Author Topic: ES2 feedback  (Read 1117 times)

ats88

ES2 feedback
« on: September 02, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
I was playing a gig last night with a GA w/ES2 that I've played plugged in before without any issue, but last night there was this very strange feedback. Not the high pitched squealing kind, but this low bass feedback that became like a very loud hum. I had one of those feedback buster soundhole covers in. The feedback stopped if I muted the strings. There were a few others playing there, and I didn't hear this feedback from any of them. My guitar was the only Taylor.

Couple things about the room setup - it was a very strangely shaped room, like a very long triangle, and the stage was at the apex of the triangle. There weren't monitors, but the speakers above me were close enough that I could hear myself pretty well.

So was this just a bad sound guy? Why was it only my Taylor that was affected? Why didn't the soundhole cover prevent this? A friend mentioned that the sound guy might have just had the bass up way too high. If this happens again, can I reduce the feedback by lowering the bass on the ES controls?

Thanks!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: ES2 feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »
Could be the sound guy, certainly. Floor monitors or IEMs?? ...as loud wedges can easily result in what you're describing.  Also try inverting phase so the guitar's top is out of phase with the house speakers. Lots of DI boxes have that switch.

Edward
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:31:17 PM by Edward »

nhbiker1961

• My duo
Re: ES2 feedback
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 04:27:27 PM »
Acoustic guitars are always a challenge on stage with feedback. The way I control it over the phase switch and sound hole covers is playing through the Fishman mini and having a line out to the audience speakers with the guitar very very low in the floor wedges mostly relying on the amp behind me as a guitar monitor. And I play loud rock in very noisy bars, it works for me.
Taylor 414ce
Taylor 214ce
2-Godin A6
Fender-strat
Fender-teli
Peavey
Washburn 12 String
Godin SD
Epiphone Red Dot
Wahburn dobro
Les Paul
Peavey Bass