Author Topic: A Great Sounding Ephphone?  (Read 1874 times)

ParisTNDude

A Great Sounding Ephphone?
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:23:40 PM »
I was anticipating sending my Taylor to El Cajon for the ES2 upgrade, so I went to my favorite shopping place, the local pawn shop, and half heartedly looked for something cheap to play in the interim. I found an Epiphone EJ200CE Jumbo hanging on the wall. It was in new condition and the pick guard had no scratches on it at all, so I think it was fairly new and unused. I sat down and played it probably for an hour or more. It had great tone especially in the lower range and it was very easy to play. They were asking only $XXX for it, so for kicks I offered $XXX out-the-door and they accepted it. I had done a quick search on my smart phone and found you could buy them new for about their asking price.

We had a Christmas party and my borther-in-law played the Epiphone and wanted to buy it on the spot for what I paid for it. I told him, when my Taylor came back, I might consider it. Anyway, I've been playing the Epiphone quite a bit and am amazed at how much I like it. Of course, it's no Taylor, but for a low cost guitar, I'm quite impressed!  If you ever see one somewhere, give it a "lick" or two!

$
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:55:16 PM by UTGF-Team »

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
Re: A Great Sounding Ephphone?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »
ParisTNDude, if only for my own curiosity, what model Taylor are you writing about?

I like larger bodied guitars and also own an Epiphone EJ200. I will agree that it is a great sounding guitar, but there is the qualifier about 'for the price'. I got mine used and needing work, but it sounded and looked great, so I bought it pretty cheaply, had some work done, and bought an Epiphone hardshell case for it. All for quite a bit less than a new one. Have to say it looked good enough to catch my eye in the first place and ended up being an impulse buy. I was not in the market for a new guitar at the time (last year) and was just 'passing through'.

So the result for me is that I got a good guitar for a reasonable price and a little extra time on my part. My EJ200 is over twenty years old and is not a cutaway nor does it have a pickup. Actually none of my acoustic guitars has a cutaway, and only my 2 Taylor six-strings are not 'straight up'; that is not having 'c' or 'e' modifications. I ended up using Elixir HD Lights on the EJ200 and am pleased with the results. However it is of laminate back and sides construction, and does not have as good an overall sound as any of my solid wood construction guitars. So while I certainly like it and play it, I must admit it is just not in the same league as my other acoustic guitars. Nor should I expect it to be. But I am very pleased with it and it does have it's uses.

Don

edit> Laminated back and sides have maple veneer, and I believe the solid top is spruce. It had 20+ years of experience before I got it.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:07:28 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

ParisTNDude

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
I sent my 814CE of 2005 vintage to Taylor for the upgrade.

Yeah, there's a lot to like about the EJ200 and especially the price. Jumbo size guitars have a decent resonance to them, but there are many flaws in the amplified sound. It's boomy, if that's a good word. It will do me quite well until I get my Taylor back and then my brother-in-law can have it.

I've been perusing Craigslist and eBay for used Taylors and they're all quite expensive. I saw one with a cracked neck and a poorly repaired cracked body top and he was asking nearly xx for it. I'm going to check Guitar Center for a new or nearly new less expensive Taylor.

$, per forum rules
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:58:41 AM by TaylorGirl »

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 01:36:36 AM »

. . .but there are many flaws in the amplified sound. It's boomy, if that's a good word.

Not sure what you mean by 'boomy'. From the context, I presume you mean this is something that happens when amplified? Isn't this something that can be controlled or modified when using an amp? Sorry, I'm a bit in the dark on this. While I do have 2 acoustics that can be plugged in (both my Taylor 6 string models), I haven't except for initial testing.

If not just when amplified, then what? If you are referring to volume, then OK. A large body guitar can give you that. If there's too much of a bass sound, there are people that can't get enough bass. May also be greatly affected by playing style. I also have a Gibson J200, with which I can produce a natural sound (guitar has no amplification) that I can best describe as a bit of a 'rumble'. Would that be close to boomy?

. . . used Taylors and they're all quite expensive.

I don't think there are (m)any bargains when it comes to Taylor guitars. Or Martin. Or Gibson. If you are thinking of getting a used instrument with known problems, you must factor the cost of repairing into the asking price. Research new and used pricing, because the cost of repairs may be excessive, making a guitar in good condition a better buy. And any complications during 'surgery' may result in cost overruns. Sorry, you probably already have this figured out, but I had to mention it just in case.
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 07:48:30 AM »
... I've been perusing Craigslist and eBay for used Taylors and they're all quite expensive. I saw one with a cracked neck and a poorly repaired cracked body top and he was asking nearly xx for it. I'm going to check Guitar Center for a new or nearly new less expensive Taylor.

In the case you're citing, I would consider that a wishful asking price by the seller, given the condition.  You know the old adage when selling something:  you can always negotiate down, but you can't negotiate up...  His asking price seems to be the bottom price limit on used solid-body Taylors, give or take; so that's where he's probably starting his negotiation, perhaps hoping a neophyte to the market will bite...

Depending on the model/series, you can get, say, a used and undamaged 300- or 400-Series Taylor for that money, pretty easily.  Even for a trade-in at a Taylor dealer, where you'd be reasonably assured the guitar was in good order and probably needed little or no work.  You just need to shop a bit more.  Laminate-body full-size Taylors (100- and 200-Series) can be found for less on the used market.  They're still good guitars, but you're giving up the solid wood body and wider nut to get the lower price.

$, per forum rules
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:59:43 AM by TaylorGirl »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

ParisTNDude

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 09:16:15 PM »
All great comments. I wouldn't really consider buying something as bad as a cracked neck guitar. I only mentioned it to illustrate how pricey used Taylor's are.

I perused the Guitar Center used Taylor listings. All I could think of is...why did the original owner sell or trade them. I did some creative thinking on financing including trading my trading my Fender American Jazz bass that I never play any more. I can probably find something new within my budget. I'm probably going to Memphis tomorrow to check it out.

burns

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 03:07:24 PM »
i've heard great things about the elite series that came out of japan.

ParisTNDude

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 11:43:23 PM »
Solved the problem today with the purchase of a 214CE Dlx and what a smart move that was. I just got back from Memphis with it and spent the first 3/4 of an hour home, playing this awesome guitar. I think the fit and finish of this guitar is exceptionally good and the tone, brightness and sustain are great. It's really not a cheap guitar by any means even though it is inexpensive...lol. I love it. I am going to plug in to my Fishman Loudbox Mini tomorrow and play for hours. Finally getting my calluses back in shape.

deepermagic

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »
I've always thought that Epiphone has some pretty good guitars for the money. I own the EJ-160E (Lennon signature edition), and while (IMO) it doesn't compare next to my Taylor, it's a great sounding guitar. And I never even had it professionally set up (which I'm sure would make it even better). About the only complaint I'd have is that the electronics are wonky.

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 11:36:01 PM »
About the only complaint I'd have is that the electronics are wonky.

May be something that is fixable with a little research. If it's a genetic fault, then someone has probably found a fix already. Found a thread in another forum that might help:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330402

My EJ200 is an older model and doesn't have electronics so I don't have that problem. Actually it might be me, but my Epiphone seems to sound better than it used to, say as recently as a few months ago (bought it used; I've only owned it a short time). Maybe it sounds better because I'm getting more familiar with it can do, but it also may have something to do settling on using Elixir PB HD lights for this guitar, and with keeping it humidified against indoor dryness during a New England winter. Even laminate (layered?) guitars can benefit from proper humidity, and the top is solid wood.

Don
* The Heard: