Author Topic: TruPlug - how to replace Taylor ES system  (Read 7189 times)

jeastman

TruPlug - how to replace Taylor ES system
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:13:18 PM »
I posted this over at the AGF as well, but since this is a more select (brand-wise) crowd, though it might be more useful.

About a year ago I developed a problem with the ES system (original AA) on my Taylor 414. After having a replacement tail unit sent and doing everything I could it was determined that it needed to go in to Taylor for some more serious work. Only problem - Taylor has yet to expand to anywhere close enough to Istanbul to make it worth my while.

So I took the opportunity to do something I'd always wanted to do - try out another pickup. After researching I really wanted to put the K&K pure western in. I'd played a couple of guitars with it and loved the sound, so why not. Of course, as with anyone who has tried to replace the ES system the problem is the footprint left in and around the pin in the tail.

Several months ago I posted on here and was contacted by Butch Boswell, a California luthier who was developing a product called the TruPlug to solve just this problem. Though not in full production yet, he said he'd be happy to sell one to me. Great! Not wanting to ship stuff through customs I waited for a visitor to haul it over and I received the TruPlug and the pickup before Christmas and installed it New Years Day.

For any and all interested, I documented the process - it was so beautifully simple.

First ripped out the old system including tail piece, control knobs/circuit board and body sensors.

While I'm at it, do a bit of adjustment to the saddle that was needed...

Installing the new pickup (used directions that came with it...very simple)

Maybe a little heavy with the glue, but perfectly aligned

The adapter for the ES tail unit. This thing is very well built, lightweight but very sturdy aluminum and fit perfectly...Just slide the plug through the hole and adjust the width on the pickup sleeve with the nuts/washers

Remove the adhesive backing

In she goes

Replace using the screws from the ES

Also provided is a piece to cover the holes left by ES control knobs

And there she is!

Total time including removal of ES, saddle adjustment and installation is a bit over 1 hour. If anyone is looking for a simple way to replace their ES that is not a cheap fix, I highly recommend contacting Butch. He is a great guy, fast communication and shipping. Thanks a million, Butch!