Author Topic: UPDATE: Baritone arrival (two guitars, travel I-65, pass in the night)  (Read 6325 times)

darylcrisp

in 20 degree temps, they will pass each other at some point(more than likely), one in a big brown truck-the other in i suppose a big white truck.

Gutch and Daryl wait patiently.

d
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:54:50 PM by darylcrisp »

dbf909

Whew, I thought it was a "Word Problem"...
2010 Taylor GC8
2011 Taylor GS-Mini
2007 Taylor 214e (my son's first acoustic)
2003 Taylor NS32ce
2003 Taylor Baby Ltd. Maple
2003 Taylor 414ce Ltd. Rosewood w/ES
2003 Taylor 455ce Ltd. Rosewood w ES
1979 Martin HD-28
Various Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, and Gretsch electrics from 1960's to 2011

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
Chalk one up for USPS - The 12 Fret arrived today.  Got about 30 minutes to check it out -- Looks and sounds pretty.  Unfortunately, I have a major presentation to complete tonight and a 630am flight to Dallas tomorrow, so the full review and pictures will have to wait for the weekend.

The baritone is bigger, that's why it takes longer to get there...   :-[
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

darylcrisp

Chalk one up for USPS - The 12 Fret arrived today.  Got about 30 minutes to check it out -- Looks and sounds pretty.  Unfortunately, I have a major presentation to complete tonight and a 630am flight to Dallas tomorrow, so the full review and pictures will have to wait for the weekend.

Glad to hear it made it there, you didn't mention the neck so i'm glad the glue joint has held where my dog jumped on it about a month ago and snapped it in two places-used some shoe polish to match the neck color and i must say it looked identical to me-the strings are headed towards the dead side, i think i left you a note, and you know, i just remembered i never did check the ES on that babe-you might want to plug in.

;)

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com

Glad to hear it made it there, you didn't mention the neck so i'm glad the glue joint has held where my dog jumped on it about a month ago and snapped it in two places-used some shoe polish to match the neck color and i must say it looked identical to me-the strings are headed towards the dead side, i think i left you a note, and you know, i just remembered i never did check the ES on that babe-you might want to plug in.

;)

Dang, that's jacked up!! But funny... ROFL funny!  ;D
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

SoloTaylor

Nice..............I have been saving for a Bari!!!!

Hope to have one in March..Me thinks  ???
Cheers,

Solo

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
Very cool how you two traded guitars! Looking forward to your reports on how much fun you will have once you get a chance to try them out (and of course, hopefully pictures)  :)
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA

;)

Gutch didn't tell you that you will have to reattach the neck on his, did he?  Much cheaper to ship in the smaller box.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

darylcrisp

Very cool how you two traded guitars! Looking forward to your reports on how much fun you will have once you get a chance to try them out (and of course, hopefully pictures)  :)

yes, it worked out nice for both of us (especially if the ES works in the GC and once i reattach the neck on the baritone ;D). i've been interested in trying a baritone for some time and i think he likes the GC body size-and the 12 fret design will be new for him, as the bari will be for me. we were only out shipping so essentially we haven't lost value in either guitar as we would have in selling more than likely.

it was an easy trade that worked out simple and quick. i'm quite a fan of this trading as i've done it now 3x with forum members and it is fun, interesting, and little loss of $, and brings new adventure in your guitar world.

and i'll be sure to post pictures and a prelim review over the weekend-you'll see it here on the UTGF first.

i have some "different"  ideas i want to try on this baritone-i'll report whether they work out or not(it won't be the guitars fault).

d
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:14:23 PM by darylcrisp »

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
I've always wondered, how do these trades work?  You guys have any advice on a newbie willing to try one some day?  I'm guessing much of it is just basic trusting each other?  thanks!
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

spieler

Is the Baritone an 8-string? I played one of those once, and it was one of the oddest guitar experiences I've had to date (doesn't take much, but still). I had the strange impression that someone was humming along while I was strumming, and that I should maybe start humming also.

Have fun with your new-to-you guitars, guys.  :)

~ S.

darylcrisp

I've always wondered, how do these trades work?  You guys have any advice on a newbie willing to try one some day?  I'm guessing much of it is just basic trusting each other?  thanks!

i've been selling, trading, buying for about 5 years now. i've sent $3000 guitars cross country without knowing the person, and with no payment. I used to just tell folks, "wait till you get it, make sure its what you want, then send me the $". I still do business that way pretty much. I don't think i've ever requested $ up front. To me its a feeling of trust and belief in the human. I have declined selling on two occasions due to a gut check feeling-and later found out my feeling was correct.

i usually will email back and forth a few times, maybe get a phone number and talk to the person-that goes a long way with the "gut check". if you are a regular on the forums-here and the AGF, you may see the persons name and posts and already have a feel for who/how they are.
I think thats pretty much where Gutch and i were at, he sent an email and told me he had the GT6 and said he could get pics out if i was interested, i declined the pics as he told me the condition was nice in play and build. i don't think he asked me any further questions on the 12 fret other than reading my ad. we both told each other we could get them out last thurs/friday. i thought overnite and did more research on the baritone as i know nothing about them-sounded like a fun thing to try so i responded next morning and told him to send me his address-mailed the GC that day. i think he shipped the following day.

we didn't discuss returns or much anything else. it was kinda one of those spontaneous things to do-like driving by a bridge in mid July thats about 30 feet high. pulling off the side of the road and taking a look, thinking about it, then just jumping in(thats very cool if you've never done it).

one day i'll probably get rednecked, but i haven't yet.

if you get serious and its your first time trading long distance i would do the same things you might do as if buying long distance:
1)ask about a return option-if one of you do want to return how to handle that
2)shipping method-make sure you are getting the guitar shipped in a quick and good way and by the shipper you like to use
3)definitely ask for pictures before hand, and if possible a soundclip(didn't do either this time)
4)trial time-how long of a trial period(i would think 48 hours is plenty-i usually know in 10 minutes if a guitar suits me right off)

thats all i can think of at the moment-others might chime in to help

d

darylcrisp

Is the Baritone an 8-string? I played one of those once, and it was one of the oddest guitar experiences I've had to date (doesn't take much, but still). I had the strange impression that someone was humming along while I was strumming, and that I should maybe start humming also.

Have fun with your new-to-you guitars, guys.  :)

~ S.

i have the 6 string coming. before i posted the GC 12 fret for sale/trade, i had researched using youtube and quickly determined i preferred the 6 string(think Ed Gerhard or Martin Simpson playing Shallow Brown/Howl/Streets of Forbes). I didn't want the extra chime of the octave strings-i wanted the deep lush of the sixer.

Hey Sarah, on another note, remember that young man who has pretty much nothing but is an awesome local player-you sent me a RedBear pick for him about a year or so back?? He's doing well, uses the pick a lot-its worn down a huge bunch, and has played at Bristol Rhythm/Roots in a band and by himself with another guy.  he really appreciated that pick

d

darylcrisp

:) :) :) :) :) :)
the big brown truck hauling the GT6 has been spotted in Maryland leaving at 3:45pm today.

In Transit: On Time
Business Day(s) Left 1         

Scheduled Delivery:
Thursday, 01/05/2012, By End of Day
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:44:40 PM by darylcrisp »

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
Thanks for that detailed response, that was very generous of you.  I've never done a trade obviously, but think it's a pretty good way to go.  I just have to be "done" with one of my guitars (not likely any time soon) and  find the right replacement guitar/person willing to trade.  Your advice is very appreciated.

BTW, what is "rednecked".  I imagine it's something that happens to you or your car once you jumped into the river?  Talk about faith!
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3