Author Topic: You Never Know What the Future Holds  (Read 5983 times)

Joseph

Re: You Never Know What the Future Holds
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 08:01:16 PM »
Congratulations Eddie! Of course, our history is not near as ancient as your area in the Northumberland region of England... but the Great Lakes are a fascinating place in the US. I believe that the Mackinaw Bridge is the longest in the country@ 5 miles (please correct me if I am wrong.. any Michiganders). Michigan is a great state, and a lot of good folk songs have been written about the Great Lakes....
Here is a recent one written by a group who lived near Lake Huron as a good example......

https://youtu.be/QpJPhMphjfs
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:13:00 PM by Joseph E »
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 09:54:55 AM »
Congratulations Eddie! Of course, our history is not near as ancient as your area in the Northumberland region of England... but the Great Lakes are a fascinating place in the US. I believe that the Mackinaw Bridge is the longest in the country@ 5 miles (please correct me if I am wrong.. any Michiganders). Michigan is a great state, and a lot of good folk songs have been written about the Great Lakes....
Here is a recent one written by a group who lived near Lake Huron as a good example......

https://youtu.be/QpJPhMphjfs

That's a really nice track Joe, thanks; the only 'Lakes' song I was familiar with was the very poignant Gordon Lightfoot song 'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'.

We had hoped to get up to Mackinaw, during our last visit, but only made it as far north as Traverse City; we are hoping to get further north on the next trip.

As you say, Northumberland has a very rich history and a fair few castles to go with it :).

DSC_2596 by Eddie Conway, on Flickr
Our local castle.

However, I must admit to not being a native of the county, I ended up here more by accident than design, due to my military career; originally I am from the city of Liverpool.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

Joseph

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »
Wow... that is beautiful Eddie!  ..probably a few "ghost" songs and stories written about it too... over the centuries!
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

NavyChap

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
 originally I am from the city of Liverpool.
[/quote]

Eddie  - just found this thread -- my grandmother came from Liverpool!  Her maiden name was Kearney.  Not sure that I have any relatives still in that area -- I know there are more in Mercyside, Lancashire, and Eccleston (? spelling)

Jim
2015 Taylor 314ce
1997 Taylor 414ce
2005 Zager ZAD50CE
2016 Seagull S6 Original
2016 Epiphone PR-5E/N

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 06:21:47 AM »
originally I am from the city of Liverpool.

Eddie  - just found this thread -- my grandmother came from Liverpool!  Her maiden name was Kearney.  Not sure that I have any relatives still in that area -- I know there are more in Mercyside, Lancashire, and Eccleston (? spelling)

Jim
[/quote]

Hi Jim, don't think I ever knew any Kearneys. Like many surnames from Liverpool, including my own, I suspect it has Irish roots; there aren't many 'Scousers' (the name given to people from Liverpool) who don't have some Irish ancestry in them.

You should try and visit some day, it is a great place, and the library has very good genealogical data.

Unfortunately. I don't get back there as much as I'd like.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.