Author Topic: How to post big HQ pics - Quick tutorial  (Read 6575 times)

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
How to post big HQ pics - Quick tutorial
« on: January 09, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
During a convo on another thread with another user, I realized it might be good to give a quick tutorial on how those of us that post big, beautiful, detailed pics here on the UTGF do it. I did not go into PHOTOGRAPHY techniques or equipment stuff at all... assuming everyone can point and shoot with an iPhone, Android phone, or p&s digital camera that we all have these days.

The quick tutorial below simply focuses on how to get a pic the right size, how to post it to a hosting site, how to then copy and paste it from that hosting site to the UTGF post you are working on. See steps 1-6 below!!

I've run into the file size issue and was wondering the same thing.  I had to downsize the pictures quality twice to get them up here on the forum.  Still working on the Mini.

I also wondered about resizing once they are here, the pics I put up are long and small and when I click on them they get larger than the screen and I have to scroll which reduces - IMO - the impact of seeing the image in one frame.  These guitars we post here are so very beautiful.

Hey TP516 - what methodology are you using to post pics? I use the "standard" AFG method, which is longer and more cumbersome, but WELL worth it for the size and quality of images I am able to post. I believe ALL the users that post big, beautiful, detailed pics here on the UTGF are using the same "standard" method of pic posting, which is...

1) Edit your digital pic(s) in Photoshop or other image editing software, to get it cropped, levels adjusted, and re-sized to about 8-10 inches wide in 72 dpi resolution. (this step is not mandatory, but very helpful)

2) POST your pic (or pics) to a free photo hosting site (I use Photobucket.com, but Flkr.com and other work just as well). Organize multiple pic posts of different guitars (or whatever else) into separate albums.

3) Start a post in the UTGF (or reply to a post), CLICK ON THE "INSERT IMAGE" ICON (left side, 2nd row down, just above all the smileys) and you will get this text to pop up... [img][img] with the cursor flashing in between the 2 "img" brackets.

4) Navigate over to your Photobucket/Flkr/Other site (where you have ALREADY posted the pics you want to share on UTGF) and select the ONE PHOTO you want to share right now. Mouse over the image thumbnail (without clicking) and a list of options will appear, one of which is called "Direct Link". Click on the "Direct Link" choice and the URL of that photo will be copied into your computers pasteboard.

5) Navigate back to the UTGF post you have in progress and PASTE (Ctrl-V on a PC) the "Direct Link" URL you just copied from the Photobucket site in between the 2 [img] brackets. Finish the post and hit "Post" (or "save"). THAT'S IT... YOU HAVE JUST POSTED A HUGE, BEAUTIFUL PIC TO THE UTGF!!  ;D

6) Repeat steps 1-5 for each and every pic you wold like to post, now or in the future.

Hopefully this helps us all to be able to share the biggest, highest resolution pics with each other as possible.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:52:09 PM by jjrpilot-admin »
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
Re: How to post big, HQ pics like a pro on the UTGF - quick tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
As Cindy mentioned in another post on another thread, the posting of pics is not mandatory, and if pics are posted, there are several methods of doing so. My post above was not intended to "pressure" anyone either to post pics, OR to post them in a certain way (using a specific methodology). I hope the tutorial is taken in the spirit it was given... just a helpful path for those who would like to walk down it but didn't know how yet.

Thanks.  :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:50:34 PM by dsamuel24 »

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »
Dustin, thanks for the gracious clarification! ;)
Cindy

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
During a convo on another thread with another user, I realized it might be good to give a quick tutorial on how those of us that post big, beautiful, detailed pics here on the UTGF do it.

Good tutorial, now can you help me with posting links?

Used to be I could highlight a word or phrase, click on the "insert hyperlink" icon above and paste my link, but I can't get it to work. How can I get the link to disappear with just the highlighted word representing it?

Oh, and photographs? Let me suggest that lighting is everything, get the guitar next to a window or go outside if weather permits and don't use a flash. Usually the auto setting on a digital camera works fine.
Here's one I like.

Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »

Click here to go to the thread with directions. :)
Cindy

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »
OK, here goes

Cool.

So the text goes between the pair of url brackets and the link goes just behind the first "url" with an equal sign in front.

Got it, thanks!

Bill R

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
jpmist,
Beautiful guitar.  Is that mahogany or maple?  It looks like mahogany, but I'm not sure.
Bi;;
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
jpmist,
Beautiful guitar.  Is that mahogany or maple?  It looks like mahogany, but I'm not sure.
Bi;;

I'm busted,  :o  It's a quilted mahogany Larrivee I just got and thus had a pic handy. I'll put up my recent Taylor acquisition soon. . .

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:35 PM »
OK, here goes

Cool.

So the text goes between the pair of url brackets and the link goes just behind the first "url" with an equal sign in front.

Got it, thanks!

Wow, beautiful fingerstyle song! 8) Thanks for sharing! :)
Cindy

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »
OK, here goes

Cool.

Got it, thanks!

I'm glad you found MY directions on how to post a hyperlink helpful.  ::)  In all seriousness, I'm actually glad Cindy got on that request and provided a great link to the right thread and that it resulted in you posting your link to that great song. IS THAT AN ORIGINAL PIECE or is it a cover? Beautifully played, indeed. I think ANYONE who reads this should click on your link and take the 55 seconds to listen to your song. I'm glad I did!! :D

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:59:54 PM »
During a convo on another thread with another user, I realized it might be good to give a quick tutorial on how those of us that post big, beautiful, detailed pics here on the UTGF do it.

Used to be I could highlight a word or phrase, click on the "insert hyperlink" icon above and paste my link, but I can't get it to work. How can I get the link to disappear with just the highlighted word representing it?

Oh, and photographs? Let me suggest that lighting is everything, get the guitar next to a window or go outside if weather permits and don't use a flash. Usually the auto setting on a digital camera works fine.
Here's one I like.

What a GREAT pic of a BEAUTIFUL guitar. And I agree with your tips about lighting. Glad you found the tips on posting from a hosting site helpful... you sure got it down!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:01:33 PM by dsamuel24 »

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 11:27:40 PM »
Blush, blush, blush, it's an original, thanks guys.

But busted again as that was just a snippit for the Larrivee guys to hear the quilted mahogany OO-05  I just got.

I probably shouldn't push my luck, but to be fair and balanced here's some Bob Dylan covers done with my recent purchase, a Taylor 12 Fret.

The difference in tone between the two is quite amazing since they're of similar size. They both do well with the bass and midrange melodies I like to work into my playing. Am extremely fond of both and privileged to have 'em. . .

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 03:28:16 PM »
Could we make this thread a "sticky" so it doesn't get lost at the bottom of the pack?  I read it but I'm sure I won't remember your simple instructions when the time comes!
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 06:38:07 PM »
Next lesson: How to TAKE pictures like a pro...

Jim (not a pro by any means)
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »
Yeah Jim, that IS a pro pic indeed!! I LOVE your photo work, and the angles/lighting/focus aspects you play with (have mastery over?) are super cool. Go ahead... post your photo-taking tutorial, I'm sure lots of us would benefit from your experience (new thread?).

The above photo is my favorite of yours, from the ones I've seen here on the UTGF, but they are ALL very nice!  :)