Author Topic: Pickup for a GC8  (Read 4533 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Pickup for a GC8
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 05:42:01 PM »
The Baggs IBeam works great for me.  I use the active so have no experience with the passive.  The active cannot be powered via phantom pwr, though ...at least not to my memory.

The JJB transducers (as had been said, just like the K&K) are also good.  On others advice, I went with the 15mm transducers over the 20mm, and even these need the bass rolled down.  Agree, too, that placement makes a difference on these.

I like the aforementioned two because I personally don't care for the tone of UST type amplification ...just not my cup o' tea.  But even with the above, I definitely recommend using a good preamp to shape the tone.  As a matter of fact, I purposely went with the JJB passive setup on one of my guitars because I knew I did not want to mess with a battery on that particular guitar, and already use a preamp, so that works great for me.  Sure you can use the IBeam or K&K or JJB without a preamp, but man, you are really compromising your tone, IMHO.  A good preamp does much to shape your live sound, and whatever system you get, I'd personally build this into your cost.  FWIW, I've used the LRBaggs PADI and currently use the Venue: I prefer the latter, but like both a bunch.  Hope that helps you a bit :)

Edward