Author Topic: Tuning Stability  (Read 3275 times)

fdesalvo

Tuning Stability
« on: December 30, 2011, 11:25:22 AM »
I'm very OCD about tuning my guitars.  Every guitar I've owned had issues that needed to be sorted with a new or reslotted nut or other related work - and then it still had minor issues.  My LP comes to mind!  Then I bought this Taylor..

At first I was worried that I didn't see the Grover logo on the gears, as is the style on my friend's 414CE; instead, mine are branded, "Taylor".  My worries were unfounded.  This guitar is rock solid!  When it does drift, it's just a fraction of a cent, it seems, and is only detectable using a tuner.  I couldn't be happier with this aspect of the guitar!

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
Re: Tuning Stability
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:59:28 PM »
Love to read positive reviews like this, thanks for taking the time to post it.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:40:51 PM »
I've often wondered why some guitars go out of tune while cased between uses.
Do the strings slip where they attach to the tuning machine?  Is is a function of temperature changes, or humidity? 
Does the tension on the tuner actual move the gears?

My brother's Norma dreadnought seems like it always detunes itself a dozen cents between plays, pretty much all go a bit flat, I notice it more with the lower frequency strings.  This guitar has a Taylor-style paddlehead with exposed gear machines.
On the other hand, my Taylor (with Schaller M6's) seems to stay in tune for weeks!
Both are kept in the same room, under the same conditions, so my guess is it's something to do with the machines on the Norma, but I'm not certain.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »
I've often wondered why some guitars go out of tune while cased between uses.
Do the strings slip where they attach to the tuning machine?  Is is a function of temperature changes, or humidity? 
Does the tension on the tuner actual move the gears?

My brother's Norma dreadnought seems like it always detunes itself a dozen cents between plays, pretty much all go a bit flat, I notice it more with the lower frequency strings.  This guitar has a Taylor-style paddlehead with exposed gear machines.
On the other hand, my Taylor (with Schaller M6's) seems to stay in tune for weeks!
Both are kept in the same room, under the same conditions, so my guess is it's something to do with the machines on the Norma, but I'm not certain.
-K

The "engineering" part of my pea brain says I seriously doubt tuners are slipping simply because the gear ratio is too low (numerically high) for a string to "yank" the peg enough to rotate it, even if a fraction.  I am assuming decent tuners that are in proper working order, however, and I don't make any claims on the crummy pop-metal junk coming from china etc ...those are pure crap.  But for any halfway -decent machine head, lack of tuning stability is likely elsewhere.  BTW, the Ping tuners Taylor uses are far better than "halfway decent," IMHO.  I've never had any issue whatsoever with Taylor's tuners, ever, on every Taylor I've owned, and simply replaced with the Gotohs only because "I could" ;)

Most typical tuning maladies that I've personally seen (again, barring crap machines) are due to poor string-wrap technique.  Now I claim no expertise here, but I will say after decades of playing, my guitars simply don't slip, and those that waver (friends/acquaintences' guits) that have come across my path are corrected as soon as I show the guy how to wrap his strings.  Only once have I actually gone as far as change tuners because they were truly junk (as per my reference to the crap machines typical on many a low-cost import).

FWIW, my guitars have been hanging on a wall for over a decade now, RH always kept typically in the low 40s up to maybe 50% (any odd swings I correct for so never out of said range for more than a day).  And all the electrics clearly stay in tune, close to if not perfect, and if not 100% will deviate only a tad, but oh so little.  The acoustics, OTOH, despite the RH stability of the room, just seem to "breathe" as they will go sharp or flat, but only very little, and said changes seem to correspond exactly to weather changes.  So despite all the guitars being in the room same env't, and that they all stay really close to in tune, the acoustics clearly drift more than the infinitessimal amount the electrics do.  Not terribly so, but noticible, to be sure.  The informal conclusion one can draw is pretty clear: acoustics' tops rise and fall, thus changing the guitar's geometry, hence state of tune.  Electrics: nada ...too "solid" for the minor RH changes to even register a discernible difference (I suppose extreme changes would alter an electric, but I ain't experimenting with that!).  Also worth mentioning is that they all get played, some more than others, but they all get regular play so I do keep tabs on em.

Hey K,
I've long heard/read of folks with tuning instability on their LPs, but my current two and past others have never exhibited tuning instability.  Perhaps you've got another issue going on there?

So to the OP, my opinion on this is given a stable environment, if the tuning drifts a little, that's part and parcel of the wood swelling/drying as one would expect.  But any more than " a little" drift" and I'd say one would do well to check string wrap technique, then perhaps crud tuners.
...food for thought from my humble experience, anyway :)

Edward
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:50:09 PM by Edward »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 07:24:53 PM »
i'm glad you're happy with your 414ce, Frank :)
out of all the examples i've played, i've found the ovangkol models to be consistently nice

the Taylor tuners are sourced from Ping & there was some retooling done to help minimize tuner 'backlash' -
18:1 ratio, they are lighter & more streamlined in appearance (thinner, more angular buttons) than the Grovers

they're nice tuners - it took me some getting used to, aesthetically, as i was used to seeing the Grover shape buttons

tension can be adjusted, depending on the tuning machine, by the screw securing the button to the tuner shaft, the
screw holding the 'ring' gear to the tuner post (open back) & some have an adjustment at the tuner body also

the Gotoh 510s Z/Delta (21:1) ratio, used on the current 900/PS are 'rock-solid', in that the tuner posts have zero backlash,
(no sideplay/rattle) when they're not under tension - the 510 18:1s & 300 series (14/16/18:1 ) are also 'rock-solid' (Gotoh's term)

temperature & humidity can be a contributing factor to tuning stability, imho, provided
the issue is not with the tuners, nut slots, strings (metal fatigue), or string up procedure

i had a (i hope it's ok to mention this here) carbon fiber guitar & i likened it to what a Taylor CF14ce might be like -
the tune would go sharp if it was extremely cold (string 'shinkage'), but on a wood guitar in warm temperatures
the tuning could go flat ... under extreme heat & humidity, the tuning & other parts of the guitar, could go 'way out'

sorry if this seems to be a 'repeat' - just a lot of good information in this thread, imho :D

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jannie

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:06:28 AM »
To the OP, I have been obsessed with a similar type of perfection in other areas of my life in the past and understand it well as well as acknowledge the thrill of getting it perfect and I won't discount the focus and all of the effort that takes.

For me the best way to do this is to go all the way right from the beginning, get the very best of the very best and find the craftspeople who are perfect to make it good from the very beginning efforts.

Then for me it's important to go find something to just have fun doing, in my case I desire a perfection fingerstyle guitar and another to jaunty around with, that looks nice, sounds nice, is fun to play but one that I can depend upon without worrying about if everything about it is perfect. It's taken me years to get to this place but it's a lot more enjoyable and yet when it becomes necessary I go for the perfection and the fun, whether separate or in the same effort.

Um, maybe that was confusing, I hope someone benefits, it's cost me bazillions in time and effort to be able to actually accomplish this.