Author Topic: Small Taylors - Question of Ease of Stowage on an Airplane  (Read 6245 times)

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
Small Taylors - Question of Ease of Stowage on an Airplane
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »
One of my daughter's music friends was recently hired as a flight attendant. She is a wonderful guitarist and loves to play her full size Breedlove. Unfortunately, this guitar is too big for her to comfortably take with her on an aircraft (also, she would be concerned with possible damage). However, she is thinking about getting a smaller guitar (possibly a Taylor) that she could comfortably bring with her. I've been telling her about the GS mini or the Baby Taylor as a possible travel guitar. In terms of ease of travel and stowage, does anyone know if the smaller Baby is significantly easier to stow on a plane than the GS Mini, or are they about the same? Thanks for any info you all can provide. I know stowage is a concern for her and I'm sure some of you know about this. Thanks!

2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

spieler

Re: Small Taylors - Question of Ease of Stowage on an Airplane
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:04:30 PM »
I think the way it works is, we wait a little while, and she tells us what will work, and what won't, The Insider's View.  ;)

Seriously, unless she's going to be out a guitar for an unbearable amount of time otherwise, might it not be best for her to experience her actual job conditions and see the storage available to her, then solicit recommendations based on real-time need? Or do you mean, her space requirements/availability will be the same as any other passenger's?

It would just be shame if she chose something inadequate when a larger size guitar would have been possible, or chose something she thought would fit and then can't bring it along regularly.

~ S.

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »
Or do you mean, her space requirements/availability will be the same as any other passenger's?

~ S.

Spieler - yes, I should have mentioned this. Her bin is the same one as the public uses.
2007 Taylor 612ce

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:00:18 AM »
The Baby is quite a bit smaller than the GS Mini, but both will fit in an overhead bin.  The Mini will provide a much better playing experience.  Both models look like guitars, so if she's trying to fly under the radar (no pun intended), a Voyage Air would be a better option, IMO.  She can put it in a backpack that will not be noticeable to a person "not in the know," and when she breaks it out, she'll have a full-sized guitar (dreadnaught or OM options) with a full-sized neck and full-sized tone. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 11:56:52 AM »
I take my Yamaha Silent Guitar with me whenever I travel, and nine times out of 10 the stews are happy to put it in the forward coat closet.  There's always room in there.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
The silent guitar is a thinner option and easier to get into tight places.  Sounds good in the earphones.

I've flown several times during the past year with the GS Mini and it's never been a problem, as long as you get on the plane early enough to grab some overhead stowage space. 
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Gibby

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
I had never heard of the Yamaha Silent guitar before, or the Traveling Guitar. I sent Sarah links to both of those to look at. Thanks for bringing this option to our attention!

Glen - sounds like the mini isn't that much different in size than the Baby and will provide a better playing experience. Thank you!
2007 Taylor 612ce

dkoloff

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 09:42:08 PM »
If you are willing to have the smaller body a CA Cargo is great...full size a Voyage Air is tough to beat.
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »
I had never heard of the Yamaha Silent guitar before, or the Traveling Guitar. I sent Sarah links to both of those to look at. Thanks for bringing this option to our attention!

Glen - sounds like the mini isn't that much different in size than the Baby and will provide a better playing experience. Thank you!

Yes, I think most would agree that that is true.  I still find the neck of the Mini to be a bit cramped (it feels tighter than a standard 1 11/16" nut...not sure what the string spacing is) and so it's always in the back of my mind as I play.  I will probably keep the Mini as a couch guitar, but for travels and deployments, I'm going to get a Voyage Air VAOM that I can put in a backpack.  It folds down smaller (you will get some grief from fellow travelers if you have to put the GSM in an overhead compartment b/c it eats up the whole thing) and it unfolds into a full-sized guitar with a 1 3/4" nut (my preferred dimensions). 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
I have a large collection of travel guitars and the GS Mini is probably the largest of the pack. Between it and the Baby Taylor there is no questions that the Baby T is easier to pack on a plane, but the GS Mini is a superior guitar. If it doesn't have to be a Taylor than there are other great options like the Voyage-air folding guitars and my personal favorite the Blackbird Rider.

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »
Guys - thanks for the ideas! I checked out all of your suggestions and have shared them with my daughter's friend. I had never seen a foldup guitar like the Voyage Air. Having the neck fold back really does a great job of reducing the storage requirements. Ted - I also checked out the Blackbird Rider. Thanks for your suggestions, guys :)
2007 Taylor 612ce

SoloTaylor

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »
I had a GS Mini, which i bought for travel. After 6 months i couldnt bond with it, so i sold it and bought the 214ce.

The 214ce is not a travel guitar, but i do take it with me while driving.

Solo :)
Cheers,

Solo