Author Topic: "My Own" Taylor Signatue Model  (Read 10556 times)

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
Re: "My Own" Taylor Signatue Model
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »
About nine years ago, I had heard that in 1995, Taylor was considering phasing out the 612 model. Yet it was one of the favorites of Richard Cotten, the late owner of Cotten Music in Nashville. He convinced Kurt and Bob to build about 62 copies of a special "Cotten" Taylor 612c with his own specifications: 

• a specially modified standard inlay to make it look like a  cotton bole inlay,
  • a more highly figured flamed maple back and sides than usual,
  • and the sharp Florentine cutaway.
It was a fingerstyle dream! When Richard died of leukemia soon thereafter, Taylor donated part of the proceeds to fund leukemia research.

I had wanted one of these, "my own" Signature Series, ever since I first heard of them. They didn't show up for sale very often, and their owners tended to prize them highly. I had asked a couple of fellow members of the then-Taylor Guitar Forum about them, and they were as enthusiastic about their Cottens as I knew I would be.

In July of 2003, Kim Sherman of Cotten Music in Nashville and Darcy Cotten, Richard's widow, helped me obtain one of these special guitars in pristine condition. It had been used a few times in recording sessions, but I couldn't tell it from one that was brand new. It was strictly acoustic, and though I've considered adding a non-invasive pickup, I haven't done it yet. (I like the K&K Pure Mini on my McKnight.) So far, it's only been played through a mic, and it has a wonderful tone - clean and clear, round and full, with enough bass to be heard but not over balanced.

Cotten finally got his Cotten, and for the past eight years it has often been found in my lap while I mess around with online computer stuff. Don't you wish you had your own signature model Taylor?  ;)

cotten
(Yes, I still have the Taylor Guitar Forum shirt around here somewhere!)

What a wonderful story John, thank you for sharing it.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
My non-Cotten Taylor, a 2000 914c, has the Cindy inlay. I like it a lot - elegant, yet not across the line into gaudy. All this time, though, I thought it was named after Bob Taylor's wife, not our friendly local Moderator...

Wait... Ummm,... Cindy,... What's your husband's name again?   :o

cotten

LOL! I think you've got me mixed up with the wrong family. I have a few siblings:

I do have a brother name Bobby along with brothers Peter and Greg as well as my older sisters Jan and Marcia. ;D

;)
Cindy

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing that story, John.

It's a beautiful guitar.  ;D
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »
My non-Cotten Taylor, a 2000 914c, has the Cindy inlay. I like it a lot - elegant, yet not across the line into gaudy. All this time, though, I thought it was named after Bob Taylor's wife, not our friendly local Moderator...

Wait... Ummm,... Cindy,... What's your husband's name again?   :o

cotten

LOL! I think you've got me mixed up with the wrong family. I have a few siblings:

I do have a brother name Bobby along with brothers Peter and Greg as well as my older sisters Jan and Marcia. ;D

;)
:)

:D

;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45CHLPg39Kg

i don't believe i caught your eldest sister's name, Cindy ???
just wanted to make sure i heard correctly, was it ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZHveWFvqM
;D
hi cotten,
i was wondering if you might have a pic or 2 floating around of your 914c
that you might could possibly share with us, if it is not too much trouble ...    pleeeez  :-[

i owned one in the past (00 914c), but mine just did not have the tone i desired :(
it had great playability & was a beautiful guitar with excellent craftsmanship ...

& at the time, i didn't realize it had the UTGFModerator inlay on the fretboard ;)

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »

i don't believe i caught your eldest sister's name, Cindy ???
just wanted to make sure i heard correctly, was it ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZHveWFvqM
;D
hi cotten,
i was wondering if you might have a pic or 2 floating around of your 914c
that you might could possibly share with us, if it is not too much trouble ...    pleeeez  :-[

i owned one in the past (00 914c), but mine just did not have the tone i desired :(
it had great playability & was a beautiful guitar with excellent craftsmanship ...

& at the time, i didn't realize it had the UTGFModerator inlay on the fretboard ;)

Where'd you get my family video? :o

;)

So Michael, what type of fretboard inlay did your '00 914c have on it? Was it the traditional 900 series inlay from long ago? And cotten, it sure would be nice to have a sneak peek of yours!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:15:16 AM by Cindy »
Cindy

cotten

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 01:21:47 AM »
At this moment, I can't locate pictures of my 2000 914c, but, hey, except for the ES and a touch of runout in the Englemann, mine looks almost exactly like this one from the Taylor web site. http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic-electric/900/914ce/

I don't have a decent camera any more since my trusty old Olympus OM-2 died, but maybe I can come up with some shots of my 914. Nice guitar! (My hummingbird has the eye dot - some don't.)

cotten
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:25:06 AM by cotten »
Soli Deo Gloria

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
hey there :)
from one of the earlier posts, it sounds like you've got a pretty special 914c (tonally also) ... very nice 8)

until there is a photo opportunity, if you could possibly answer one little question for me, please,
as inquiring minds want to know & er, maybe there's one other person that's interested too ???

i was just wondering if your bird is awake or asleep - just curious if the bird inlay has an 'eye-dot'

the answer can wait until a pic is posted ...
let's just keep 'em all guessing ;)

play on (need a guitar smiley to put here) :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
I'm not a Cotten owner, but I played one on TV...  ;D
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

cotten

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 11:25:16 AM »
Hey, roadbiker:   ;D

Michael:
...(My hummingbird has the eye dot - some don't.)

That's probably why my 914 sounds so good. It's "opened up."

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria