Author Topic: Looks like we have some broken hearts... here.  (Read 1124 times)

Bernie

• Music Lover
Looks like we have some broken hearts... here.
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »
Funny experience on this forum :

(The topic was about how different prices ended up being for an american resident and someone in France, considering that wages may be higher in the U.S., and that we would usually pay a Taylor guitar over 25% more here...
Problems started as prices were indicated - but only to show these differences -, which is supposedly forbidden on the forum...

However may I remind that price discussions on guitar forums are usually forbidden to avoid that people should use non related topics to try sell their instruments : the rule here says that "Guitar Price discussions are not allowed (...)", and this was a GUITAR COST DISCUSSION - not price - . Though some people started giving me prices and the equivalent fare in euros, which i already know and didn't ask for...)

Very impressed by the amount of freedom of speech & tolerance here...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:47:02 PM by UTGF-Team »

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
Re: Looks like we have some broken hearts and fascists p... here.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 12:32:39 PM »
Bernie,

In American baseball, it's three strikes and you're out. You were given more than three strikes. And in 'Doctor No', Bond says "You've had your five".

Your semi-semantic argument holds water like a sieve. While not exact synonyms, in dictionaries the entries for 'cost' and 'price' each use the other word multiple times to define each other. Ergo if 'price' is outlawed, so is 'cost'. Note that prices/costs not relating to guitars were left intact.

Also, I think you are wrong with your blanket slam... Name names if you got 'em. Then call 'em what you like. Personally, I would rather define the 'delete and lock' actions as more properly 'draconian'.

All of that being said, I was actually shocked by what one moderator wrote (and has since been deleted). But only by the act of posting, not necessarily the content (which shouldn't have been posted since it broke the basic rules itself).

Don

edit> BTW, 'draconian' does not mean 'unjustified'.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:48:49 PM by UTGF-Team »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo