Author Topic: "Gig" Today  (Read 1553 times)

Doulos

"Gig" Today
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:15:11 AM »
This afternoon my wife, Sandy, and I are going to play a few songs for a seniors group in honor of Mother's Day.  They enjoy getting together very much.  We will all bring a dish and the food is always wonderful.  Just imagine all those grannies preparing their special meals. Today everyone will bring a picture of their Mother and her favorite dish. 

One of our grannies used to sing bluegrass.  I was surprised when she started talking about when her husband used to take her to her "gigs".  She's a sweet lady.  We usually have between 20 and 30ish or so.  Sometimes we get a few visitors.  Sometimes a few kids that are out of school.  We eat, we sing, we enjoy one another's company.  Wish you were here.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: "Gig" Today
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:26:07 AM »
Gotta love those kind of gigs.  Enjoy, and don't eat to much.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:19:24 AM »
Sounds like a great afternoon... enjoy!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »
You need to have the "Bluegrass granny" join you! Have fun!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Doulos

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 02:55:37 PM »
I appreciate all the replies.  Thank you all so much.  We had a great time.  I ate too much.  One of the dishes was "chicken and dumplings" and a particular desert I took a liking to was a homemade blackberry pie. Oh man!  I can't do this to much.  Guess I'll have to find my lounge chair now and catch a few Zzzzzzzzz!  lol

p.s. this Taylor is earning its keep! ha ha
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:17:44 PM by Doulos »

autovon

• Just a humble guitarist looking to learn more
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 02:13:49 AM »
I used to play at a couple of senior homes, ones that specialized in dementia. I remember Edna, who was present the very first time I played. She was rowdy and rude, and the experience made me ask myself this question: am I really playing for them, or am I playing for me. I decided to go back because I really wanted to play for them. Every visit after that Edna was sweet and seemed to enjoy the music. It was a very powerful experience for me. Thanks for sharing!
- T5 Cocobolo (the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen... that I could afford:) **FOR SALE**
- BTO GS with cedar top, IRW b/s, and bloodwood trimmings (the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever played)