Author Topic: having a guitar outside... in the sun/heat  (Read 1952 times)

Justiceandmercy

having a guitar outside... in the sun/heat
« on: January 02, 2012, 04:33:20 AM »
well its summer here in Sydney and I've been getting the urge to play my guitar outside and a few times I've been tempted to take it with to the beach or park to play while I am there but I'm a bit sheepish about taking it into the heat and sun worried I may damage the guitar... the temptation to busk outdoors has been beckoning me as well but again with the same fears I'm not sure how quickly I want to attempt it.... so any thoughts from any outdoor guitar playing vets that may have any tips or experiences to share about what to do or not do to keep a guitar safe for extended periods of time outdoors? 

Thnx

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
Re: having a guitar outside... in the sun/heat
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »
I played bluegrass festivals for 6 yrs in the '90s.Most were outside in the summer.As long as you don't leave it closed up in the sun for extended time,it should be fine. Just put it in the shade when you're not playin.
It gets really hot in S Mississippi.Guitars are made to be played(but not in the rain  LOL)
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

outsidenote

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
Having lived on the same latitude as Sydney I am guessing high humidity and 90s in summer, probably with a sea breeze.   If you are in the shade you should be OK.  I would avoid direct sunlight for long periods unless its comfortable for you.  If you are comfortable, you guitar will be OK.  Sunlight will tan your guitar a darker color over time but wont wont otherwise hurt it.  Heat will melt the glue and the first casualty will be bridge coming loose from string tension.  Don't leave it in a hot car or in a black case in direct sunlight.

I have taken my guitar to summer bluegrass festivals and it OK if I keep it in the shade.
Regards,
Tom

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »
I play all my guitars outside in the sun, I even take my GA5 to the beach with me sometimes, if your reasonably comfortable so will your guitar.

Try and not leave it in direct sunlight if you can, but direct sunlight with a towel over it would be much better than leaving it a case for long periods of time.

I would never leave my guitar in the car on a hot sunny day.
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

Raven

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 05:59:54 PM »
Heck if it's a Ovation you may even be able to boogie board with it !!!!   ;)  8)  :o
2012 Fall Limited GSce Quilted Sapele