Author Topic: Amplification.....  (Read 987 times)

69Lespaul

• "Go where the guitar takes you"
    • DezignZ by Soup
Amplification.....
« on: April 05, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
Please excuse my newbie-ness. I was curious about how the Expression System sounds through a normal amplifier (non acoustic variety).
Since my guitar does not get here until Friday I have not had a chance to play it. I have heard and played other Taylors in the past, but none with the Expression system. I know that my Breedlove sounds pretty good through any amp. Just curious about the Taylor. I'll find out for sure on Friday! Well unless UPS is late.  :(

I did try a search on this topic, but did not find any real answers.
Taylor 114ce Grand Auditorium
Breedlove Atlas Series AD25/SM
Takamine (Guild Lawsuit mdl) 12 String
Gretsch G5022CE Rancher Jumbo Cutaway
Martin DCX1KE
78 Les Paul Deluxe Cherry burst
Joe Strummer Tribute Telecaster
Squier Pro-Tone Thinline Telecaster
MIJ Foto-Flame Telecaster

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
Re: Amplification.....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
It would work, but the sound I would not care for.

antsap

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:55:30 AM »
Here's my experience and thoughts:

If you are used to playing through normal amps then I'd guess you will be happy with it.
I've played my es2 taylor through good PA's with nice pre-amps and a touch of reverb and it sounds flat out amazing.
If I plug it into my silverface deluxe reverb or vibro champ, it sounds like a wet fart in comparison.
Haven't had a chance to try it through an acoustic amp (fishmen etc). Guessing that might land somewhere in the middle.

thanks!
2016 Taylor 814CE
2016 Taylor GS-Mini Koa
2012 Taylor Big Baby
2016 Martin D12X1AE

69Lespaul

• DezignZ by Soup
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies...both of you.
I have a small Troubador by Ibanez, that my Breedlove sounds pretty sweet though. However, I just loined a new band and am doing about half and half duty on electric and acoustic rhythm. I don't want to have two amps over at the rehearsal space all the time. I think we can just plug this new Taylor into the PA and that should do the trick. Thanks again guys.
I'm pretty sure that going thru my Deville Hot Rod, would in fact sound like a wet fart LOL.
Martin DCX1KE

CurtBean

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
I guess I could be called a perfectionist when it comes to amplified sound quality but this setup has really paid off for me.
I have 2 Taylor guitars, 2003 710ce (ES1) and a 2015 856ce 12 string (ES2).
My little 3 piece group plays classic country, folk, bluegrass, and gospel.
I chose the Bose L1 Compaq with the T1 ToneMatch. I feed the instruments thru the ToneMatch and the mics thru a Yamaha 12 channel mixer.
The resulting sound is of the most high in quality that doesn't blow away the front 2 rows.
Our last gig was a 50th wedding anniversary and they liked the sound so well that they gave us all a sizable tip above the agreed price.
Wow! Now that says it all. Guess we're doing the right thing.
I know it's a little expensive, but the sound quality and portability really pays off.

69Lespaul

• DezignZ by Soup
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 02:37:45 PM »
Thanks Curt. I have a local solo performer that I know that has that exact set up. It sounds like butter indeed! My problem is I can't afford that LOL! I do have a very nice Mackie P.A. I'll see how it sounds thru that as well as the Troubador acoustic amp. That amp has a direct line out, so I can still send it to the PA. Guitar is on time for tomorrow! Ye Haw!
Martin DCX1KE