Author Topic: Taylor 814ce string gauges  (Read 14409 times)

psp

Taylor 814ce string gauges
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »
Curious what Taylor factory strings are on the Taylor 814ce - is it the Elixir nanonweb light gauge .12-.53?

I read that taylor doesn't encourage going for a thicker gauge on these models - wondering if anyone has tried a set of light-medium 12-56 I believe and the change in tone?

thanks
psp
2011 Taylor 814ce
Gibson es 335

SoloTaylor

Re: Taylor 814ce string gauges
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »
I think lights sound better than Mediums.

on the x14's

And a lot has to do with set up/nut/saddle with the type of strings you decide to put on your 814.

Cheers,

Solo

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »
You can put heavier strings on a GA, but take a close look at the attitude of the neck. Keep a weather eye on it, and if things start to shift around, consider going back to lights. Taylor engineers the guitar for the specific strings. The GC and GA bodies are designed and perform best with light gauge. The GS, DN,and Jumbos take mediums. Putting heavier strings on may actually have the reverse effect you are looking for and you might not get the additional volume or tone you thought you would. Experimenting with your pick technique can have a greater effect than slapping on fatter strings, and trying different brands of the proper gauge also has potential to give you the magic tone you seek. At any rate, every Taylor comes with 80/20 Elixir Nanoweb. The R Taylor guitars had Phosphor Bronze Elixirs.
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »
Yes, as Jim just mentioned, the GA's come from the factory with the light gauge 80/20s. When I attended a Road Show in the summer of 2010, they mentioned that mediums are fine on a GA but they suggested getting a set up done to adjust for the extra tension.

I'm sure you'd be okay with a light-medium gauge but don't know if they would require a set up. Back in the fall I put a set of phosphor bronze Elixir lights on my 2008 914ce. This one doesn't have the CV bracing, but those strings added more volume and more bass/mid-range than the 80/20s. They do feel like a slightly heavier gauge (possibly the coating is thicker but I don't know for sure). At first the tonal changes were so different that I didn't like it. After two weeks I was amazed and impressed loving the tone and volume (of course that was right AFTER I sold all the PB's that I had). ::) What a pleasant surprise! If you are looking for a tad more volume or to tweak the mids/bass a little, consider the Elixir phosphor bronze lights. They will warm up the tone in comparison to the 80/20s.
Cindy

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
I've always been perplexed by Taylor's decision to use 80/20's because they're very bright strings on a guitar that's already built for brightness.  As Cindy suggests, a way to warm up the tone a bit is to switch to PB's.  And a way to warm it up even more is to try a string like DR Rares, which is my absolute favorite on my 814.

Putting medium strings on a guitar built for lights may require more than a setup; you might need to have the nut worked on or replaced.  The V-shaped grooves in the nut allow light-gauge strings to sit in their optimal positions; but put thicker medium-gauge strings on your guitar, and the strings will sit higher in the grooves, raising the guitar's action.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »
I've always been perplexed by Taylor's decision to use 80/20's because they're very bright strings on a guitar that's already built for brightness.  As Cindy suggests, a way to warm up the tone a bit is to switch to PB's.  And a way to warm it up even more is to try a string like DR Rares, which is my absolute favorite on my 814.

I agree.  I use only PB strings on my Taylors.  I've always used Elixirs but just put on a set of DR Rares to try.
I don't like the string squeak.

...  The V-shaped grooves in the nut allow light-gauge strings to sit in their optimal positions; ...

Actually the nut slots should not be V-shaped because that can cause pinching and binding.  The nut slot bottoms should be U-shaped so the string seats properly at the bottom and slides easily.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

darylcrisp

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
Curious what Taylor factory strings are on the Taylor 814ce - is it the Elixir nanonweb light gauge .12-.53?

I read that taylor doesn't encourage going for a thicker gauge on these models - wondering if anyone has tried a set of light-medium 12-56 I believe and the change in tone?

thanks
psp

you've received a lot of spot-on advice already. i'll add a few of my thoughts and things i've done.
based on what type of music you play, and how you play(bare finger, nails, pick),some string experimentation can bring the wonderful nature of that 814 fully out.

for myself mediums have worked fine, to be on the safe side i drop my tuning 1/2 step from standard-that keeps the tension within the values of a Light gauge set that is tuned at standard tuning. the 1/2 step drop may even please you more in its voice and the reduced tension of the fretted string even though its a larger gauge. (likewise you may just want to drop the Light gauge set 1/2 step to see where that goes). i do use a lot of dropped tunings so the mediums work easy that way.

I'm a huge fan of DR RARE's on Taylors-give them a day or three and the tone will set it and mellow out a tad. Be aware that DR lists the size on the box a little different than other brands(a Medium set of Rares are 12-54 which are like most other brands of Light gauge). They make a whole slew of available gauge mixtures in the RARE's.  Typically you'll hear a deeper bass and thicker trebles with the RARE sets. to my fingers, the Rare's feel as if they bend easier than other brands(daddario, martin, elixir)although i have no scientific data to support that.

As others mentioned, if you keep the mediums on, be sure to adjust the nut slots for proper fit-easy and quick to do with nut slot files, or have a tech you trust do it, along with a total setup check.

I really like the 80/20 Nanowebs on Taylors, but lean to uncoated strings for myself.

Martin SP's are pretty nice as well. I like both the 80/20 and phosphur bronze in those.

update us on what you do and how you like it
d
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:53:35 PM by darylcrisp »

psp

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 02:09:22 PM »
amazing replies - thank you all kindly
2011 Taylor 814ce
Gibson es 335

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
I only know about what Taylor ships form reading in the forums and on their web site. When I bought mine, the strings were dead and I had the shop put on new strings. Per my request they installed a set of D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights, which I have been using on all of my acoustics. I just got a set of Elixer 80/20 Nanowebs and am going to check them out (probably tonight because it's time) and see how I like them. But aside from a little finger squeal, the D'Addario's really sound great - at least to my ears.

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »
I only know about what Taylor ships form reading in the forums and on their web site. When I bought mine, the strings were dead and I had the shop put on new strings. Per my request they installed a set of D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights, which I have been using on all of my acoustics. I just got a set of Elixer 80/20 Nanowebs and am going to check them out (probably tonight because it's time) and see how I like them. But aside from a little finger squeal, the D'Addario's really sound great - at least to my ears.

Jim

I agree with the D'Addario suggestion.  I use the elixir nano 80/20's on most of my guitars, but switch to D'Addario pb lights when I want a tone change.  Strings are the cheapest way to play around with tone, so mix it up until you find what you like best.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:11:49 AM »

thanks
psp
hi psp,
i use d'addario exp19's ( .012 - .056s) on a 02 814ceLTD &, to me,
they deepen the low end a but & added some warmth to the mids
(over the 80/20 nanoweb lites)
i like them & the light G, B & e are easier to fret than mediums

haven't been able to play much lately, but i hope to do more soon

good to see you here

WELCOME !
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...