Author Topic: Powered speaker  (Read 3300 times)

Eno60

Powered speaker
« on: March 14, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »
Hello, I have a loud box mini that I use around the house,in the near future I want to go out and play,small places, I am afraid that the mini will not be enough in some cases, so I thought about using a small powered speaker a 10 or 12 inch to put on a stand and then use the mini as a personal monitor, will my idea fly? Anyone doing this or has tried this setup? A lot of small places do not have a pa system to plug into, or maybe I should have bought the Artist. And if this is a good idea ,what do you recommend?
     Thanks..

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Powered speaker
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 05:07:54 PM »
When you say "small places," what size rooms are you talking about?  How many people do you expect to be there?  If the places are small enough (book stores, coffee shops, etc.), it's very possible your Loudbox Mini alone would be sufficient.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »
The Loudbox and Loudbox Mini get great reviews, but I don't have much experience with them.  I don't see why the Mini would not work as plenty of stage monitor while something else handles front-of-house (FOH) coverage.  It might even work for the whole room too.

I used to have a pair of Mackie SR-450's.  They are very clear and accurate in tone, kinda like overgrown studio monitors, but are bigger than you mentioned.  I like the 450 sound better than the smaller SR-350's, as much as I really wanted the smaller speakers to work.  These days, we mostly use a Roland AC-60 and / or an AC-33 (battery powered) box for small to medium venues like a coffeehouse.  The newer Roland AC-90 has a bit more power still, but we've never felt the need to upgrade.  It depends on your needs and the size of the room you intend to fill.

For large venues and outdoors, I have a Mackie PPM 408 powered mixer driving two pairs of Carvin PM5 passive monitor bookshelf speakers.  http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/pm5-b-program-reference-monitor-black
The Carvin's are light and sound good too, and with four of them spread out we've successfully covered a 300 seat re-purposed movie theater - with a balcony.  One of the four can be turned back toward us as a stage monitor if needed.

Between all this equipment we can handle anything that we are likely to encounter, including outdoor weddings and up to a 300 seat theater.  Venues that are larger would have their own PA system and stage monitors, and sound tech.  We are generally an acoustic guitar, one voice, and a mic'ed flute.  Sometimes we have an extra guitar player or a bass too, but not often.  Hope this helps.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 05:24:13 PM »
Loudbox Mini is a pretty potent little amp. If you are in a place where people are listening to the music, it will handle a fairly large space. Trying to compete with 20 different loud conversations, going bigger/louder is about all you can do. I usually play thru a friends Bose L1 when we do little gigs, but once I used my Mini and the others were on the L1. I could easily be heard in a big room with 75 people. I'd suggest trying it out before investing in more equipment. One thing that helps is getting the amp off of the floor. I use a little folding wooden table.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Eno60

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 05:33:01 PM »
When you say "small places," what size rooms are you talking about?  How many people do you expect to be there?  If the places are small enough (book stores, coffee shops, etc.), it's very possible your Loudbox Mini alone would be sufficient.
Yes book stores,coffee shops small places like that, yes the mini will most likely work,and I will be fine.. I just wanted a back up plan just in Case I get a larger gig down the road, just coming out of the XLR on the rear of the mini to the powered speaker on the stand ,sort of a half a PA set up and the little mini would be my stage monitor..

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:26:20 PM »
That sounds like a good plan, Eno.  Wait until the mission defines your need.  In the meantime, the Mini will work just fine, especially if raised up off the floor.  You could even put it to the side of the stage aimed at an angle, so some spillover becomes your "monitor".
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 10:03:27 PM »
I have a Loudbox mini, which I love.  It's very loud for it's size and as others have stated will do great in smaller environs which are relatively quiet.  It's also a great stage monitor for when you're playing through a PA.  It helped me hear myself so much better in this capacity.

In line with your question, my next goal is to get a QSC K12 powered 12 inch speaker, which also SOUNDS phenomenal.  You should hear the ES2 plugged straight into it.  You can get so much girth of tone, and so much bass, that your Taylor will blossom!

My plan is to get one for the purpose you've addressed (when I need more than the loudbox mini), and then add a second for larger venues.  I will still use my Loudbox mini to run my guitar through as I like how it sculpts/DI's the tone a bit when playing through a PA. 

Hope that helps. :)
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

PaulWood

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 07:27:15 AM »
Hi. I'm not familiar with the Loud Box Mini but have used a single Mackie SRM150 in a small space to good effect. I've now got 2 of them which double as a small PA (for small space)s or as monitors for my Souncraft + Mackie SRM450 PA system (for larger spaces). Out of interest, I'll check out the Mini.

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 11:55:35 AM »
Out of interest, I'll check out the Mini.

Me predicts ye shall like it!
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

gscratch

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 01:29:25 PM »
We have a pair of Samson Expedition XP106 for about two years which we've been happy with.  Easily filled a small room and we've used them outdoors as well.

We've used them as powered speakers driven by a mixer board and just as they are; each has a XLR and a 1/4in line-level input, and you can tie them together so that the input to each comes out of both.  We always have a mic in each and a dulcimer with a pre-amp in one and a Taylor ES2 into the other.

Battery recharge time is a little long (>4 hours) but they play at full volume for at least 8 hours
2017 Oscar Schmidt 45ce
2017 Taylor 512ce 12-fret
2016 Kala uBass
1973 Guild D-25 mahogany
2012 Taylor 310ce
2013 Taylor 456ce
2014 Peavey Composer ukelele
2005 Rick Thum 17/17 hammer dulcimer

nhbiker1961

• My duo
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 03:18:15 PM »
I play out of a loud box mini too, but even the small places where I gig, they can get loud when they fill up. So I run a powered mixer with a couple of 12 inch speakers on stands and then run a line out of the mini because I like the effects on it to a channel on the mixer. That way no matter the size or the background noise, I have enough power to be heard.
Taylor 414ce
Taylor 214ce
2-Godin A6
Fender-strat
Fender-teli
Peavey
Washburn 12 String
Godin SD
Epiphone Red Dot
Wahburn dobro
Les Paul
Peavey Bass
2 Fender Basses
Acoustic bass.

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 05:01:03 AM »
I agree with Guitarawesome,  the soul band I play in use 4 QSC K12's with subs and we the can fill almost anywhere. In your case I'd probably look at the K10 though.

I've got the van at home so I might try plugging into a K12 when the wife goes out :-)

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 12:22:39 PM »
One thing to keep in mind when choosing amps is that more power is NOT always a benefit.  For example, a 100W amp has to be at idle (1 or 2) to avoid blowing out a small room, whereas a 30W amp can be turned up to 7-8 and sound good.  It can also go to 10 when you are in a large space.  My Mackie 450's had tons of power, but in most settings they were never turned up above 3-4, even at outdoor festivals.  Best to fit the tool to the job, and use a different tool for a bigger mission.

Markb914

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 12:48:22 AM »
I'm on a budget, so can't afford a lot of the things being posted about, but I've been doing small winery type gigs for years using Powerwerks 50w powered speakers, with a small sub. 1 for tiny gigs, 2 chained for slightly larger, and I have 1 I use for a monitor. Just my .02

easynote

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 12:21:14 PM »
Look into the EV ZLX12P  powered speaker/PA, I own one and it is awesome and will fill your needs for, monitor - PA - sound enhancer .
It has two inputs with separate volume controls for each so it is a mini mixer as well. This is all the power and volume and venue filling sound you will need.