Author Topic: so a GT6 Baritone is headed my way as of today  (Read 3985 times)

darylcrisp

so a GT6 Baritone is headed my way as of today
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:26:04 PM »
a forum member and i swapped(his baritone for my GC 12 fret). its a whimsical situation if you look at it for both of us. I don't think either of us have played the respective model we are receiving, and dollar for dollar they are about identical. He will be going from the longest to the shortest in Taylor length and i reverse in going from shortest to longest. its actually a lot of fun. no loss of $ value, just a few bucks for shipping, and the possibility to try out a whole new process to make music, and the opportunity to make a trade with and develop a long distance trust and relationship with a fellow forumite. quite a neat opportunity, i invite all of you to try trades out with our buds on here. i've done a few and came out really smiling in all of them.

i have some neat ideas for this baritione that i think will work out really fine, i will report back after some experimentation. if it works, its highly possible one could take a baritone and have a capo along, and have a tremendous workhorse of an instrument-able to access standard tuning with the slip of a capo, and lush deep tunings for dropped and altered music-and the whole time have the venerable Taylor neck/playability.

and then again i may have dove into a concrete pool head first with no water................ ;D

will report back in a week or so with pictures and thoughts.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: so a GT6 Baritone is headed my way as of today
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »
Yeah, I saw that you had accomplished your trade ...congrats!  I thought for certain you'd be able to sell outright, given the love for Taylor's 12-frets of late, but the economy is what it is.  Trades seem to be the best bet for folks ...better than taking a bath on it.  Congrats!  ...and post pics on arrival :)

Edward

darylcrisp

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:17:25 AM »
Yeah, I saw that you had accomplished your trade ...congrats!  I thought for certain you'd be able to sell outright, given the love for Taylor's 12-frets of late, but the economy is what it is.  Trades seem to be the best bet for folks ...better than taking a bath on it.  Congrats!  ...and post pics on arrival :)

Edward

yes, i was very happy i had the trade offer for the Baritone-thats one i was highly interested in and you rarely see them for sale.

thanks for the thoughts E

d

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »
congrats on the GT6, d :)

i'm glad that you were able to work it out with the 12 fretter -
i'm wondering ... how much longer the incoming box will be ???

the 'rocket launcher' to back up the big gun :D

i promise, i won't bug you for another week or so ;)

have fun, but please, no diving in the shallow end of the pool ;D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

darylcrisp

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:26:14 AM »
congrats on the GT6, d :)

i'm glad that you were able to work it out with the 12 fretter -
i'm wondering ... how much longer the incoming box will be ???

the 'rocket launcher' to back up the big gun :D

i promise, i won't bug you for another week or so ;)

have fun, but please, no diving in the shallow end of the pool ;D

i think the Taylor is one of the more accessible baritones out there due to its 27" scale. What i noted in the taylor specs was the total length of the baritone gt6 and a regular GS8 are the same overall length at 41". that tells me the 27" scale neck must be moved further into the lower bout-i would assume that helps with the lower register on tone as well. not sure on all that, just my thoughts out in the open. everybody i talk with who has used it said it felt easy to use within moments.
no worries, you are no bother. received the UPS email-due to arrive Jan 5. ;)
d

e8n

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:29:13 AM »
They are indeed cool instruments.  I've really enjoyed playing the ones that I've had an opportunity to play but could never quite figure out what I'd do with one.  I'm looking forward to hearing of your new adventures with your new guitar.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:27:53 AM »
that tells me the 27" scale neck must be moved further into the lower bout-i would assume that helps with the lower register on tone as well.

Yes, that's precisely it. It's the same shape as a GS, but at first glance it looks a bit odd because the bridge is lower down. And these GT6s do have a satisfying low-end rumble to them. Congratulations!
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »

and then again i may have dove into a concrete pool head first with no water................ ;D

Hmmm... Perhaps that explains this nagging headache I've got...    :o

Don't worry, D - Plenty of water in the pool.  Got the heater cranked, too.  Dive on in!!!

Looking forward to the 12 fret.  Should be fun!
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:54:31 AM »
Congratulations, Daryl.  I play a GT6 every time I visit my local shop, and I just love the thing.  Perfect for those of us who have trouble singing in certain keys.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke