Author Topic: Just out of curiosity how did you find this forum?  (Read 24289 times)

Stevedel

Re: Just out of curiosity how did you find this forum?
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
I purchased a 214DLX just to see what all the hubbub was about. Did a "Bing" search to find a Taylor forum and found you fine folks.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »
Welcome Stevedel! Congrats on your new Taylor!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

NavyChap

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »
Stevedel -- welcome aboard!!!
2015 Taylor 314ce
1997 Taylor 414ce
2005 Zager ZAD50CE
2016 Seagull S6 Original
2016 Epiphone PR-5E/N

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2016, 06:10:18 PM »
Though I got my first Martin before I bought my first Martin, I got to know the UMGF first...And once I told to myself "maybe they have a forum too !?" So I ended up typing Unofficial Taylor For...
And ended up here...

Heywoodja

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2017, 04:59:17 PM »
Someone posted an invite on the Taylor owners FB page.
'16 Taylor   CGAce      Koa /Tas Blackwood
'16 Taylor   CGSce   Adi/Indian RW
'13 Taylor   616ce SLTD LTD Euro spruce/Macassar Ebony
'14 Taylor   718e FLTD   Sitka /blackheart sass
'15 Taylor   T5z   Pro-QM LTD   Quilted Maple   
'10 Taylor   314ce           Sitka /Sapele
'85 Alvarez Yari DY73
'86 Yari DY DY68 12str
Ovi
Yam

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
Someone posted an invite on the Taylor owners FB page.

sweet! that was me!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

lbanks

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2017, 12:03:29 AM »
Purchased my first Taylor  in November...GS-Mini Koa.  Have "heard" about Taylor's' off and on for years (my 40 yr old son's name, so naturally it gave me a "huh" moment).  Never really researched them until lately; having retired I have a renewed interest in a long lost love...acoustic guitars. I probably had not picked one up but a dozen or so times in a couple of decades...well, you know, "life happens." 

Have had many guitars over the course of 55 years...currently about 17 or 18 (nothing high, hell likely not even mid, level).  I'm "exposing myself" (chortle) to a variety of body sizes, woods, etc.  As I am studying "Luthiering" I plan to do setup/repairs and resell acoustics, mostly as an education/experience/labor of love endeavor. I have  been a woodworker of one form or another (just retired from tree service, now that's primal woodworking experience) most of my life, along with numerous other enterprises; and ya' know what?...I'm still a darn rank amateur when I get a guitar in hand...lol.

My main guitar is a 1974 Guild D40 I purchased new, it and a 1970 something lawsuit Martin knock-off and my new Mini are my go-to instruments at present.  I have learned an enormous amount about the design, construction and dynamics of acoustics over the last 6 +/- months, and have now via actual hand's (ear's?) on experience aligned my preferences with what my (potentially) ultimate guitar will be.  Found a very interesting 'study' online: (http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/hearing/the-guitar-experiment/online-tests/); absolutely mindblowing for moi'...I highly recommend it.  I have labored under the delusion that my "ultimate, be-all, last I would ever want/need" guitar was...tada...HD-28!!!  WRONG!!!!  Almost mortgaged the wife to snap up a great deal on one, new, drive out, shipped free, FINANCED NO INTEREST 12 months....and 45 day 'no questions asked' return policy'.  darn glad I could not justify it; wifey would have been pissed too :-). Anyway, back to my point...the "ears on" study was enlightening (you would'a had ta' bin' there)...I did their blind test run through and consistently picked two b/s tonewoods (all spruce top guitars used in the study), and they weren't Rosewood! I have since gone back thru the test(s) multiple times, refining my techniques and keeping copious notes; still dead on consistent with my top two choices, with one edging out the other for 1st place; 1 statistically significantly (say that 10 time fast) comes in third, while the other three flop around a bit for 4th thru 6th...but that's academic. After a few runs through, the position of the guitar presented becomes a constant, so some objectivity is lost, but I compensate by compressing my scoring and putting days/week(s) between exposure; I know I can say with confidence what I most appreciate in tonal quality from that experience and having listened to hundreds (hyperbole?) of online comparisons of these versus other tonewoods.  I am purposely withholding my pick(s) as I hope some of you take the opportunity to experience the study, and we will have a  whole new thread to pursue. :-). Keep in mind, there are only 6 different guitars, i.e., only 6 tonewoods, but they are the 'standards' of the industry and likely reflect (no pun intended) the tonal characteristics enjoyed by most "guitarophiles" (sic). 

Ok, now what was the question? Right...how did I end up here...quite simply, researching the Taylor line.  After purchasing one, then discovering my "tastes", I became more convinced that the Taylor resides at the top of the heap over all that I have experienced...albeit, I obviously have not played a fraction of the others, dare I say that would probably take more years than are likely allotted to me, but using my totally objective perspective (NOT...read TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE), the demos of the instruments I have managed to experience (Martins, Gibson's, Matons, Breedlove, Seagull high end, Yamaha hi end, Larrivees, BlueRidge, ...gasp...the list is far longer, but you get the point), Taylor has more than held it's own for my listening enjoyment, and I have played most of their stock models (sigh, love at first pluck).

OK, no one asked for a short story that was not Pulitzer worthy, but once I get on a roll, well..you see.  I will end with an apology for this tome of a posting and ask your tolerance...I don't know the rules of the game here...don't do participatory forums (typically), but my passion for guitars and specifically Taylor's paragon of the art of guitar building has opened up a floodgate.  Thank you folks for this forum, and I promise to at least try to be more succinct in the future...likely get my wrist slapped and be instructed to 'cop or drop' :-).  Regards all...

$
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:49:49 PM by UTGF-Team »

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2017, 02:01:19 AM »
Purchased my first Taylor  in November...GS-Mini Koa.  Have "heard" about Taylor's' off and on for years (my 40 yr old son's name, so naturally it gave me a "huh" moment).  Never really researched them until lately; having retired I have a renewed interest in a long lost love...acoustic guitars. I probably had not picked one up but a dozen or so times in a couple of decades...well, you know, "life happens." 

Have had many guitars over the course of 55 years...currently about 17 or 18 (nothing high, hell likely not even mid, level).  I'm "exposing myself" (chortle) to a variety of body sizes, woods, etc.  As I am studying "Luthiering" I plan to do setup/repairs and resell acoustics, mostly as an education/experience/labor of love endeavor. I have  been a woodworker of one form or another (just retired from tree service, now that's primal woodworking experience) most of my life, along with numerous other enterprises; and ya' know what?...I'm still a darn rank amateur when I get a guitar in hand...lol.

My main guitar is a 1974 Guild D40 I purchased new, it and a 1970 something lawsuit Martin knock-off and my new Mini are my go-to instruments at present.  I have learned an enormous amount about the design, construction and dynamics of acoustics over the last 6 +/- months, and have now via actual hand's (ear's?) on experience aligned my preferences with what my (potentially) ultimate guitar will be.  Found a very interesting 'study' online: (http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/hearing/the-guitar-experiment/online-tests/); absolutely mindblowing for moi'...I highly recommend it.  I have labored under the delusion that my "ultimate, be-all, last I would ever want/need" guitar was...tada...HD-28!!!  WRONG!!!!  Almost mortgaged the wife to snap up a great deal on one, new, drive out, shipped free, FINANCED NO INTEREST 12 months....and 45 day 'no questions asked' return policy'.  darn glad I could not justify it; wifey would have been pissed too :-). Anyway, back to my point...the "ears on" study was enlightening (you would'a had ta' bin' there)...I did their blind test run through and consistently picked two b/s tonewoods (all spruce top guitars used in the study), and they weren't Rosewood! I have since gone back thru the test(s) multiple times, refining my techniques and keeping copious notes; still dead on consistent with my top two choices, with one edging out the other for 1st place; 1 statistically significantly (say that 10 time fast) comes in third, while the other three flop around a bit for 4th thru 6th...but that's academic. After a few runs through, the position of the guitar presented becomes a constant, so some objectivity is lost, but I compensate by compressing my scoring and putting days/week(s) between exposure; I know I can say with confidence what I most appreciate in tonal quality from that experience and having listened to hundreds (hyperbole?) of online comparisons of these versus other tonewoods.  I am purposely withholding my pick(s) as I hope some of you take the opportunity to experience the study, and we will have a  whole new thread to pursue. :-). Keep in mind, there are only 6 different guitars, i.e., only 6 tonewoods, but they are the 'standards' of the industry and likely reflect (no pun intended) the tonal characteristics enjoyed by most "guitarophiles" (sic). 

Ok, now what was the question? Right...how did I end up here...quite simply, researching the Taylor line.  After purchasing one, then discovering my "tastes", I became more convinced that the Taylor resides at the top of the heap over all that I have experienced...albeit, I obviously have not played a fraction of the others, dare I say that would probably take more years than are likely allotted to me, but using my totally objective perspective (NOT...read TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE), the demos of the instruments I have managed to experience (Martins, Gibson's, Matons, Breedlove, Seagull high end, Yamaha hi end, Larrivees, BlueRidge, ...gasp...the list is far longer, but you get the point), Taylor has more than held it's own for my listening enjoyment, and I have played most of their stock models (sigh, love at first pluck).

OK, no one asked for a short story that was not Pulitzer worthy, but once I get on a roll, well..you see.  I will end with an apology for this tome of a posting and ask your tolerance...I don't know the rules of the game here...don't do participatory forums (typically), but my passion for guitars and specifically Taylor's paragon of the art of guitar building has opened up a floodgate.  Thank you folks for this forum, and I promise to at least try to be more succinct in the future...likely get my wrist slapped and be instructed to 'cop or drop' :-).  Regards all...

$

this is an awesome post and i wanted to try your link but your post added a semicolon at the end
http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/hearing/the-guitar-experiment/online-tests/

welcome and feel free to type away, looking forward to some interesting posts from you!

thx for sharing the link i will try it tomorrow when the kids sleep!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:50:46 PM by UTGF-Team »
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

lbanks

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »
Howdy Zeebow...thanks for letting me know that someone actually read my post...lol.  Sorry bout' that link...dang cut 'n paste...not me of course, it was the Russians :-)

Look forward to the potential camaraderie and sharing of experience, knowledge, and just plain ole dang Joy and fun.

Best

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2017, 12:29:43 AM »
Howdy Zeebow...thanks for letting me know that someone actually read my post...lol.  Sorry bout' that link...dang cut 'n paste...not me of course, it was the Russians :-)

Look forward to the potential camaraderie and sharing of experience, knowledge, and just plain ole dang Joy and fun.

Best

i can relate to your 1st post. we have 3 kids, two are young (4 and 2) so finding time is tough, especially w/ challenging work schedules. all that being said, i'm excited about my upcoming BTO which should be here soon, will be my first small body guitar and 1st 12 fret..

what's your current fav?
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 10:23:54 AM »
I found this through the Taylor Guitars Owners Group on Facebook. I believe Zeebow posted about it. Don't know about anybody else, but I find that group to lean towards the pretentious. There are a few folks on there who promote their own business but then moderate the heck out of anybody else who even brings up the topic of buying and selling. And I have also found there to be a pecking order of sorts. So far this forum here has been very different. Very positive. Thanks everybody.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
I found this through the Taylor Guitars Owners Group on Facebook. I believe Zeebow posted about it. Don't know about anybody else, but I find that group to lean towards the pretentious. There are a few folks on there who promote their own business but then moderate the heck out of anybody else who even brings up the topic of buying and selling. And I have also found there to be a pecking order of sorts. So far this forum here has been very different. Very positive. Thanks everybody.
Welcome! You'll find things to be pretty interesting and fun around here. It's friendly, like a family (or should I say like most families  ;)).
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »

woo hoo! i did, i asked the mod on that group and he was cool with it. i'm new to that group so i don't have an opinion on it. i can say i "met" some cool people on there.

this forum is super friendly, some other guitar forums can be rough around the edges but this one, everyone is supportive. for instance, got tons of good advice for my BTO

if you have questions hit me on the private messages or just post!
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

Jacob99

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2017, 02:14:29 PM »
I just did a Google search for "Taylor forums".

shinksma

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »
I found this forum in the last couple of months while researching various Taylor guitars I was considering purchasing.  Because it was Taylor-specific the info and opinions were much more specific and useful to me - although the Acoustic Guitar Forums is good too, just broader in scope, obviously.

I had narrowed my choice to Taylor primarily due to the sound I was looking for, and (to be honest about something many might consider superficial) I really like the use of Ebony (a real wood) vs the Richlite that the lower-end Martins are using.

When I discovered the 214ce QM Dlx was available, I really started digging, and this was one of the few places that even mentioned it.

And after purchasing, I decided to sign up, because clearly this isn't going to be my one and only Taylor.