Author Topic: Pickguard on 918e?  (Read 1082 times)

audioguy

Pickguard on 918e?
« on: April 04, 2017, 12:16:49 AM »
I just bought a 918e, it will be here later in the week.
I'm wondering if anyone here has heard one with and without a pickguard, and if so could you tell any difference in the sound of the guitar?

The guy I bought it from put what I assume is a plastic tortoise shell-colored pickguard on it, although he assures me there's no enthusiasm scratches under it.

Thanks!

audioguy

Re: Pickguard on 918e?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 02:40:10 PM »
I've decided not to remove the pickguard for now, but in my mind that's a bit incidental to the surprise I got when I first played the 918e. After UPS dropped it off I removed the strings, oiled the ebony, (fingerboard and bridge) and replaced the custom truss cover with the stock one I bought from Taylor a few days ago. Sprayed and rubbed it down with Gibson guitar polish, then restrung it with Elixer medium (.013) phosphor-bronze.

Yes, I was (and still am) surprised. I've only had two Taylors in the past, a 4-series koa GA and a vanilla 814ce. As a GO I expected the 918e to be different, but wow... Not to raise any hackles here, but it sounds more like a jumbo Martin than a Taylor! It has huge (not muddy) bass, and the mids are very well balanced with the highs. I was only able to spend an hour or so actually playing it last night, but again, wow. If my opinion doesn't change over time it may turn out to be my all-time favorite fingerstyle guitar. Flat-picking may wash out a bit live without electronics and an EQ curve as compared to a GA, but since the action is set very low as I received it the jury may still be out on that.

What a beautiful instrument. I may have to build a glass-faced humidor just to show it off.  ;D

quake17

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »
Congrats on the 918e! Sounds like it has already wowed you!

I have no opinion on the pick guard though I'd imagine it's affect would be minimal.

audioguy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »
Thanks!

I see you have a 618e. What strings do you use on it?

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 07:58:41 PM »
Congrats on the 918 - I had the pleasure to play one a couple of years ago - it truly was a powerhouse with lots of rich tone. Enjoy!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Paul Tobias

• Tobiasmusic.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 12:48:16 AM »
I've decided not to remove the pickguard for now, but in my mind that's a bit incidental to the surprise I got when I first played the 918e. After UPS dropped it off I removed the strings, oiled the ebony, (fingerboard and bridge) and replaced the custom truss cover with the stock one I bought from Taylor a few days ago. Sprayed and rubbed it down with Gibson guitar polish, then restrung it with Elixer medium (.013) phosphor-bronze.

Yes, I was (and still am) surprised. I've only had two Taylors in the past, a 4-series koa GA and a vanilla 814ce. As a GO I expected the 918e to be different, but wow... Not to raise any hackles here, but it sounds more like a jumbo Martin than a Taylor! It has huge (not muddy) bass, and the mids are very well balanced with the highs. I was only able to spend an hour or so actually playing it last night, but again, wow. If my opinion doesn't change over time it may turn out to be my all-time favorite fingerstyle guitar. Flat-picking may wash out a bit live without electronics and an EQ curve as compared to a GA, but since the action is set very low as I received it the jury may still be out on that.

What a beautiful instrument. I may have to build a glass-faced humidor just to show it off.  ;D

Andy Powers designed these with fingerstyle players in mind. I had the opportunity to see a GO top before it was glued to the body. I was surprised by how light the bracing was. With such a big body, the vibrations from the back and sides can really get the top to "explode", even with a lighter touch. Next time you change the strings, stick a mirror and flashlight down inside the guitar and check out the top braces. Very cool design.
Paul Tobias
Tobias Music - Taylor Dealer For Over 30 Years
Downers Grove, IL

audioguy

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:59:53 AM »
Andy Powers designed these with fingerstyle players in mind. I had the opportunity to see a GO top before it was glued to the body. I was surprised by how light the bracing was. With such a big body, the vibrations from the back and sides can really get the top to "explode", even with a lighter touch. Next time you change the strings, stick a mirror and flashlight down inside the guitar and check out the top braces. Very cool design.

Not that it will come as any surprise to members in this forum, but I suspect Andy Powers is a man who knows what he's doing. I spent another hour or so with the 918e last night playing fingerstyle, figuring out how to put that big dynamic range to use. A soft, percussive strike in the bass or a muted harmonic accent up on the neck with this guitar takes on meaning I haven't gotten with other instruments. You could say I'm impressed. :-)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:01:55 PM by audioguy »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 01:30:43 PM »
Congrats on the 918e. It really sounds like a fabulous guitar. My new 914 is still wowing me.....its little bro.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!