not experiencing the same issues as you, but I have heard others mention similar issues.  It may be something you already tried, but the Taylor site offers the following :

"Plugging In
Follow these simple steps to set the proper volume and tone levels when you first plug in:

1) Turn all three controls on the guitar to the center detent position. In this position the bass and treble are flat and the volume is at the midway point.

2) Turn the volume knob on your amplifier or mixer all the way down. Plug in the guitar.

3) Set the tone controls on your amplifier or mixer to flat or a neutral position.

Note: Some acoustic guitar amplifiers do not have an active EQ (tone controls). If so, finding a neutral tone spot can be a bit more challenging but is not impossible. Setting all the tone controls on the same number is a good place to start.

4) Slowly raise the mixer or amplifier volume level to a comfortable level, then adjust the tone controls on your guitar to suit your personal taste."

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:06:19 PM by Hoosierguy »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:26:25 PM »
I have also experienced some issues with my 324's ES2. Lots of hum and very low volume. (I also own several Taylors equipped with ES1.3, and am very pleased with their performance.) In any case, I took it back to my FLGS where I bought it, and he is working with Taylor to resolve the issue. Taylor first replaced the power supply, but the problem persisted. Now they're shipping a new pickup, so we'll see if that does the trick....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

acme97

• Began playing...not sure, but Nixon's 1st term
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
Go to a Taylor authorized service station and ask for the original issue ES2 with the higher output (higher than the second generation ES2 that came with yours).

If you're still under warranty they will provide and install the original issue version, with the higher output, free of charge.

Maybe the hotter output will yield better results for you.

I also got a 114e several months ago, and had this done.  The output is indeed higher...but I had no issues with its sound, really.  For what the guitar is.  Actually, I was surprised by the amount of bass I did get from a laminated walnut body.  Taylors are bright anyway, so I roll off a lot of high end myself.  But I use that live mainly for fingerpicking, and just a few songs.

As an aside, anything can be run through a graphic EQ pedal and improved to a degree.  Good luck.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »
I have also experienced some issues with my 324's ES2. Lots of hum and very low volume. (I also own several Taylors equipped with ES1.3, and am very pleased with their performance.) In any case, I took it back to my FLGS where I bought it, and he is working with Taylor to resolve the issue. Taylor first replaced the power supply, but the problem persisted. Now they're shipping a new pickup, so we'll see if that does the trick....

Update: The pickup was replaced, and all is well. Kudos to Martin Music and Taylor!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood