Author Topic: ES2: Has A Remedy Been Found To Eliminate Trebly Pinging On G and D Strings?  (Read 7342 times)

kcnbys

Resurrecting this thread to say that my recently purchased 324e is giving me the same issue, mainly on the D string. As has been mentioned, it is especially noticeable amplified, and it is NOT, I repeat NOT affected by posture; at least not with my guitar. It definitely sounds better fretted and with a capo. I took the guitar to the repair shop I generally use, and wouldn't you know it - the tech could not hear it. I was afraid that might happen. I described it as best I could. The guitar does need a set-up, so he's going to do that, and specifically make sure the nut and saddle are cool. He's also going to call Taylor to pick their brain on it. I'm hoping the set up takes care of it. I certainly hope the ES2 is not exacerbating the problem. I did try adjusting the screw for the D & G strings, but it made no difference. Any other thoughts, ideas, or new info on this D string "ping" issue?
2019 Taylor 517
1997 Taylor 410
2019 Yamaha FS800

Gordo in OZ

Never had this problem but like others I suspect that there is some nut issue. Luthier could fix it in a few minutes.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) USA
Larrivee California SE OM19 (2003) USA
Larrivee L-05 Custom (1995) Canada
Larrivee Maple Special Edition Parlor (2003) Canada
Guild D55 (1974) USA
Marshall AS50D
Mandolins, Autoharps, Concertinas, a Mountain Dulcimer and a Harmonium.

Rob_J

If the "trebly, pinging overtones" being discussed here is the same thing that I'm hearing from my 416ce, I will agree that it is VERY annoying. Mine is from the B string mostly but also from the G string to a lesser degree. In my case it's not related to the ES system though because I get it both plugged and unplugged. It's just amplified when plugged in. It's especially apparent when a string is picked hard. Not as much of a problem with gentle fingerpicking or light strumming. I've been debating whether to take it to a luthier and have it checked out. The guitar has not had any kind of set up since I got it a month or so ago. This annoying ping is the only issue that keeps this from being a GREAT playing guitar.

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
For what it's worth....
I had the same issue. I tried everything mentioned here and nothing worked. I know it was not the ES2.

So I spent the shipping money and sent the guitar to Taylor and they performed the following:
Reset neck, dressed frets, new nut & saddle, new strings, adjusted ES2, and setup to spec.

The guitar came back and the problem was fixed. They did not say which repair or combination of repairs actually fixed the issue.

They did not charge me a dime for the repairs and even picked up the return shipping. The guitar was still under warranty.
I have 5 other Taylors and have not had this issue with any of them.

I hope this helps. Best of Luck!!